Traxxas chop shop

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DennisM
Approved Member

Traxxas chop shop

Post by DennisM »

It´s just some dusty old cars, but I really like fiddling with them.
Not the TRX1 though, guess it better stay original.
Tenth tech parts 006.JPG
Tenth tech parts 010.JPG
Tenth tech parts 009.JPG
Tenth tech parts 008.JPG
Tenth tech parts 007.JPG
Tenth tech parts 005.JPG
Tenth tech parts 004.JPG
Gone fishing

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: Traxxas chop shop

Post by klavy69 »

Nice collection of traxxas you have there Dennis. Nice thing about most of the older ones is that traxxas doesn't change alot of things very fast and you can still find parts or use something that will still work off another model today :wink:

Gotta ask though on the nitro hawk...is it a nitro hawk or nitro buggy? Sure is clean either way...

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

klavy69 wrote:Nice collection of traxxas you have there Dennis. Nice thing about most of the older ones is that traxxas doesn't change alot of things very fast and you can still find parts or use something that will still work off another model today :wink:

Gotta ask though on the nitro hawk...is it a nitro hawk or nitro buggy? Sure is clean either way...

Todd
Thanks - I think it´s a Nitro Street?
This one was sold in Germany as a Graupner and hasn´t seen much use.
I think the Opel body (Vauxhall) must have been provided by Graupner - a nitro street sold in USA would have had an American car body?

The parts interchangeability is a very nice thing, especially when collecting and restoring :-)
But the white parts are hard to come by.

Do You know if Andy´s or RPM made parts for these cars?

The main reason I bought this one, is because of the Flying Point copies. I have two of these, a blue and a green. So i thought I´d better have the original :-)

And all of that, because of the pan/tub. RC10 made a big impression on me.
Nitro street 002.JPG
Nitro street 001.JPG
Gone fishing

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

Ah, I see the front bumper in this picture now but should've seen the shock limiters in the first picture :wink: .

As far as I know there were no rpm or andys hopup parts for these. MIP is about the only one I'm aware of that made traxxas nitro hawk/buggy/street specific parts.

I've got a lot of used white parts on rollers if you ever decide you need to have white. Got alot of nitro hawks on the wall that will pry never see action again from me as an owner. Guess I lost the nitro bug almost completely :cry:

The opel body on yours rocks. I'm liking it better than the Corvette(?) body traxxas had. I'm not really sure but think its a vette anyway. I have had a helluva time trying to come up with nitro street bodys. But then again the traxxas body might be a ferrari testarosa or something...you make the call:
nstrfron.jpg
nstrfron.jpg (28.37 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
nstrfron.jpg
nstrfron.jpg (28.37 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
nstrback.jpg
nstrback.jpg (30.38 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
nstrback.jpg
nstrback.jpg (30.38 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
Todd

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

maybe the rpm arms for the bullet?

can you show the inners of the corvette?

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

Bullet arms are a little too short. The innards of the vette are pretty much the same as the graupner above in Dennis' post. Bout the only thing I see he has changed is the wheels/tires. Its also Not mine but stock pictures from the traxxas website.

Todd

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

ah, sorry, not corvette. cobra? the red roadster in the second pic: with the kyosho wheels

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

klavy69 wrote:Ah, I see the front bumper in this picture now but should've seen the shock limiters in the first picture :wink: .

As far as I know there were no rpm or andys hopup parts for these. MIP is about the only one I'm aware of that made traxxas nitro hawk/buggy/street specific parts.

I've got a lot of used white parts on rollers if you ever decide you need to have white. Got alot of nitro hawks on the wall that will pry never see action again from me as an owner. Guess I lost the nitro bug almost completely :cry:

The opel body on yours rocks. I'm liking it better than the Corvette(?) body traxxas had. I'm not really sure but think its a vette anyway. I have had a helluva time trying to come up with nitro street bodys. But then again the traxxas body might be a ferrari testarosa or something...you make the call:
nstrfron.jpg
nstrback.jpg
Todd
Thanks for the offer on the white parts - I might take You up on it some day. It would be for a Radictator though, I´m not much of a nitro guy (The 2,5 revo has been electrified)
How many versions of the Rad did they make. I have 2 plastic tubs with plastic shocks but different gearboxes and 1 flat chassis with alloy shocks. Perhaps Rad, Rad2 and rad Pro?
Thanks for the pictures of the ferrari and the info on the aftermarket parts..
Mr. ED wrote:ah, sorry, not corvette. cobra? the red roadster in the second pic: with the kyosho wheels
I´m quite positive that it´s a Cobra (A 1/1 would fit perfectly in my barn :-)) It´s just a Radictator streetwise setup (I don´t know what they are called?) I´ve changed a bit on the front shocks and mount to adapt the body. I´ll take a picture later today.

Dennis
Gone fishing

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

is that flat chassis angled up on the sides?
I have one of those I bought on ebay. It's graphite but lacqured with black shiny paint with a metal sparkle. Not sure if that was standard but the 'pro' was called expert and was the better version of the radicator2. Appararently the 2 was allso the version in which they chaged from white to black somewhere

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Yes it has bend sides and a grey/brown metallic paint. Mine have a lot of scatches so I´ll proberbly sand it down. There´s one good thing though, I got it with 2 nip tyre sets.

As You can see there´s not much to show on the other chassis. I still have to finish of the body mounts.
Misc 009.JPG
Misc 008.JPG
Misc 001.JPG
Gone fishing

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

its actually an eagle chassis which works out great for transfering parts onto for just about any of traxxas's tubs :wink: . Yeah the main differences between the rad and rad2 was the drivetrain. Went to the beefier tranny in the rad2. Not really sure what made the pro what it was but gonna take a guess at the better shocks and probably the pro diff. I've had quite a few of the rad/rad2/hawk/hawk2 tub cars and just couldn't find a love for them so they pretty much all went down the ebay road. The LHS has a hawk or hawk2 sitting in the shop right now in original all white condition that he has been trying to pawn on me and can't quite do it. Its missing the body and if I get one I'd like to have an original body for it.

I'm really liking that cobra body. Seen them around and never had a good shot at the front end or behind the top on it to see if they did it justice. Might just have to get one now 8) .

Todd

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Now You´re getting the full photo session :-)
The Cobra is a beauty i my opinion - I would like to paint a body (without the exhaust running on the panels) correctly as a soft top.

As for the Eagle -
Do You know what the chassis is made of? I´m thinking of sanding it down leaving it "raw" afterwards.

How does the body for the Eagle look like?

Is the white Hawk new build?

Thanks

Dennis
Cobra 004.JPG
Cobra 003.JPG
Cobra 002.JPG
Cobra 001.JPG
Gone fishing

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

the radicator chassis is graphite. If you can get acetone, just stick it in a plastic bag with acetone overnight, it will strip off that funky sparkle coating and leave you with a nice matte finish, it takes a little scrubbing, but it works well. Depends on how scratched up the bottom is though, I ended up shooting the chassis I have with some semi-gloss black. Shouldn't have to sand to get that coating off though.

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

DennisM wrote: How does the body for the Eagle look like? like a truck...will dig some pix up later
Is the white Hawk new build? Not anymore. The guy bought it and had it on shelf up til last year and ran the rear tires bald, brought it into the LHS to get tires put on and ended up trading it in on something modern to run
That Cobra body looks great...now off to ebay to find one :lol:

Todd