Kyosho swing shafts -- questions three

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Typpo
Approved Member

Kyosho swing shafts -- questions three

Post by Typpo »

Hello,

I am trying to put together an off the shelf swing shaft (aka driveshaft) replacement for an older Schumacher CAT '98 and have found that Kyosho part LA231 has the appropriate pin-to-pin dogbone length (68mm) but the axle is too short for the rear hub carrier I am trying to fit. Upon searching through the forum, it seems that the different Kyosho swing shafts (e.g. LA231, LA245, UM510, and UM522) are all interchangeable but I am not certain. Therefore, I would appreciate it if anyone can answer any of the following questions.

1. If you are using a hex (e.g. LAW30) and a driveshaft (or axle) other than LA231 (e.g. LA245, UM510-02, or UM522-02), could you please post the corresponding dimensions for L_rhc and L_hex in the picture below?

2. Are the pins of the swing shafts at the diff outdrive side removable?

3. Are all of the above swing shafts and axles interchangeable (e.g. LA231 can be used with LA522-02)?
Attachments
rear_hub_carrier.jpg
rear_hub_carrier.jpg (76.07 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
rear_hub_carrier.jpg
rear_hub_carrier.jpg (76.07 KiB) Viewed 2006 times

DennisM
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho swing shafts -- questions three

Post by DennisM »

These LA xxx numbers are to high for me (new)
But please post some pictures of the work on the Cat so far.
I would go the Losi or Traxxas slider way, unless it´s cat 2k, 3k or 98?
Gone fishing

Typpo
Approved Member

Post by Typpo »

DennisM wrote:These LA xxx numbers are to high for me (new)
But please post some pictures of the work on the Cat so far.
I would go the Losi or Traxxas slider way, unless it´s cat 2k, 3k or 98?
Hello DennisM,

Thank you for your help. The car is a CAT '98 (edited the description above) and I have posted regarding the original driveshaft (U1915) at the following links. Also, I am aware the stock alloy diff outs (U2006 and U2007) cannot be used with non bladed driveshafts.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=28516
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=28751

Please let me know if you have any other recommendations.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Well, I the kyosho axle portion has several different lengths. These are denoted by the # of rings on the axle portion itself. Each one progressively longer. They are all interchangeable with the various length swing shaft portion. I can post dimensions at a later date. Thanks -Jeff

Typpo
Approved Member

Post by Typpo »

Jay Dub wrote:Well, I the kyosho axle portion has several different lengths. These are denoted by the # of rings on the axle portion itself. Each one progressively longer. They are all interchangeable with the various length swing shaft portion. I can post dimensions at a later date. Thanks -Jeff
Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your help. Browsing of the different forum posts suggests 1 to 2mm per ring where UM522-02 is shorter than UM510-02 but actual measurements as listed above would be appreciated.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

It's indeed 1 mm per ring. I have a bunch of Kyosho CVDs and all of them have either 2 or 3 rings. I haven't seen less or more...at least yet.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Typpo
Approved Member

Post by Typpo »

Coelacanth wrote:It's indeed 1 mm per ring. I have a bunch of Kyosho CVDs and all of them have either 2 or 3 rings. I haven't seen less or more...at least yet.
Hello Coelacanth,

Thank you for verifying the length difference per ring. Attached is a picture of LA-231 next to the driveshaft I am looking to replace (U1915). For LA-231 the spacing between the bearing face to the beginning of the pin hole is approximately 10mm. Can you verify the corresponding spacing for either the two or three ring version?

Also the dimensions corresponding to L_rhc and L_hex in the picture included in my first posting, would be appreciated if anyone can provide them.
Attachments
U1916_U1915_LA231_driveshafts_axles.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Okay, here's what I can add:

The axle with 2 grooves is approx. 12.3 mm from bearing face to CENTER of the crosspin hole. I don't have a 3-groove axle available for measurement, I think it's installed on Barney...but I would assume it's 13.3mm from bearing face to center of crosspin hole, as it's 1 mm longer than the 2-groover.

I have a bunch of cheap but nice 3Racing CVDs for the Lazer, the axle end is functionally identical to the far more expensive Kyosho ones, and the dogbone end comes in various lengths: 65.5, 68 and 73mm. The axle measurement from bearing face to center of the crosspin hole on all of those is the same, about 10.75 mm. These 3Racing ones I'm talking about look exactly like the bottom CVD in your picture.

All Optima CVDs should have 62.5mm dogbone ends as the Optima dogbones were 62.5mm long.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Typpo
Approved Member

Post by Typpo »

Coelacanth wrote:Okay, here's what I can add:

The axle with 2 grooves is approx. 12.3 mm from bearing face to CENTER of the crosspin hole. I don't have a 3-groove axle available for measurement, I think it's installed on Barney...but I would assume it's 13.3mm from bearing face to center of crosspin hole, as it's 1 mm longer than the 2-groover.

I have a bunch of cheap but nice 3Racing CVDs for the Lazer, the axle end is functionally identical to the far more expensive Kyosho ones, and the dogbone end comes in various lengths: 65.5, 68 and 73mm. The axle measurement from bearing face to center of the crosspin hole on all of those is the same, about 10.75 mm. These 3Racing ones I'm talking about look exactly like the bottom CVD in your picture.

All Optima CVDs should have 62.5mm dogbone ends as the Optima dogbones were 62.5mm long.
Hello Coelacanth,

Thank you for the measurement. It was helpful and allowed me to further narrow the options. Also appreciate the 3Racing recommendation.