My cougar club10 nostalgia

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PerKr
Approved Member

My cougar club10 nostalgia

Post by PerKr »

Thought I'd throw a couple pics of my nostalgia build in its current state. I used to have a cougar club10 back in the 90´s. Remember having a Hitec Challenger 260 and a yellow Tamiya 1700mAh stickpack (which was a bit hard to fit in the holders). Upgraded it with a Kyosho Mega 2WD Off Road motor and ESC (the MSC broke so I had to, but it took me quite a while to actually do it). It was painted white with a couple of blue and red fields, sort of an amateurish version of the car on the front of the box. Had the rearmost part of the body cut off after a while to make it easier to get to the battery. And then it was stolen and I had other things on my mind so I was out of the hobby.

Then a year or so ago I bought a magazine and read a review of the Tamiya TRF211 and thought it would be fun to get back in. Still low on cash, I started looking at used cars and then a club10 cougar turned up. It looked to be in a pretty sorry state, but I figured I could get it running.

So, now she's cleaned up and I got her a new body (NIP Cougar 2, though it was pretty cool how the store I got it from had kept it all these years), but I still haven't been able to get the rest of the gear I need. Oh well, I know I'll be able to score the electrics at a good price if I can just stay patient :-)
_MG_7911b.jpg
_MG_7912b.jpg
_MG_7913b.jpg

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Re: My cougar club10 nostalgia

Post by Mad Racer »

Way to go!!!!!!!

I have a club 10 & love it.

Has a slipper & a few other nods but goes really well with a 13t EZ Run brushless combo.

Post more pics once finished :) :)
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Great looking Coug! I love these old Schueys! Keep the pics coming.
Gary

PerKr
Approved Member

Post by PerKr »

this will be a really slow build guys. With wife, kids and house it's not easy to fund the fun stuff. I actually looked at buying the stuff I need new, but that turned out to be out of budget. And that's before I looked at tyres :D

Speaking of tyres. Any recommendations? I'm not sure, but I guess there's a chance the rear wheels are 2.15" rather than 2.2". Will 2.2" tyres still work? And what about the width of the tyre vs the width of the rim, I'm guessing there are standardized dimensions for 2/4WD rears, 2WD fronts and 4WD fronts?

Also, tips on mounting foam tyres are welcome (got the idea back in the 90´s after reading an article on indoor buggy racing describing how two drivers had modified their Lazer ZX-R and RC10 to run indoor during the winter).

PerKr
Approved Member

Post by PerKr »

Oh, and here's a little something that arrived today for my other cat project:
_MG_7918b.jpg

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Original Schumacher - That´s nice
Gone fishing

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Hey mate if you get stuck along the way there are a few of us here who have parts that could help you get this car over the line. No doubt your minimum post count will need to be adhered to before we can make legit trades, once you get there (won't take long) give us a shout with a want list.
Cheers-Jason
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Looking good :) Are you going to run it when you get it finished?

PerKr
Approved Member

Post by PerKr »

J.M: that's good to know. The cougar isn't missing any actual cougar parts, I just need to get the electronics (easy to find, hard to fund). Over time, I guess it's a good idea to stock up on spares and invest in a couple of options (like a brace for the U322. I could either make one myself or buy the real deal, not a lot of money either way).

CAT3K: oh, I'll definitely run it.

A list of things I need to get to get her running (items in red hopefully on their way to my mailbox):

1) 2.4GHz radio stuff
2) steering servo
3) ESC + possibly motor (I have a 12x2 but finding an ESC within my tight budget turned out to be harder than I thought)
4) Batteries
5) Charger
6) Tyres

PerKr
Approved Member

Post by PerKr »

Finally have an ESC
DSC_0131[1].jpg
So, now I have to figure out where to put it. I guess the ESC in my old car was about the same size, but I can't remember the layout I used... I suppose 2.4GHz receivers are smaller than the old AM and FM ones? Small enough to sit on the bulkhead even? That would give me some more space to play with.
Also have to add a Tamiya-style contact with slightly longer wires (yeah, ok, quite a bit longer). And add contacts to the motor wires, and put longer wires on the motor.

What worries me though is the capacitators. Or rather, the lack of capacitators. I really have no idea where to get them and I dare not run without them having read that the ESC could be damaged by doing so...

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

PerKr wrote:Also, tips on mounting foam tyres are welcome (got the idea back in the 90´s after reading an article on indoor buggy racing describing how two drivers had modified their Lazer ZX-R and RC10 to run indoor during the winter).
Matey,

Foam tyres were available already mounted to rims, direct from Schumacher... if you decide to go looking for some, I know a guy :lol:

Your Club 10 / Cougar / Cougar2 hybrid looks great.... have a soft spot for these, judging by the number of them I have in bits....

Don't forget to keep us informed of progress!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

PerKr
Approved Member

Post by PerKr »

was left alone with my car and a screwdriver...
DSC_0132[1].jpg
Only a simple adapter plate needed to make that work (or drilling two new holes, except I don't like the thought of doing so). The motor sits way too high though so wouldn't work for a serious build. But it's an option if I can't find a bosscat transmission :-)

*edit: forgot about the suspension. Maybe not that simple an adapter, but definitely something I might be able to make myself

PerKr
Approved Member

Post by PerKr »

ok, an update. My bank account has a bit more money on it than I thought, so might actually be able to get something done. Then again, for the money that a controller, servo, tires, battery and charger would cost me I could buy a thunder tiger phoenix BXII rtr. And still have a bit of money left over. That's really annoying. Seriously considering the Phoenix as that way I could get started quickly and if something breaks I can rather easily order spares.

But let's get back to the cougar. The ESC needed some work. The battery cables were about an inch long and the motor cables weren't long enough either. So I bought some cables and now need to figure out whether to solder them or use something like this (not sure what the proper term is, would it be "crimp connector"?):

I do prefer not opening the ESC to solder the battery cables (don't like soldering on circuit boards, a bit afraid I'll mess up and end up having to buy an ESC as well) and using these is tempting. What do you think? Might ask a friend (who is more skilled with the soldering iron) to replace the battery cable on the circuit board and use crimp connectors for the motor.

Also looking for ideas on layout. Longitudinal placement of the batteries seems to be preferred?

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

if your not comfortable soldering new wires to board. I would suggest soldering new wires to the stub and cover with shrink tube. too much resistance in crimp connectors.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

PerKr
Approved Member

Post by PerKr »

slapshot1979 wrote:if your not comfortable soldering new wires to board. I would suggest soldering new wires to the stub and cover with shrink tube. too much resistance in crimp connectors.
simply hold them close together, solder and add shrink tubes? Done that before in situations where I haven't been as concerned with the final result... Or is there a better way? like using the metal tube from the crimp connector so the cables are in line with eachother and solder it all up (and finish it up with shrink tubes)?

*edit:

What do you guys think of this Sanwa servo for the steering?
http://www.powertoys.se/produkter/tillbehor-rc-anl/72/sanwa-digitalt-std-bb-servo-72-94835/