Novak 410-MXC possible problem

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

harry697
Approved Member

Novak 410-MXC possible problem

Post by harry697 »

I decided to try out a 410-MXC that I bought used a while back. When it first arrived, I bench tested it and everything seemed perfect. Finally installed it in my TRX-1 last week and took it to the track. The esc seems to work perfect, but it gets pretty hot after 10 or so minutes of running. The car is setup exactly the same as it was before switching esc's. Previously it had a Traxxas xl-5 and it really didn't even get warm at all after a full pack.

Maybe I'm just giving this Novak too much credit, but don't you think it would still be leaps and bounds above an xl-5? My battery is a 6000mah 30C 2S lipo and motor is a Checkpoint Money 19-turn. I wouldn't say it's dangerously hot and it hasn't thermalled or anything. And the motor temps are normal as they've always been. Never too hot to touch, even after running a full 6000mah through it. Just seems that the esc should run as cool or even cooler than the Traxxas. It has all the heat sinks installed also. I haven't had a chance to get an actual temp reading, but will try tomorrow.

Any ideas?

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Novak 410-MXC possible problem

Post by Lonestar »

harry697 wrote:I decided to try out a 410-MXC that I bought used a while back. When it first arrived, I bench tested it and everything seemed perfect. Finally installed it in my TRX-1 last week and took it to the track. The esc seems to work perfect, but it gets pretty hot after 10 or so minutes of running. The car is setup exactly the same as it was before switching esc's. Previously it had a Traxxas xl-5 and it really didn't even get warm at all after a full pack.

Maybe I'm just giving this Novak too much credit, but don't you think it would still be leaps and bounds above an xl-5? My battery is a 6000mah 30C 2S lipo and motor is a Checkpoint Money 19-turn. I wouldn't say it's dangerously hot and it hasn't thermalled or anything. And the motor temps are normal as they've always been. Never too hot to touch, even after running a full 6000mah through it. Just seems that the esc should run as cool or even cooler than the Traxxas. It has all the heat sinks installed also. I haven't had a chance to get an actual temp reading, but will try tomorrow.

Any ideas?
yes :) In no particular order:

- Cable size? Connectors?
- use a shottky diode esp. if you brake a lot
- check which shape the motor is in... and true it if needed
- check for anything binding in tranny, incl pinion/spur mesh
- turn current limiter all the way up (ie no limiting)

and, last, don't run 10mns in a row ... this isn't designed for it really. Then again if it's never too hot to touch, you shouldn't worry too much about it ;)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Novak 410-MXC possible problem

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Lonestar wrote:
harry697 wrote:I decided to try out a 410-MXC that I bought used a while back. When it first arrived, I bench tested it and everything seemed perfect. Finally installed it in my TRX-1 last week and took it to the track. The esc seems to work perfect, but it gets pretty hot after 10 or so minutes of running. The car is setup exactly the same as it was before switching esc's. Previously it had a Traxxas xl-5 and it really didn't even get warm at all after a full pack.

Any ideas?

and, last, don't run 10mns in a row ... this isn't designed for it really. Then again if it's never too hot to touch, you shouldn't worry too much about it ;)

Paul
The 10min thing was the first thing that came to mind- especially since LiPo has a much higher constant voltage than NiCads or NiMh- a 2s LiPo will average 8.0-7.4 for 10+ min, the 1700 SCRC would (at best) get a Peak Voltage of 8.0 for about 15-25 sec and steadily drop from there to a low of nearly 5v at the end of the run (4-4.5 min)