Modern 2wd - TeamC TM2 Mid Mount - Vintage Content Pg.3

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: Another Modern 2wd - TeamC TM2 Mid Mount

Post by DerbyDan »

Raced again at my local indoor club last night... well chuffed, I finished 3rd ahead of two 4wd cars & not too far behind two drivers who are both regular UK National A finalists! 8)

P.S; David Poulter was also running a TeamC TM2 - last night was only the 2nd time that he had run it!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: Another Modern 2wd - TeamC TM2 Mid Mount

Post by DerbyDan »

Ran the TM2 again on Saturday at the Hinckley grass track that I raced at a few weeks previous...

The layout was nice & flowing but quite technical despite the addition of only two man-made ramps. Was a very enjoyable day with lovely weather & a really relaxed friendly atmosphere.

I ran my TM2 & my mate ran his Associated B3, I took TQ (pole position) & taking the O/A win in the 2wd A final - where as my mate was well pleased with his 'Pole' in the B final which also led from the start to finish taking the win.

Qualifying was done by the round by round method to help even things out with the varying track condition as the grass wears & with my first three round scores giving me three '0's it meant that my pole position was secure... even if any of the other drivers beat my best run time! So for the last round I took the JRX2 out for a play! I think I took 4th O/A in round!

O/A view of the track;

TM2 in flight;

B3 in action!

New Skool - Old Skool - Mid Skool!

I really enjoyed running the JRX2 in that last qualifying run - but I reverted back to the TeamC car for the final. Myself & my mate weren't the only vintage fans with Ken (Cobra on here) running his trusty RC10 Team Car;

Also Steve Haskins of Penguin Bodyshells had a play with his 6.5BL equipped ProCat during practice - he also had a super rare modified HotShot that belonged to Jimmy Davis that he let his daughter play with whilst we packed the track away - which was very brave of him I thought! Wish i'd got a photo of that car as i'm sure it would be of interest to many of you :roll:

fredswain
Approved Member

Re: Modern 2wd - TeamC TM2 Mid Mount - Vintage Content Pg.3

Post by fredswain »

Just out of curiosity, what is the wheelbase of this car?
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

had one of these cars in hand last night, running here is SoCal, on a dirt track...did pretty darn good too.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

JK Racing wrote:had one of these cars in hand last night, running here is SoCal, on a dirt track...did pretty darn good too.
Was the dirt track loose or hard pack/high grip? Would be interested to hear how it did & what kind of set up the guy was running... I've only ever run mine TM2 on high grip surfaces & its been great, but all the discussion on the forums is talking about modifcations to increase rear end traction when conditions get wet/slippery.

P.S; I trust you got my PM Fredswain.... approx' 290mm between axle c.ls :wink:

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

he didnt run the main, he rebuilt the diff and dropped it in backwards :lol:

Team C has 3 full factory drivers at my local track, 2 will have the TM2 and TM2SC, I cant wait to see them shake the car down and get it working well.

Medium to High traction outdoor packed track, dusty & off-line loose, but racing line is great. Daytime holeshot type track, at night, when it holds the moisture - awesome traction. Any tire works at night, I ran Panther Rattler II rear and Scrubs front (soft & M3) for out main that night. During the day, Holeshots & Rips (M3 & Green).
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

JK Racing wrote:he didnt run the main, he rebuilt the diff and dropped it in backwards :lol:
Doh! I've seen a few people do that!! :lol:

I'm afraid you are talking double-dutch to me regarding tyres.... its mostly Schumacher Minispikes being order of the day on this side of the pond, running on grass or Astroturf.... would love to run a proper clay/dirt track one day! :D

Its good to hear that the TM2 looks to be showing promise on a track surface that it wasn't expected to work well on 8)

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Dan yeah I saw your message. I can't believe how long that thing is. 292mm is the extreme ROAR limit. That's 11-1/2". I've never seen a car that long that didn't have a full party of people in the back!

I am building my own 2wd car that will be very similar to this one. I am using a B44 rear half and a B4 front half. I have a couple of options on mine since the 2 front to rear drive shafts are different lengths and I can choose to build around either of them. I am going to mount the shorty lipo and motor as far rearwards as possible like the greyseal B44 from Team Azarashi which is farther rearwards than the TM2. Combining this with a long wheelbase and the B44 weight kit between the motor and battery under the driveshaft and I should be able to get about 68% weight on the rear wheels. With no antisquat I don't forsee any issues with running the car in lower traction situations.

When I started playing with mid motor cars a couple of years ago I found that traction, both forwards and side bite, is based on how much weight is on the drive wheels and not where the motor is located. Mid motor cars have far less weight on the rear wheels than rear motor cars and as a result they suffer on lower traction tracks. The 4 gear setups cause weight to shift rearwards during acceleration but this creates far too many other problems in my opinion. Weight shifts off of the wheels that steer and off of the rear during hard deceleration which causes braking to be less effective. It still doesn't fix the issue of side bite going into corners on looser tracks since that is solely weight dependent. Basically as far as I'm concerned everyone who is building mid motor cars with a 4 gear setup is doing it wrong. The real key is to remove artificial weight transfer from the drivetrain and motor and let weight and tuning take over. This is where this layout comes in and why I think it'll be the future when everyone finally figures out they are doing it wrong.

I am building my own chassis so I am going to try out several different wheelbase lengths and different weight balances. I'm pretty sure there won't be a surface that this setup will ultimately not work well on and it will drive far more neutral than any other orientation.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

I'm not too far from Hinkley. May have to christen my rere there on its irst outing! 8)
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

fredswain wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:23 pm Dan yeah I saw your message. I can't believe how long that thing is. 292mm is the extreme ROAR limit. That's 11-1/2". I've never seen a car that long that didn't have a full party of people in the back!

I am building my own 2wd car that will be very similar to this one. I am using a B44 rear half and a B4 front half. I have a couple of options on mine since the 2 front to rear drive shafts are different lengths and I can choose to build around either of them. I am going to mount the shorty lipo and motor as far rearwards as possible like the greyseal B44 from Team Azarashi which is farther rearwards than the TM2. Combining this with a long wheelbase and the B44 weight kit between the motor and battery under the driveshaft and I should be able to get about 68% weight on the rear wheels. With no antisquat I don't forsee any issues with running the car in lower traction situations.

When I started playing with mid motor cars a couple of years ago I found that traction, both forwards and side bite, is based on how much weight is on the drive wheels and not where the motor is located. Mid motor cars have far less weight on the rear wheels than rear motor cars and as a result they suffer on lower traction tracks. The 4 gear setups cause weight to shift rearwards during acceleration but this creates far too many other problems in my opinion. Weight shifts off of the wheels that steer and off of the rear during hard deceleration which causes braking to be less effective. It still doesn't fix the issue of side bite going into corners on looser tracks since that is solely weight dependent. Basically as far as I'm concerned everyone who is building mid motor cars with a 4 gear setup is doing it wrong. The real key is to remove artificial weight transfer from the drivetrain and motor and let weight and tuning take over. This is where this layout comes in and why I think it'll be the future when everyone finally figures out they are doing it wrong.

I am building my own chassis so I am going to try out several different wheelbase lengths and different weight balances. I'm pretty sure there won't be a surface that this setup will ultimately not work well on and it will drive far more neutral than any other orientation.
Hi Fred,

I know this is a very old thread. A friend of mine recently got a TM2 in a trade, and now he's hooked on RC cars. Anyway, did you ever finish that B44 / B4 Hybrid car? Does it have its' own thread?

Thanks, Tony
*** POWDER - KING ***