National Corvette Museum Sinkhole

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CamplinP
Approved Member

Re: National Corvette Museum Sinkhole

Post by CamplinP »

That freaking sucks. There sure have been a lot of sinkholes lately. I think it is from all those man eating worms.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

biff85ta
Approved Member

Post by biff85ta »

scr8p wrote:i love driving my dad's 66 coupe. 327/350hp, 4sp, manual steering. and if the right 68-73 comes along, i'll have my own. they're in more of a reasonable price range for me compared to the 63-67, and the 74-82....... the rubber bumpered cars would be a last resort for me, and would have to be a hell of a buy. :wink:

my dad's car is an unrestored survivor, with one repaint in the early 70's (original color). while it's respected for what it is, neither my dad or myself have any issue with putting it through it's paces. :mrgreen:
My father inlaw had an 81. I was sorely disappointed with that car. It was slow and just flat out junk. Every time I fixed one thing two more would break somewhere else on the car.

I just bought an 88 C4 yesterday and while the L98 is no huge hp motor the torque is fun. :D It isn't the nicest or prettiest but I bought it right and should be able to putz around with it here and there and basically get to drive it for nearly free for a year or two.
"It is not how you finish but how you qualify unless you qualify bad then it is how you finish."
Words of wisdom from the Cox bros at my local track.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i thought about picking up a C4 vette. you can get decent ones for fairly good prices these days.

then when i get tired of it, i'll pull the drive train and suspension from it, buy/build a tri-five C4 frame, and slide it all under my 55 chevy. :wink:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

CamplinP wrote:There sure have been a lot of sinkholes lately.
I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering if it's always been that way and they're just getting reported more now or what. My daughter's Summer Camp visited that museum last Summer. Of course being an 8 year old girl she had more fun on the bus ride there than the visit itself. Vettes aren't the most comfortable to sit in I'd agree, but I love the way a lot of them look. Shame this happened, but at least no one was there when it did. Makes you wonder about the rest of the place. I'd be a bit nervous walking around in there personally.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

scr8p wrote: 1993 ZR-1 Spyder on loan from General Motors
2009 ZR1 “Blue Devil” on loan from General Motors
The other six vehicles were owned by the National Corvette Museum including:
1962 Black Corvette
1984 PPG Pace Car
1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette
2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
2009 White 1.5 Millionth Corvette
Wow... that's quite a loss... I'm not a Corvette lover but I can certainly appreciate the rarity and uniqueness to these. Sucks big time...

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

klavy69 wrote:I was always told if you build something over a big ole hole in the ground (cavern in this case) that you better have good insurance. Too bad it wasn't the mustang museum :lol: . (just beating someone else to that line :mrgreen: )

Todd
I fixed it for you! :P :mrgreen:

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

slotcarrod wrote:
klavy69 wrote:I was always told if you build something over a big ole hole in the ground (cavern in this case) that you better have good insurance. Too bad it wasn't the mopar museum :lol: . (just beating someone else to that line :mrgreen: )

Todd
I fixed it for you! :P :mrgreen:

I also agree with Todd that all chevy should be erased from this earthly realm and we should replace the sun with a blue oval :P :mrgreen:
there Rod...I fixed your fixation for you :lol: :mrgreen:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

only problem is there is no mopar museum. after the rust there's nothing left. :lol:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

biff,

you can get some decent performance out of the last series of SBC, utilizing some DIY efi stuff with vortec parts and newer PCM's. Check thirdgen.org for lots of TPI and EFI info. Before I spent a ton of time on this forum, that was the site I spent a great deal of time on. Mini-ram, stealth ram, etc. lots of options. corvette hood is little tough with low profile, but lots of info to read. you can get killer aluminum heads now really cheaply and strokers are mainstream.

biff85ta
Approved Member

Post by biff85ta »

jwscab wrote:biff,

you can get some decent performance out of the last series of SBC, utilizing some DIY efi stuff with vortec parts and newer PCM's. Check thirdgen.org for lots of TPI and EFI info. Before I spent a ton of time on this forum, that was the site I spent a great deal of time on. Mini-ram, stealth ram, etc. lots of options. corvette hood is little tough with low profile, but lots of info to read. you can get killer aluminum heads now really cheaply and strokers are mainstream.

I am a ten year member on there. The 85ta part of my screen name refers to my 85 Trans Am I had when I registered there. I need to find my Moates cable I have out in the garage so I can scan again.

P.S. Do you have a copy of freescan you could email me? I can't seem to find it anymore.
"It is not how you finish but how you qualify unless you qualify bad then it is how you finish."

biff85ta
Approved Member

Post by biff85ta »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
CamplinP wrote:There sure have been a lot of sinkholes lately.
I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering if it's always been that way and they're just getting reported more now or what. My daughter's Summer Camp visited that museum last Summer. Of course being an 8 year old girl she had more fun on the bus ride there than the visit itself. Vettes aren't the most comfortable to sit in I'd agree, but I love the way a lot of them look. Shame this happened, but at least no one was there when it did. Makes you wonder about the rest of the place. I'd be a bit nervous walking around in there personally.

Sitting in my vette is comfortable it is getting in and out that is the problem. :lol: Come down and race with us at Alpha one saturday and I will let you take it around the block.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

I would be there in heartbeat, great car, great performance, great looks. I will own many one day.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I read about this a few days ago, what a shame. There's a network of caverns in the area and apparently this museum happened to be built over a part of it. Over time the cavern enlarged until it collapsed.

Not too long ago I spent an entire year looking for a new vehicle and for a while I had my heart set on a Corvette. I was looking at mid 70s to mid 90s ones as those fell into the price range I could afford. I ultimately decided that Corvettes were way too dime a dozen and wanted to go in a more unique direction. At the end of the day though I wouldn't say no to ever owning one.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

scr8p wrote:
uniquenamehere wrote:Wow... did they lose any rare corvettes? Thats crazy... :(
2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
A former colleague of mine once asked if I knew the Vette Mallett... (Its my last name too) Wish I could claim relation, but unfortunately I cannot.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Yeah I might have freescan i'll take a look for you, its been awhile. I probably have chatted with you before then on thirdgen. My screen name is the same.