A Tale of 1 3/4 Optimas

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

markbt73
Approved Member

Re: A Tale of 1 3/4 Optimas

Post by markbt73 »

I was afraid of that. I hate irreplaceable parts... still, all I need is a 5mm shaft that's cross-drilled at one end, cut to length, with a flat filed. I wonder if I still have an old TL01 driveshaft lying around? Could make two from that...

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

HA! Tell me a replacement part doesn't exist, will you? Fine. I'll just make one. Found a 5mm shaft from some Tamiya gearbox or other that was about the right length, cross-drilled it right at the end (yes, it was a pain, and no, I didn't quite get it exactly centered, but close enough), and press in a roll pin.

The roll pin is black, so it's hard to see, but it's in there. The Sharpie marks on the shaft were so I knew where the flat should go.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Looks good! 8)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Did you remove the gear on the old shaft, to see if it had the hole for the crosspin?
Gone fishing

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

DennisM wrote:Did you remove the gear on the old shaft, to see if it had the hole for the crosspin?
Not yet. I only have two, so I didn't want to destroy it until I had a replacement figured out. I will check that eventually, however.

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

I'm not sure if you're aware or not but there were 3 different versions of these counter gears.

The originals had the gear moulded or pressed onto the splined shaft which would eventually start to strip out and spin on the shaft, then there was the screw on type that the Turbo Optima's and I think also the Salute's had (both my Salute's have this version) which according to my Turbo Optima and Salute manuals consisted of 3 washers, a spring and a 3mm nylock nut. And the 3rd type was the one with the pin and slot.

I'm not sure if the pin/slot type versions actually came in any of the Optima kits though (possible the Optima Pro?). I do know that the Ultima Pro had the pin/slot type.

Having written all that, I just noticed that you gear is infact the slotted type. :oops: Your pic is very dark and hard to see.

Keith :wink:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

keithrc wrote:I'm not sure if you're aware or not but there were 3 different versions of these counter gears.

The originals had the gear moulded or pressed onto the splined shaft which would eventually start to strip out and spin on the shaft, then there was the screw on type that the Turbo Optima's and I think also the Salute's had (both my Salute's have this version) which according to my Turbo Optima and Salute manuals consisted of 3 washers, a spring and a 3mm nylock nut. And the 3rd type was the one with the pin and slot.

I'm not sure if the pin/slot type versions actually came in any of the Optima kits though (possible the Optima Pro?). I do know that the Ultima Pro had the pin/slot type.

Having written all that, I just noticed that you gear is infact the slotted type. :oops: Your pic is very dark and hard to see.

There's a fourth type of counter gear; well technically a third only, because the cross-pin gear wasn't really intended for the Optima series, it was for the Optima Mid/Ultima series, I believe.

The stock Optima gear was a solid, molded piece. The Turbo Optima/Salute could have either the gear you mentioned with the thin spring washers, or it could have the OT-74 Limiter Gear assembly, which had a beefy, thick spring. You can read all about it in this topic I started; the kind I use is the OT-74 thick spring variety, I've acquired a number of those over the years. They're getting pretty hard to find, at least separately.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=17162

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

And then there were two...

The one on the left is built from the incomplete chassis, and some scrounged parts and hardware. It all works, and it will be a decent runner, I think, in a sort of a rat-rod way. I'm thinking of calling it "the Jaloptima."

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Coelacanth wrote:
keithrc wrote:I'm not sure if you're aware or not but there were 3 different versions of these counter gears.

There's a fourth type of counter gear; well technically a third only, because the cross-pin gear wasn't really intended for the Optima series, it was for the Optima Mid/Ultima series, I believe.

The stock Optima gear was a solid, molded piece. The Turbo Optima/Salute could have either the gear you mentioned with the thin spring washers, or it could have the OT-74 Limiter Gear assembly, which had a beefy, thick spring. You can read all about it in this topic I started; the kind I use is the OT-74 thick spring variety, I've acquired a number of those over the years. They're getting pretty hard to find, at least separately.

Really? :D
Gone fishing

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

Nice work mate, I'm assuming you'll be getting an Optima body for the more complete one, which body are you going with for the gold shock equipped car?
(cough, go Turbo, cough) :lol:

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

DennisM wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:

Really? :D
I missed that bit about the Mid, didn't know Mid's had gear those gear limiters. :P

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

keithrc wrote:Nice work mate, I'm assuming you'll be getting an Optima body for the more complete one, which body are you going with for the gold shock equipped car?
(cough, go Turbo, cough) :lol:

Yes, I have a repro standard Optima body for #1, and a paint scheme in mind (not box art). For #2, I'm not sure. Possibly a full-fendered rally car of some sort, if I can find one. For now, it will just use the black and gold Optima body, possibly repainted on the outside.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Should I add the red and white box art turbo body I showed you last week to the pile of goodies? It was brush painted but looks great with gold shocks. I already have the replacement for my car so this is a spare
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

gomachv wrote:Should I add the red and white box art turbo body I showed you last week to the pile of goodies? It was brush painted but looks great with gold shocks. I already have the replacement for my car so this is a spare
I'm actually not too fond of the Turbo style body. I prefer the skinnier standard style. so I think I'll pass on that. Thanks, though.

I had a crazy thought about trying to build a Javelin-style cage out of styrene, for shelf display, but I'm not sure I'm that ambitious...

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

That would be cool, and a lot cheaper than a real javelin cage!
Factory Works website