One more XX

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kjrell
Approved Member

One more XX

Post by kjrell »

Hello guys, after years reading this great forum, I finally registered as I have found a XX-CR.

First of all, I just wanna say that this forum is a gold mine, and wanna thank you for sharing all these informations and knowledge about the cars we love!

I was dreaming to get a XX when child, and now it's done!

About the buggy now:
Parts tolerances are very good, play is minimal, and tranny is smooth, only left rear hub is damaged after a first rapid check.
He got a S stamped chassis which must stand for short, and the spare one is stamped STD, but one screw hole is damaged so it is unusable
Got it with some spare parts as you can see, and also got RPM front arms and Lunsford turnbuckles on ebay.
I will dismount it completely to clean and check everything.

It will be a racer, I plan to run it with a 10.5 turns, and perhaps replace shocks with XXX-CR shocks I was running on my B4.
I noticed front shocks have the same lenght, but rear shocks are shorter, so I dont know.
About the hydra drive, I've read somewhere here that standard fluid is roughy like 1000wt or cst diff oil, can you confirm please?

This is my first vintage project, and certainly not the last, a RC10 will obviously follow!
P1000181.JPG
P1000182.JPG
P1000183.JPG
P1000184.JPG
P1000185.JPG
P1000186.JPG
P1000187.JPG
P1010329.JPG

iamogre

Re: One more XX

Post by iamogre »

Nice looking xx!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Hi & welcome! Nice looking DoubleX you have there - it will clean up great & with a fresh bodyshell will look new again!

Have fun with running/racing it & make sure you keep us updated with how you get on (with pics of course!) 8)

kjrell
Approved Member

Post by kjrell »

Thank you guys!

Of course i'll post the cleaning/restoration progress :)

I see a lot of XX and Xcelerator bodyshell, but no CR.
Is it hard to find a CR bodyshell?

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

kjrell wrote:Thank you guys!

Of course i'll post the cleaning/restoration progress :)

I see a lot of XX and Xcelerator bodyshell, but no CR.
Is it hard to find a CR bodyshell?
Yes, the 'CR' shell wasn't very popular as a replacement shell - most people chose the smoother Xcellerator.

I believe the original XX shell has only just been discontinued to be manufactured/sold through Horizon - hence why there are alot of those still out there. The Xcellerator has been re-produced by TBG & available on ebay, a couple of short runs were also done from the original mould by an RC10Talk member, but I think these were all sold!

Strangely you would have thought that there would have been a 'glut' of un-used/un-painted CR shells that weren't sold in the model shops when they were new?

kjrell
Approved Member

Post by kjrell »

Why not! I'm a bit naive sometimes... :)

I'll get a TBG Xcellerator so, thanks for the short story!

Justin33

Post by Justin33 »

Xcellerator is awesome love mine

Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Nice car!

kjrell
Approved Member

Post by kjrell »

I had a chance to get a very nice standard chassis for cheap. Holes are threaded, but he never gone to a track!

It is not graphite but as our track is very rough a little bit of flex will not be bad to begin.

Last pic is RPM front arms with 25° casterblock/spindle and Lunsford turnbuckles i got previously.

Now waiting for some Imperial tools to strip it down, since the 22 is all metric, i dont have any more :D
Attachments
P1000664.jpg
P1000665.jpg
P1000607.jpg

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

kjrell wrote:Thanks :D

I had a chance to get a very nice standard chassis for cheap. Holes are threaded, but he never gone to a track!

It is not graphite but as our track is very rough a little bit of flex will not be bad to begin.

Last pic is RPM front arms with 25° casterblock/spindle and Lunsford turnbuckles i got previously.

Now waiting for some Imperial tools to strip it down, since the 22 is all metric, i dont have any more :D
Hi!

It's aways good to see more XX's.....

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the 'holes are threaded'....? Do you mean that the holes have been pre-tapped? Do you know if this chassis was previously from a built up XX kit?

Don't worry about the fact that it's not a graphite chassis - Losi didn't call it 'Stiffezel' for nothing...! :wink:
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

kjrell
Approved Member

Post by kjrell »

Hi!

You got it, it comes from a build up car, but surprisingly has never been run!

Thanks for letting me know :D

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Great car, and Welcome.

The xxx-cr rear shocks should be a direct bolt on, maybe someone put limiters inside.

The hydradrives are cool, but you may tire of the mess, rebuilds, etc. Especally if its going to be a clubcar brushless runner. you may find yourself going to the dual slipper set-up in time. there are great write-ups on this subject here and on vintagelosi.com.

Keep the progress reports coming.

Cheers
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

kjrell
Approved Member

Post by kjrell »

There is no limiters in the XXX-CR shocks, but i think i found the reason, in the XX-CR manual they put 2 limiters, one into the cartridge, and one outside.
The previous owner of the car didnt put the limiters, so you're right it should be direct bolt on!

I know inherent problems of the hydradrive but i want to give it a try, and if possible using it!
I've read that if setup correctly it should not overheat and so no leaking, so we'll see!

I've read the topics about slipper conversion yes, and i'm thinking to a second tranny with dual slipper as alternative.
I know that the guy i bought the chassis got a spare 2.19 tranny case, but i'm hunting for rear hubs actually.

I'll report any progress :D

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

kjrell wrote:Thanks :D

I know inherent problems of the hydradrive but i want to give it a try, and if possible using it!
I've read that if setup correctly it should not overheat and so no leaking, so we'll see!

I'll report any progress :D
As far as the Hydra-Drive goes - and I have built one up recently - I can recommend taking the two halves of the housing and then rubbing the half without the locating tabs on some fine emery paper taped down to a flat surface. Just rub gently, and don't push too hard, in a figure-of-eight pattern until you have smoothed out the surface that mates with the other half.

The half that has the locating tabs is trickyer to do as you can't rub it on a flat surface, just go easy and try and remove any high-spots with small, folded sections of emery paper. This process seems to have worked for me as my original Hydra-Drive hasn't leaked since I built it back in 1993 :!:

Hope this helps.
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

kjrell
Approved Member

Post by kjrell »

Thank you for your advice, this is really helpful, i will do it!

And what about using some green slime?