A Tale of 1 3/4 Optimas

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

markbt73
Approved Member

Re: A Tale of 1 3/4 Optimas

Post by markbt73 »

Quick update on this project: Had one car out running today. It was doing great, until the steering started cutting out, then died altogether. Turns out my super-clever steering servo relocation was pressing the servo wires up against one rear side plate right where the wires exit the servo case, and rubbed a hole in the wire insulation, so the servo shorted out. I hate to trim the side plate for clearance, so I'm going to try to re-route the wires out the side of the servo case... it's just a standard S3003, so it doesn't matter too much if I screw up.

Pics later...

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

Is it later yet? Keen to see more piccies. :P

Keith :wink:

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Soon. I sliced open my finger with an X-Acto knife while modifying the servo case, which put a quick stop to the day's tinkering. But I am now in possession of all the parts to complete both cars (thanks again Marc!), so more visual documentation will follow...

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

OK, to keep the photo hounds happy, here it is after yesterday's test run. Side yard was a bit wetter than I thought...

Still auditioning wheels and tires. These are Axial 1.9 inch beadlocks with Tamiya Thunder Shot tires. I think these will stay, at least for now.

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

Nice :D Which motor did this one have again? You could always change over to the Optima Pro top plate kit which has the sevro mounted in the same position as yours, that should solve your problem.

Keith :wink:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I like your choice of wheels, Mark. I used a similar set that was originally for CYANide, before that car ended up being built specifically for on-road (my initial plan was to have an Optima that could do dual-duty as on-road or offroad, but that didn't pan out...and was rather a silly idea in the first place). :oops: The ones I chose had similar chrome plastic centers reminiscent of the original Turbo Optima wheel design--and nice blue alloy lock rings. They were 2.2" narrow crawler wheels, almost a perfect fit for modern 2.2" buggy rear tires.

I'm using a similar-sized wheel set, but a different design, for Barney. They're great if you absolutely hate cementing your tires onto your wheels. I actually like your wheels better as the size is more proportional to the car, and 6 screws for the lock rings is MUCH easier. Let's just say I got a blister assembling these. :x

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Coelacanth wrote:I like your choice of wheels, Mark. I used a similar set that was originally for CYANide, before that car ended up being built specifically for on-road (my initial plan was to have an Optima that could do dual-duty as on-road or offroad, but that didn't pan out...and was rather a silly idea in the first place). :oops: The ones I chose had similar chrome plastic centers reminiscent of the original Turbo Optima wheel design--and nice blue alloy lock rings. They were 2.2" narrow crawler wheels, almost a perfect fit for modern 2.2" buggy rear tires.

I'm using a similar-sized wheel set, but a different design, for Barney. They're great if you absolutely hate cementing your tires onto your wheels. I actually like your wheels better as the size is more proportional to the car, and 6 screws for the lock rings is MUCH easier. Let's just say I got a blister assembling these. :x

That's where I got the idea. ;)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I wonder if Turbo Optima-sized 2.0" tires would fit on the wheels you used? Did you happen to test-install one?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Nope, they don't fit into the grooves. These are strictly for 1.9s, which is why I chose the Thunder Shot tires. The outer diameter is almost exactly the same as standard Optima/Javelin tires. They're actually a little wide for these wheels, but they compress nicely into place once you start tightening the screws. The outer row of spikes splay outward a bit when they're installed.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Still earning its keep... considering a rally car body and an undertray. Might make it easier to clean...

Will get some photos of the shelfer soon, I promise. As soon as the body is painted.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

That´s one of the best "shelf" pictures I´ve ever seen 8)
Gone fishing