My first Kyosho Optima

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slapshot1979
Approved Member

My first Kyosho Optima

Post by slapshot1979 »

Well im not a regular around these "kyosho" parts but I have ventured into a Optima build after a score from kijiji sale ads.

I stripped the car completely and started the cleaning and polishing.
and heres how it sits currently. Im happy overall but want to take apart again and do some more polishing as Im not 100% happy with shine and I know I can get it better. New tires/body/decals on order from Marwan.

Heres the one problem I have. after some research I found that its common to have the front aluminum kickup plate bent of broken. well it was bent and I firgurd I could rework and polish back into shape.......... I broke it...I suck I know.
I will open a Wanted thread.

Overall I am very impressed with this car, the design and how things fit are very nice.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: My first Kyosho Optima

Post by Coelacanth »

That chin skidplate is almost always bent in used, bashed Optimas. If you were just planning to make it a runner, you could've just hack-sawed off the kicked-up part and not use the U-shaped bumper brace at all--which is also often broken. You wouldn't install the front stabilizer if you went this route, the Optima's front suspension is already excellent. The problem you have is you also cracked open one of the screw holes, so you'll probably need that whole chin skidplate--and finding one in good condition is not going to be easy.

If you wanted to go the route I mentioned, PM me, I have a number of those parts that are all bent in the front, but are good everywhere else.

Your shock towers look straight, those are also often bent, so you're lucky there.

The resto is looking good so far, looking forward to the rest! 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RC10Eh
Approved Member

Post by RC10Eh »

One will pop up , they always do . I would be more worried about finding shock collars but yours look to be in good shape . Great car for your first Kyosho . Nice work . I have a buddy out west that might have your part you need , waiting on a reply .

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Thanks Guys, I will wait to see if one come up.
I looked at the hot trick front u brace that attaches to this plate and looks fairly easy to recreate or I may look into having a buddy 3D print one.

Doesnt appear to be used very much but enough thats its not NIB :lol:

I was planning on keeping as much spring weight off the collars as possible to maybe help with collar preservation but the front has to be down that low to miss the inner link mount.

This will be a shelfer as I dont run much of my older cars anymore aside from the xx4. Recreating the boxart paint job looks like a fun challenge.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

It might seem costly,, but an aluminum welding shop might be able to stick it together for ,,,, 30-40 bucks? You have chosen a very good subject matter. The optima is a fantastic car. Good ole Marwan! His bodies are nice,, and now tires too.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Looks like you're off to a good start. I had a real love/hate relationship with my Optima during its restoration. It's an iconic, complex, beautifully designed piece of machinery, with all those aluminum parts and that intricate chain drive system, but man, finding decent parts for reasonable prices will drive you insane. And then, when it's done, you can't bear to drive it, even if you originally planned to, because it's so clean and pretty and you remember how much work and time and money it took to get it that way. I'm glad I did it, and I'll never sell it, but I am in no hurry to try it again...

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I can TIG weld but it appears to be more on the side of white metal than aluminum,
I do alot of fabricating as a job and never ever had a piece of aluminum break like that. The grain structure looks porus, kinda like cast.
If I can find a replacement I may try and weld it, but I can currently use it the way it is but If I strike a piece of tungsten against it and it goes poof. Im screwed.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

If you find another and its bent,, then perhaps heat it up before trying to re work it?

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Yes I agree. If I do find another I will do some experimenting with this old one to try and maybe help some others, 1 would be to heat and bend and the other would be to TIG weld it. Keep you posted.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

This one was in bad shape - used a couple of aluminum bars and a vise to straighten it up.

It´s not a hinge You know :mrgreen:

Now that You´re one of the guys - You can PM me Your post address if You want it :wink:
Attachments
IMAG0812.jpg
Gone fishing

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Dennis your awsome. PM coming your way.

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

Nice Optima you have there Slapshot, I've got a few myself. Can't say I've seen the lower guard broken like that before. I'm surprized Pargu hasn't started making repro's of this part yet, speaking of Pargu, have you considered one of his front braces?

Keith :wink:

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I wasnt aware that It was being reproduced. Thanks Ill have a look.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

keithrc wrote:Nice Optima you have there Slapshot, I've got a few myself. Can't say I've seen the lower guard broken like that before. I'm surprized Pargu hasn't started making repro's of this part yet, speaking of Pargu, have you considered one of his front braces?

Just saw this pop up....apparently there is a repro skid now
http://bit.ly/1dDlv1y
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

gomachv wrote:
keithrc wrote:Nice Optima you have there Slapshot, I've got a few myself. Can't say I've seen the lower guard broken like that before. I'm surprized Pargu hasn't started making repro's of this part yet, speaking of Pargu, have you considered one of his front braces?

Just saw this pop up....apparently there is a repro skid now
http://bit.ly/1dDlv1y
That´s a nice piece of metal - cool
Gone fishing