Modern cab forward bodies

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Modern cab forward bodies

Post by Lowgear »

You know what I'd like to see? Some actual proof. As-in some extensive wind tunnel testing to prove they do anything other than create a placebo effect.

RABIDFOX50
Approved Member

Post by RABIDFOX50 »

I'm old school when it comes to lids, however my RC8T has a cab forward lid. Looks OK on a truggy. :D

On a 10T, not so much.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

The modern day cab forward shells look.......well......silly. Now this may offend some but I don't care about how well my cars perform but rather how awesome they look doin it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I can't get into the whole cab forward stuff now days, I actualy like all the old skool cab forward designs but these new forms just don't look right. What was so wrong with the shells that were around a few years ago but also adding those front wings for extra down force?

I am not a serious racer though and that's why it makes no sense to me. I like all the old designs no matter how weird and wonderful they all were. Probably cause they actualy looked like buggies I suppose :mrgreen:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

RickRick
Approved Member

Post by RickRick »

yer i would be great to get the chance to get a few different cars in a wind tunnel, seeing the pred would be interesting, and comparing cab forward to standard shells too.
Also i've added some mudguards/wings to the front and rear wishbones on the cat sx3
https://plus.google.com/photos/111203241133137070041/albums/5776121272394934577#photos/111203241133137070041/albums/5776121272394934577/5784236924138645042
there quite easy to see because there filthy! but rather than the regular straight up peice of lexan i've made them from inside out pop bottles fixed to the wishbones, and leaning against the top trackrod, with a quite steep upwards curve no idea if they do anything other than keep the driveshafts clean, but they don't look to bad either

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

J.M. wrote:The modern day cab forward shells look.......well......silly. Now this may offend some but I don't care about how well my cars perform but rather how awesome they look doin it :lol: :lol: :lol:
PMSL - I agree, my rule has always been - if it looks good, it will go good! (This rule can be used for girls too :twisted: )

The only cab-forward design I like is on the 8ight, even then its quite smooth and nowhere near as ugly as some...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Lowgear wrote:You know what I'd like to see? Some actual proof. As-in some extensive wind tunnel testing to prove they do anything other than create a placebo effect.
That's what I'm talking about, I mean a scientific study eliminating ALL variables except the body. Usually people are using these bodies on different cars, or newer models of cars, and you can't just overlook slight upgrades & improvements in suspension & performance and say it was the cab-forward body making the difference.

Take ONE car, with a standard body, run it through some tests. Then change ONLY the body, and do the *exact* same tests. Now, there's an objective experiment whose results I'd like to see, and if I'm mistaken, so be it. I'm man enough to admit when I'm proven wrong. I just think so many of these so-called "improvements" are mostly attributable to slight improvements in suspension, powertrain and chassis refinements than to just the body alone.

The one thing that sticks in my mind is, if this new "cab forward" design is such a revolutionary breakthrough, how come you don't see a similar design on full-size offroad race cars? You'd think THEIR designers would've discovered this "breakthrough" long before the RC community would.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I wonder how BoLink's wind tunnel worked exactly? That's the only R/C related one I've ever heard of. There were pictures of it back when they put it up for sale on eBay but I vaguely remember what it looked like. I think it was comprised of air ducts but that's all I remember. I wish I had saved the pictures.

TerryC
Approved Member

Post by TerryC »

I really like the traditional bodies over the new cab-forward designs.
The new cars look alien to me, like something from a comic book.
No offense to those that have them and like them, just my humble opinion.

But hey, I don't drive well enough for wind-tunnel performance to matter. :mrgreen:

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Coelacanth wrote:
The one thing that sticks in my mind is, if this new "cab forward" design is such a revolutionary breakthrough, how come you don't see a similar design on full-size offroad race cars? You'd think THEIR designers would've discovered this "breakthrough" long before the RC community would.
They DO! Your just looking into the wrong motorsports :mrgreen:

It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

SWAMP BUGGIES! love those things.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Cool! Now we just need to implement water-skis beneath our RC cars' control arms too! 8)
gomachv wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:
They DO! Your just looking into the wrong motorsports :mrgreen:

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

I just google mapped Naples Florida (the home of the swamp buggy) and it's only 180 miles south of JConcepts. I think you guys are onto something. :lol:
- Brian -

My Gallery

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Another crazy US sport the rest of the world knows nothing about. :lol:

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Since we have Short Course Buggies now, won't be long and the cabs will inch forward and viola....

- Brian -

My Gallery