Project World's Re-united

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jaro
Approved Member

Project World's Re-united

Post by jaro »

Recently I was lucky enough to get my bodyshell back from the last RC10 I had when I gave up racing in 1995.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31945

Well since then I have been lucky to find that many parts of that same RC10 still exist in different forms, with the same person I got my body back from :D And he has generously said I can have them back if I replace the items with similar parts. So as you see the plan is to rebuild a Worlds car with the same parts I had almost 20 years ago. At this stage I probably have a good percentage of the parts, whilst he will also check through other bits he has on anything else he can find, but I'm thinking I could probably get this back to around 80% original parts.

Parts have some signs of been raced over 20 years, but generally they looked to be in good condition and the plan is to race car anyhow, so the car doesn't have to be pristine.

Hopefully I will be able to update on the cars progress, this is some of the parts I need to go through for starters. This project has a very special feel for me, so hopefully it doesn't take to long.
w002s.jpg
w001s.jpg

jaro
Approved Member

Re: Project World's Re-united

Post by jaro »

Parts saved so far from the original car.

The bulkhead and battery cup were beyond saving after been chopped about so much for the old battery connections. Stealth gearbox is complete, which I have stripped down for a rebuild. The other pair of turnbuckles are on my CE at the moment, although they have black ballcups. Most the hardware is still there, although I will probably replace the screws and bearings. One of the nose brace tubes is slightly bent and it may be possible to straighten. I'm still hoping to get the original shocks back as well. There are a few bits I don't have and will need to replaced but it's a start :D
w005s.jpg
And as for the truck that I rescued the parts from, that's nearly back together with the gearbox awaiting a rebuild.
w010s.jpg

bruiser
Approved Member

Post by bruiser »

Cool project, it will be well worth the effort when your done. I think the worlds car is like the Shelby mustang of RC10s.

jaro
Approved Member

Post by jaro »

Can anyone tell me if the blue alloy screws were available in 1994/5, I seem to remember changing them at some stage, as an alternative to the plain silver ones, but it could be my imagination.

bruiser, love your comment on comparing the Worlds to a Shelby Mustang :)

bruiser
Approved Member

Post by bruiser »

I don't remember the factory team blue screw coming out until the late 90's but I could be wrong. I am sure someone else will chime in.

jaro
Approved Member

Post by jaro »

Bit of an update on my old Worlds car.

I realised I couldn't use, or get every part back but around 80% is original. I also felt that as this is going to be a runner, then parts are going to need replacing or upgrading over time, so I went with a bit of a compromise.

Firstly I decided to cut down the chassis sides and round off the corners, just because I prefer this look. I also replaced most the nuts & bolts with new, this has meant using blue ally screws as I didn't have enough of the silver. The shocks I couldn't find the originals so have fitted B2 ones with gold shafts. The fronts being 0.89, means I will need to fit a custom front shock tower, or fit 0.71 shocks.

Other parts I have or had to replace are:
Front uprights as one was damaged, I went with black as I had dyed the originals black 20 years ago, along with steering arms and rear uprights which are still the original ones I dyed back then.
Nose brace tubes (Re-re) as one of the originals is slightly bent.
Ballcups (Re-re).
Body posts (Re-re).
Battery cup is an old one I had lying around.
Rear bulkhead (Re-re) with caber lugs cut off, as original was much cut up.
Wing tubes (Re-re).
RPM Hydradrive gear cover, which was from original but may fit a standard Associated one.
B2 universal drive shafts with 3/16 x 3/8 flanged bearing.
B2 wheels all round, as I have a few sets.

Things still to do are:
Steering bellcranks, awaiting re-release from Associated.
Battery strap, which I'm finding impossible to find.

This has been an enjoyable project, of which the AE re-release has made it a little easier to complete and will hopefully help with much needed spares in the future.
w006s.jpg
w007s.jpg
w008s.jpg
w010s.jpg
w011s.jpg
w012s.jpg

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Congrats on being able to get that back...Should make a nice racer...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

zleader
Approved Member

Post by zleader »

looks great.. Hope mine turns out close.

jaro
Approved Member

Post by jaro »

So I could save the originals, I got some 3mm carbon shock mounts from Fibre-Lyte in the UK, for my car today. I also had the front altered to accept 0.89 shocks instead of the standard 0.71 as explained in my other post.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=33388
w015s.jpg
w018s.jpg
w021s.jpg
w022s.jpg
w025s.jpg
w030s.jpg

bruiser
Approved Member

Post by bruiser »

Wow, looks great. I like how the cut down edges on the aluminum stand out. The paint on the body really ties the wheels in too.

ClemsonRC10

Post by ClemsonRC10 »

Very nice! :mrgreen: