Calling Canadians, questions on Montreal GP F1 race

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flipwils11
Approved Member

Calling Canadians, questions on Montreal GP F1 race

Post by flipwils11 »

Hey, not sure where to go with this, but figured some of you might be able to help. I'm seriously considering going to the F1 race in June 2013 at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve mainly because of proximity to the US and also because I've heard great things about the city and beauty of the facilities. I'm a former F1 fan, having attended five races at Indianapolis until the Tire-gate incident in 2005 when I was so furious I stopped watching it for several years. Now that my son is really into it, and he wants to attend a race in person, I thought this might be a good destination. He'll be 7 years old in February.

My wife has said she would also like to come, partly because she enjoys F1 in small doses, but also since she thinks she can find plenty to do in Montreal and she speaks some French. I could use some travel planning help especially if any of you F1 fans have ever been to the Montreal GP and can weigh in.

Pm me if you have insight/perspective or feel free to reply to this thread, thanks!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Calling Canadians, questions on Montreal GP F1 race

Post by Coelacanth »

While I've never been to the F1, I lived in Montreal for 4 years on the west island and there's lots to experience in Montreal. It's a very cultural & arts-infused city which is rather unusual for a city that large; most big cities end up becoming cultureless metropolises (metropoli?).

If you like blues or jazz, practically any bar offering live band entertainment will have a level of music quality and professionalism that exceeds what you'll find in many other cities. Montreal loves it's music scene.

If you have a free Sunday in the summer, and the weather is nice, go to the "tam-tams", on Mont Royal. A bunch of hippies will bring their bongos and other drums and sit around a large statue playing different rhythms; but that's not why you're there. You're there because it's like one massive picnic, everybody's in that park, throwing footballs & frisbees, bringing their dogs on leashes, people-watching, and you can do a nice little hike up to Lac Castor (Beaver lake).

If you like ethnic food, Montreal has to be one of the best cities for it. I recommend Boustan's for Lebanese (their shish-taouk plate is awesome after a night out drinking), Marathon restaurant for Greek food (try the filet mignon or roasted chicken brochettes), Le Nil Blue (Blue Nile) for Ethiopian/African, and you can't pass through Montreal without trying a Montreal smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz's or Reuben's Deli.

Enjoy your visit, Montreal is a very unique city!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Re: Calling Canadians, questions on Montreal GP F1 race

Post by Dirtdiver »

You can't go wrong in Montreal. It's a very fun city with a lot to do and see. Good times.