Optima Mid Racer Build

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

Re: Optima Mid Racer Build

Post by GoMachV »

Add to that, I don't know what material Jake used but it is some TOUGH stuff.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

As far as I know the nylon is very strong

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

DennisM wrote:If it´s for racing purpose, I don´t get the idea of using nylon arms over the fibre reinforced plastic original lazer arms?
I agree it looks sweet, but a downgrade from the originals if You want to race the thing
I would not consider these arms a downgrade in the slightest bit. The arms are machined from Nylon 6/6 which is not brittle and is actually difficult to machine properly. I have machined probably 100 sets of arms from this material, ran my own Mid with these exact arms, raced other cars with arms from this same material and have heard of 0 failures. If you don't think my Mid has taken some hard hits...I have broken shock towers and the rear wing mount.

The reason I machined the arms, simple...the originals are not the easiest thing to come by and I need something that would work.

Mike, no need to worry, the arms will outlast the car.

Jake

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Your nylon arms looks cool Jake - No doubt.
Just saying that nylon hasn´t got the same characteristics as the fibre reinforced plastics used in Kyosho´s Lazer arms.
Gone fishing

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Im not worried i know they are as tough as nails! :D

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

isobarik wrote:if you are using the c hubs from the mid on the lazer arms the 65.5 unis will be to short but then again it will also be to wide to race with.

65.5 unis and lazer arms and zx5 c-hubs la-219-7 there is now way jose they are to short i use them myself.

the 73 mm unis are for the zx-5 sp / sp2 since they have copied losis setup i think the axle itself should be to short for the zx-5 hubs la 219-4/7/9

mvh Isobarik
Sorry to bust your bubble but I am using LA219-7 outers with 73mm unis and the car is within IFMAR rules. A 4wd car maximum width is 250mm or 9.842 inches. The car I built with wheels (exact setup as Mike is building) measures at exactly 249mm. So I ask how is this car to wide to race??? :roll: You sound just like the dude from Oople telling me the car isn't going to turn building it this way...good thing I listened to him, huh. I initially purchased 65.5 unis to find they did not reach the outdrives.
Attachments
IMG_20140221_082849710.jpg

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

fiber reinforced arms are most likely nylon 6/6 matrix, and the fiber is added for stiffness. pure nylon is more flexible, but in this application, plenty stiff enough.

the stuff jake is using also cast plate, so it's very dense and homogenous, it's got less chance of voids and shadowing you might get in a mold cavity. So it's as strong as any molded part, provided there are no sharp 'notches' in the machined part, which would create a stress riser.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

My understanding of a Race buggy, is using the best available components within reasonable limits, of course.
When You use nylon arms instead of available FRP arms, it´s a step down in my book.
I´m not arguing Jakes skills - I´m arguing the choise of suspension arms for a purpose built race buggy.
6-6 nylon is tough, strong, will hold a tractor and so on - But it doesn´t carry the same characteristics as fibre reinforced plastic.

I think You´re all capeable and knowledged people - but the developers behind the entire pro buggy rc industry can´t be of on this matter, or?
:wink:
Gone fishing

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

But we are also talking about taking a 25 plus year old buggy and putting it on the track using a variety of newer easily acquired parts. Some things are just not going to be readily available at the drop of a hat. I guess one could argue the same about the arms I made but the difference is I can always make more of them, in a matter of minutes.

I designed these arms and modified the lenths so I could use the latest and greatest Kyosho 4wd wheel on the market simply for ease of finding them in the US. As we all know, tracks eat tires, you need multiple sets, etc. I would much rather have a set of arms that will last as well as perform just as good as the factory arms and also have the convenience of having a readily available wheel that I can pull off the shelf at the local track. Sure I could have went with a different wheel but this is the one I chose. :D

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

The manufacturers do use 6/6, that's what associated used in the rc10's for years. The difference is that they injection molded it (except the prototype car) vs jake using a "Billet". I know with aluminum that id take billet over cast any day. They also use it for prototyping, as seen on vintagemishal's mip 4-10 and cat3k's prototype shuey.

Anyone that wants to contribute a injection molding machine I'm sure jake would hop right on those molds he was making a while back :mrgreen:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

So You guys are telling me that the 6-6 nylon arms has a more efficient/or just as efficient way of leading the the impact energy to the shock absorber, than/as the factory FRP ZX lazer arms?

Just checking the calendar to see it´s the 1. of April :wink:
Gone fishing

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Not a nylonergist lol but I'm saying it's not that rare to see 6/6 used

I would probably just recommend staying with the kyosho parts your familiar with but when those run out then have a look at the arms Jake is kind enough to offer us at a very reasonable price.

Btw, why all the hate for these arms by Jake when nobody hops on dynotech and tells them that their arms are junk? They charge a lot more for theirs too!
Factory Works website

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

gomachv wrote:Not a nylonergist lol but I'm saying it's not that rare to see 6/6 used

I would probably just recommend staying with the kyosho parts your familiar with but when those run out then have a look at the arms Jake is kind enough to offer us at a very reasonable price.

Btw, why all the hate for these arms by Jake when nobody hops on dynotech and tells them that their arms are junk? They charge a lot more for theirs too!
I´m not hating Jakes arms, heck I even like his legs :D
If the explanation was that Jakes suspension arms were chosen over the stock arms because of their cool looks, I would have zipped it long time ago. :wink:
Gone fishing

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

I chose his arms for my build because i like how they look and they are extremely durable just like all the other nylon arms that are being ran on all the WOIN rc10's

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Hey Mike I could easily squash this discussion and purchase glass filled nylon 6/6 and run a set for you :P

HMMM...http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-sheets/=qso9a2

Jake