Start your engines...

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: Start your engines...

Post by kaiser »

vw all the way!

dahlback racing's 1200hp awd golf

[youtube]tsIIvQiNAms[/youtube]

dahlback's 990hp polo

[youtube]IyuhR0QC6BM[/youtube]

800+hp aircooled

[youtube]sTZZbhPXI0M[/youtube]

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

If you've attended a NHRA event with Top fuel and Funny car nitro, you can appreciate this. In between rounds, the engine is completely tore down and rebuilt, then test fired. The throttle blips are what draws the crowd. It's the closest thing you can get to living through an explosion right in front of you. Sometimes when the trailers are pitted one right after the other, the car is pretty tight in between them. The exhaust pressure wil actually sway the trailers on both sides.

[youtube]ENURbIx9zRc[/youtube]
[youtube]cVhIQzmHYz8[/youtube]

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Oh, how I miss my '90LX... :| Pretty intense for a street driven fox body.

[youtube]hKDnY2dn8hM[/youtube]

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

[youtube]-BjtvJe_PjY[/youtube]

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

oh my, thats crazy

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Got a soft spot for badass prerunners. I read about this truck several years back.

[youtube]oPOz8lnLkpM[/youtube]

[youtube]7WdhXlLCFgY[/youtube]

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I love me some Turbo Buick action...different kind of sound from anything out there. 8)

[youtube]USnQRaF6PnU[/youtube]
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Coelacanth wrote:I love me some Turbo Buick action...different kind of sound from anything out there. 8)

[youtube]USnQRaF6PnU[/youtube]
i love these cars... i remember a story about a actor crashing one years ago. howard stern was making a joke about it basically saying he was stupid for crashing a buick cause buick never made a fast car. i laughed at stern thinkin no your the stupid one for thinking buick never made a fast car. as soon as i heard the story of a actor crashing a buick race car i knew what he was driving.. little side note: pontiac wanted to put this motor setup in the fiero. the car was so much faster then the corvette chevy was making at the time chevy said no way.. .............. [youtube]QhtVrP8bPWA[/youtube]

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

One more for boat fans....

[youtube]_cCTmwZX5fE[/youtube]
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

longboardnj wrote:little side note: pontiac wanted to put this motor setup in the fiero. the car was so much faster then the corvette chevy was making at the time chevy said no way.
That's exactly why they shitcanned the Grand National after '86 & '87...it just didn't sit right with GM that a Buick family car upstaged their flagship performance car (Corvette). :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i'm sure the g-bodies going to front wheel drive in '88 had a little bit to do with it. :wink:

(except the MC that hung around until '89)

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

scr8p wrote:i'm sure the g-bodies going to front wheel drive in '88 had a little bit to do with it. :wink:

(except the MC that hung around until '89)
love the mc ss.. always wanted a mc ss over the buick.. buick is alot faster but im a big fan of na v8 rwd cars. ill take a mild v8 over a h.o v6 turbo every time

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I never could get into the Monte Carlos, at least after 1972 or something. Performance, even with the V8's, was totally underwhelming. Certainly you could put some work into one, or swap the anemic little-8's with a 350, but the stock Monte Carlos never had the balls to go with the bad-ass look. Their HO V8 only put out 180 horsepower. :roll: Sheesh, even my 2008 Torrent has 264 horsepower...

I'm of course focusing on stock performance numbers, as we're comparing stock to stock numbers. Heck, I raced one of those early 2000 fugly SS Z34 things, with the weird-ass rear aero window and spoiler, in my Dakota Sport, he was ahead of me and tromped on the gas as we were heading out to the highway. I floored it from behind and caught up and passed him...in a 318 RWD pick-me-up truck. :|

A lot of GM products could strike fear into my heart but I'm afraid the stock 'Carlo wasn't one of them.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Coelacanth wrote:I never could get into the Monte Carlos, at least after 1972 or something. Performance, even with the V8's, was totally underwhelming. Certainly you could put some work into one, or swap the anemic little-8's with a 350, but the stock Monte Carlos never had the balls to go with the bad-ass look. Their HO V8 only put out 180 horsepower. :roll: Sheesh, even my 2008 Torrent has 264 horsepower...

I'm of course focusing on stock performance numbers, as we're comparing stock to stock numbers. Heck, I raced one of those early 2000 fugly SS Z34 things, with the weird-ass rear aero window and spoiler, in my Dakota Sport, he was ahead of me and tromped on the gas as we were heading out to the highway. I floored it from behind and caught up and passed him...in a 318 RWD pick-me-up truck. :|

A lot of GM products could strike fear into my heart but I'm afraid the stock 'Carlo wasn't one of them.

i dont really care too much about hp #s. im all about how something is made. if i had to choose a new 1:1 car its hard for me. i hate fwd or fwd that drive the rear whees too so its awd (sorry i just feel awd should be like my 2006 dodge durango).. it just seems cheezy .. and what happened to broncos blazers and ramchargers .. real suvs.. now its lets make a larger station wagon and call it a truck.. even new pickup trucks suck did you see the new ram 1500 ? ton of crap, too much car stuff its bad enough if you want alot of power you need to have 16 plugs.. sorry had to vent cause i hate 95% of new cars and it just seems to get worse every year..

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

I got some Luv for the G bodies. Dug up some old video when I was about 21 where some friends and I used to put on junk tires and make burnout videos. :lol: I had an '83 Grand Prix with a pretty stock 350. Got a little more serious motor later on, then life happened. That was probably the heaviest of all the G body GM cars. Believe it was 38-3900#. 90's camera action too... :oops:

[youtube]R5mXv6pPnoE[/youtube]