Recomendations for tires that fit 2.0 rims

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Recomendations for tires that fit 2.0 rims

Post by rccars4sal »

Im looking for tires that fit 2.0 rims. Most everything on ebay that comes up in a search of 2.0 tires is a proline 2.0 which does not refer to size, but rather a version type and most are 1/8 scale. Anybody have parts numbers for different brands to search for? Spikes, pins, slicks, street especially as my classic runners will not see much dirt.

Also, got tips for tires to fit progress gallop wheels?

clm
Approved Member

Re: Recomendations for tires that fit 2.0 rims

Post by clm »

Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

There is a thread on this board somewhere that deals with specifically this situation and has alot of useful information in it...just can't find it :oops: . Maybe someone that knows which thread I'm talkin about can chime in...

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

For road tires, CustomWorks makes a treaded rear tire that's a perfect fit for 2" wheels; these fit perfectly on 2" Turbo Optima wheels (they need foams to have the proper fullness, though):

http://www.customworksrc.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=800004CE-1200011308

If I'm not mistaken, Tamiya Hotshot-style tires also fit 2" wheels, and since those are re-re's, tires are easy to find. P/N: 9804446 and 9805111:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=9804446

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-2-Tire-Set-for-HOT-SHOT-Rear-pair-for-SUPER-SHOT-BOOMERANG-/221240734882?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3382f9b4a2
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

klavy69 wrote:There is a thread on this board somewhere that deals with specifically this situation and has alot of useful information in it...just can't find it :oops: . Maybe someone that knows which thread I'm talkin about can chime in...

Todd
Todd, you might be referring to this thread about the Dirt Paw 2.0 tires which fit beautifully on Turbo Optima-sized wheels, and look a lot like the original tires, too. Problem was, they were only available in Europe. A few of us got together with a forum member there for a group purchase and I ended up with a few sets. Very nice tires. (EDIT: At least with these tires, the "2.0" referred to the wheel diameter, not a car version.)

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20140
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Just got finished going through my tires and wheels. Full set of 4 rear width white optima mid rally rims 2.0, with kyosho rally tires on them. Full set of front and rear yellow mid rims. Mini lst tires fit the wide rear rims nicely, but nothing seems to fit the narrow fronts. A pair of proline 2.0 rear width rims with new tamiya super gripper hot shot tires on them, but only 2 of each. There are some of the losi step pins in 2.0 on ebay, but looks like all wide for rear rim. Would like to find some road hawgs or street hawgs or something like that for the white rally rims,, then I would let some lucky collector get the rally tires. Those custom works tires look pretty good.

mugenbulldog
Approved Member

Post by mugenbulldog »

I got a set of narrow front wheels and tires from a guy in the uk who had bought all of kyoshos old stock, they are the same tread pattern as the dirt paws. Maybe his name is Miles? I don't recall, it was a few years ago. Marwan reproduced the tires from the turbo optima / optima mid.

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

rccars4sal wrote:Just got finished going through my tires and wheels. Full set of 4 rear width white optima mid rally rims 2.0, with kyosho rally tires on them. Full set of front and rear yellow mid rims. Mini lst tires fit the wide rear rims nicely, but nothing seems to fit the narrow fronts. A pair of proline 2.0 rear width rims with new tamiya super gripper hot shot tires on them, but only 2 of each. There are some of the losi step pins in 2.0 on ebay, but looks like all wide for rear rim. Would like to find some road hawgs or street hawgs or something like that for the white rally rims,, then I would let some lucky collector get the rally tires. Those custom works tires look pretty good.

Imex makes or made a ton of clones all in 2.0" size and Bob Stormer has 10,000 schumacher tires from the late 80's and early 90's. Yokomo tires are still fairly an easy find................especially the narrow 4wd fronts.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

not that thread. There was a thread asking for replacement tires in 2.0 size either in the rc10 section somewhere or in the tech thread. It listed alot of tires in rears and some fronts IIRC. But it was primarily the same question being asked here...just in another section...and I still can't find it :oops:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Thinking that my needs and tastes are running more in the direction of street and multi use treads. I just cant run these things off road. No track near here any more, so round these parts, off road means rocks, mud, stumps, curbs. We have a couple purpose built bashers just for that stuff. For 2.2 stuff the dirt hawgs seem to work extremely well, especially on road, but off road too. Would be nice if pro line offered them in a 2.0 size. Back in the day we also ran street hawgs, sedan hawgs, and road rages, but those are few and far between in vintage sizes.

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

Attachments
32mm IMEX SEDAN HAWG  2.0 I.D..jpg

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I think thats the one! A set of those to replace the kyosho rally tires. Thanks for all the tips! Knowing what to look for now, Im finding all sorts of hotshot, yokomo and cat tires on ebay . Going to order up some of those imex sedan hawgs and put those on celica gt4. It needs chunky tires anyway. Theres a whole grip of mids going to need tires too.

Also found that the newer hpi rally wr8 uses a 1.9 rim size for the rally tires. It then steps up to 2.2 for the tarmac tires. So, for those interested, the hot bodies and hpi wr8 gravel rally tires might work on vintage 2.0 rims.

There are also some chunky crawler and truck tires in 2.0 rim size, but sidewalls are high and they are made to flex at low speeds,, so might not be any good for more than looks or crawling.

Still a good supply of OG hpi rally tires in sedan and 2.2 size also. Kyosho Superten rollers still on the market too but pricey, and also 2.2.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Now for the progress tires,,, anybody know if vintage tamiya brat f150 tires will fit on progress gallop rims? You folks ever really run a progress hard? They are rip snortin fun and well worth the effort to keep a runner on hand.

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

Apologies y'all...I'm still having a heckuva time finding a set of STREET tires for this sucker. I'm never 100% sure they are going to be a direct fit with no modifications/adapters required. I like those IMEX tires, but on their site it's not clear which rims will work. Kyosho only has block patterns to order as "option" parts, and nothing designed for the street. I know there are tons of options out there but I'm just sure I'm going to wind up ordering the wrong ones. I'd prefer a premounted set. I'd sure appreciate it if anyone could post some specific combos that are the same size as the OEM sets or close enough not to notice. Thanks!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I doubt those Imex Sedan Hawg tires linked earlier would work. They're meant for 26mm touring/drifter car wheels that are too narrow. 2.0" vintage rims are typically meant for tires that are at least 32 - 37 mm wide...at least for rears or 4WD cars.

I too would be interested to source decent asphalt tires to fit 2.0" vintage wheels, tires that would be around 35 mm wide.