RC10T White Ball Cups

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

VintageFanatic
Approved Member

RC10T White Ball Cups

Post by VintageFanatic »

Working on my #7001 restoration and can't find any original #6274 white ball cups for the project - at least not for a reasonable price :roll: . I've searched around a bit and haven't come across any information on the parts compatibility between the original #6274 cups and the new ones (#6279). Does anyone know if these new ones will fit properly?

Here's the part at Tower: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDSWH&P=7
Ryan

GoMachV

Re: RC10T White Ball Cups

Post by GoMachV »

They fit just fine, and as an added bonus are glow in the dark green color :roll:

But seriously....yes they will fit properly. You probably won't like the color
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

VintageFanatic
Approved Member

Post by VintageFanatic »

Thanks for confirming the fit - they look slightly different when comparing photos. The originals off the truck appear to be a sort of 1/2 hex design, the new #6279 looks like the photo below with a hex shape running the full length. As for the color, is it just too white compared to the older cups?

I might have to wait and try to buy some originals that will look period correct :shock:
Attachments
6279_md.jpg
6279_md.jpg (41.99 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
6279_md.jpg
6279_md.jpg (41.99 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
Ryan

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

If you have a 7001 then you would have the old style 1/2 hex cups from kit form. Hard to find and darned pricey when you do- But the full hexes came on all the other trucks after the 7001, so really your still good on the period

VintageFanatic
Approved Member

Post by VintageFanatic »

Thanks for the input Reggie. I'm trying to decide how particular I'm going to be on this restoration. I can't help but think I'm not doing a true restoration if they're not the parts that would have come in the kit. Maybe my OCD is getting the best of me :lol:

I have the cups that came with the truck, but they are in bad shape. The first round of UV/peroxide didn't whiten them quite as much as I would have liked.
Ryan

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

I have set of the new white ball cups. Not to happy with them splitting at the threads when installing them on associated steel turnbuckels. Started them straight on the threads and just after a few turns 3 out of the 12 split. The new material seems more like plastic than nylon.

VintageFanatic
Approved Member

Post by VintageFanatic »

That doesn't sound good...thanks for the heads up on that.

I'm going to try and clean up the originals some more and see how that goes...the only originals I could find on ebay recently sold for $30 and it was incomplete set of 9!!!
Ryan