Aluminum wheels who all makes em'??

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bolinkfan

Aluminum wheels who all makes em'??

Post by bolinkfan »

Hey all,I have been prowling many sites over the years and have seen no "guide" to all of the differences and/or the styles of the multiple manufacturers of aftermarket aluminum wheels. Especially all of the ones specifically for rc10's. In my opinion wheels make the car! Aluminum wheels are above all my favorite and have been a large part of my focus for my R/c collecting. I constantly see rims for sale advertised as "sees" or even "associated" without any paperwork/markings/anything,and also regularly see a new style or size of wheel (with paperwork/packaging) that I didn't know existed,but have really never found a list,catalog/or section highlighting the differences between manufacturers or even a section of a bunch of different styles(beyond an individuals personal collection)and typically they are all of the same origin/manufacture.I for one have 3 sets of wheels I have no idea who makes? I would also like to have a positive i.d. of the mfgr. on 3 more that I think I know who makes but am not 100% sure.I also have found a "difference" in what I thought was a matching rim leading me to believe to multiple mfgs. made nearly identical wheels? I checked all 56 pages to make sure there wasn't one started already!
I know of:

Tecnacraft
Sees
Team Losi
JPS
Mini Mags
Advanced Engineering
T&A
Duratrax
Not sure if HG made any buggy wheels

And I have seen a few aluminum wheels advertised as aftermarket associated items??
then I have seen a few slightly different "kidney bean" original rc10 styled wheels in large and small dia??
Anyway I know ive seen at least 25 styles and would love to see what you guys have that I hav'nt before seen,the whole reason I got my rc10's was because I had
so many wheels and nothing good to put them on!
Here is a few of mine (sorry for the crappy pics)
I believe these are sees wheels:

these i think are JPS
these I think are Team Losi
I have no idea who makes these?? I have 2 pairs of rears only,, but they go with any fronts I guess?
I think T&A?
I also think both of these might be sees but have never seen this style from them??
and last is a side by side of a lone wheel and one of the pair on the car difference is in the size /shape of holes,one has flat bases in hole other is round??
No,no,baby I didnt just go to the hobby shop.......oh...you already checked the bank...uuhh

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Re: Aluminum wheels who all makes em'??

Post by LTO_Dave »

TMS and Pralon Performance Products are two other companies that made aluminum wheels.

bolinkfan

Post by bolinkfan »

LTO_Dave wrote:TMS and Prolane Performance Products are two other companies that made aluminum wheels.
Never even heard of those two? Do you have any pictures of any of them??
No,no,baby I didnt just go to the hobby shop.......oh...you already checked the bank...uuhh

tommy2c
Approved Member

Post by tommy2c »

I'm new at this and don't know much history yet but just confirming that one wheel you noted is indeed a T & A. Was in the lot of stuff I picked up today. She threw it in for free since there was only one. Three more to go!

bolinkfan

Post by bolinkfan »

[quote="tommy2c"]I'm new at this and don't know much history yet but just confirming that one wheel you noted is indeed a T & A. Was in the lot of stuff I picked up today. She threw it in for free since there was only one. Three more to go!

Thats funny between us we dont yet have a set :lol: I also found another single one that ended up being a truck front at my local hobby shop tucked in the clutter behind the counter,I think I "found" it for him ,,,he swears he has the other one,I will be checking back this week.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

More current rims available are rims from Pargu2000. There are also some vendors on ebay that are making aluminum Tamiya wheels for the Super Champ, Sand Scorcher and such.
Gary

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

arent the TMS wheels just repackaged Sees? I remember reading that somewhere.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

JK Racing wrote:arent the TMS wheels just repackaged Sees? I remember reading that somewhere.
Yep, you are correct JK. I asked or was corrected on that once before :D

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

bolinkfan wrote:
LTO_Dave wrote:TMS and Prolane Performance Products are two other companies that made aluminum wheels.
Never even heard of those two? Do you have any pictures of any of them??

Like others have said, I think the TMS wheels were See's with a different header card. Here's a scan of an old catalog I posted in the scans section. The buggy at the top of the second page has the directional aluminum wheels, but none are listed in the catalog:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=24945

The Prolane wheels were in an old RCCA Buyer's Guide I have. It's a small photo and doesn't list and specific applications. And there's another company in that same guide that made aluminum pan car wheels...I'll scan them both and post them here. :wink:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

A while ago someone posted a Blackfoot with diamond patterned tires on it which I liked but nobody could answer what they were. Thanks to that scan I now see that they were made by TMS!

bolinkfan

Post by bolinkfan »

Lowgear wrote:A while ago someone posted a Blackfoot with diamond patterned tires on it which I liked but nobody could answer what they were. Thanks to that scan I now see that they were made by TMS!
I agree awesome scan never seen the names of alot of that stuff !! I always wondered who made the 2 sets of fronts I have now I know they are "weeners" awesome!! It also looks like tms is making the old amark tires for the lunchbox 1.9 size rims,which is killer because ive had a pair for 3years and just now found the others for $8 thanks to you guys informing me TMS exists....thanks!

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

The name of the company was Pralon, not Prolane like I first mentioned:

The other company was Radio Control Auto Racing:

bolinkfan

Post by bolinkfan »

Did associated ever make an aftermarket aluminum wheel? I have a set on a pan car that were advertised as AE parts, I have seen the same ones advertised on the bay as AE twice now? I will take a pic if needed

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Those are Tecnacraft's your seeing in the AE catalogs- eBay and incorrectly listed stuff? Never!!

bolinkfan

Post by bolinkfan »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Those are Tecnacraft's your seeing in the AE catalogs- eBay and incorrectly listed stuff? Never!!

HA :lol: yeah right,, never... I saw them and thought maybe? Thanks for clearing that up.
So no "list" of the styles offered by sees? A set currently up says model# 1500 on a pair of fronts,I cant imagine sees offering more than say 20 styles?? Also searched for tms no luck? And the pargu site says the rc10 stlye wheels are out of stock... bummer...