New rc10gt guy

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

InSayne

New rc10gt guy

Post by InSayne »

hey guys! new guy here. i snagged a used aluminum pan rc10gt with an os cv-r .18 off ebay for 70 shipped. needs a body and battery to run the servos. otherwise its complete. or so i think. i have a few questions for you guys. firstly what can i do for a receiver battery? id prefer to run lipo as all my batteries for my pede are lipo. second question is what do i need to consider to go about getting larger wheels? and most importantly when i turn the rear wheels the tranny or clutch doesnt sound so good. theres a slight rattle and it sounds like the spur and motor gears are meshed to tightly. Any help would be greatly appreciated and im proud to be a nitro and rc10 owner!

85Edinger
Approved Member

Re: New rc10gt guy

Post by 85Edinger »

Welcome to the forum!
I know next to nothing about nitros, but I know that whenever I purchase a used car, I rebuild the transmission, bearings, and diff before I drive it.
Why do you want larger wheels? I'm fairly certain the rc10gt uses bearings in the wheels up front, which means you're limited to 2.2" and 2.8" wheels. That's the largest that can really be used on that size vehicle, anyway.
Also, remember larger wheel size= higher gear ratio.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

InSayne

Post by InSayne »

Looking for extra ground clearance and to keep from bottoming out while running offload and jumping which is the majority of what the rig will see. Where can I find bearings, Trans rebuild and diff rebuild kits?

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

All you need to rebuild the differential is differential grease, in this case for a ball differential. For the bearings, you need to find out if they are metal or rubber-sealed, or if they are just bushings. Just google 'how to clean rc bearings." If you have bushings, you should look into some bearings from avid rc.
For the transmission, just take it apart, clean the bearings while you're in there, clean and grease the gears, reassemble.
What electronics have you got?
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

InSayne

Post by InSayne »

Simple enough. I believe the electronics are just the factory servos. I'll have to get a closer look. I still need a reciver battery to see if they work. What grease do you recommend for the diff and tranny?

InSayne

Post by InSayne »

I should start a separate thread for the help topics?

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

I didn't know there was a help section! (I'm a noob, too.)
My limited nitro knowledge says that not all non-BEC nitro rx's are lipo-compatible. You should find out what model yours is and find its specs. Also, not all servos are 7.4v capable. If you want lithiums, maybe you should look at a life. A 2 cell life is 6.6v, compatible with all servos. (A 6v max servo can generally handle the extra .6)
For the diff, I beleive the rc10gt has a ball diff. If so, look up "ball diff grease." In the transmission, white lithium works well. A general rule is metal-to-metal contact gets grease, metal-to-plastic or plastic to plastic does not.
Just out of curiosity, what type of Pede do you have- electric 2wd, 4x4, or nitro? If this is your first nitro, make sure to do your research up front. I've never owned or driven a nitro, personally, but there's lots of info out there aimed at helping new nitro owners.

InSayne

Post by InSayne »

I have a 2wd pede Xl-5. I think the Titan 12t is about spent in it. It just doesn't seem anywhere as fast as the first time I strapped a lipo to it. I've been doing nitro research and as far as I can tell without tear down my cv-r is solid. I'll have to pull the tranny and diff over the weekend and rebuild them. What about spur to pinion mesh? Is there a easy way to set that? Or is it by feel or sound?

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

The pinion spur mesh is easy. Set it tight enough to where there is just barely any backlash between the gears. Just looser than the gears making constant contact.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

The Titan 550 has a bad reputation. My Rusty's fried after a month, but that's because the rocket surgeons at my LHS said I didn't need to lube it. :x Traxxas sent me a new one. I 've mostly maintained it properly, and a year later, it's in my rc10 and still works. Ask Traxxas for a new one, water-dip it, and spray and lube it after every few runs.

InSayne

Post by InSayne »

how long is the warranty?

InSayne

Post by InSayne »

looks like rc10 has AE s1903 servos. dunno if they are good units or not.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Hate to revive an old thread, but how are you doing with the RC10GT? Did you figure things out?