The Art of Low-Balling- Acceptable offers

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MOmo
Approved Member

The Art of Low-Balling- Acceptable offers

Post by MOmo »

So we have all posted up FS adds on various forums and ebay etc. For many of us, we have ideas of what we want for our stuff and in many cases, its worth Gold to us, but Lead to others. So with that said, how do many of you decide where to compromise and where to draw the line?

I recognize that vintage stuff, esp. NIP items can be substantially more, but how do you value items to remain competitive, yet still appeal to people who might be interested in what you have to sell? Obviously there is some haggling and back and forth between potential buyers and sellers, but is it practical to give up 1/3rd of your asking price? Does a complete assembled car net more than something that is a basket case? Also, with the economy being what it is, should I lower my expectations, or keep it priced competitively? Sadly there isn't a KBB for RC cars.

Case in point:
I have a couple of older kawada SV10 sedans FS on another forum. I've owned the cars for over 10 yrs, both are torn down and need rebuilding. I have many NIP parts as well as spares for rebuilding. Each car could be made to run, OR completely build one car and use the 2nd for spares. I don't see these cars pop up all that often and I know in some cases they are still available overseas, but rarely I see them online. I was asking $175 or so. I got an offer today of $125 including the shipping. I really would like to get more, but I also know that any $$ is better than nothing. I really am trying to clean out my collection, so this would help, but I would like to get a bit more. Talked to the buyer today and it sounds like he really doesn't want to pay much more, and this is the first serious offer in over 6mo of it being for sale.

(I'm still trying to get my ebay acct. set up) but do people tend to do better on forums than on Ebay? Any thoughts?

Also, for older race stuff that is out of date, but still usable, how would you price that? (Ex. I have a Mugen MTX2, minus motor with a few upgrades and spares.) I have seen NIB ones sell for cheap, and again, something is better than nothing. Is $150 too much?

I know there are Ebay threads, and I did search a little before posting this.

Thanks

MOmo

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: The Art of Low-Balling- Acceptable offers

Post by klavy69 »

I do see some stuff go higher on forums than on ebay and viceversa. For the most part I try to find other stuff that is similar for sale and try to learn a little before prices are set.

For the most part a built car will bring more than a complete car that is torn apart for whatever reason. most of the time I see a torn down car and even if it states they took it apart and just lost interest I get a little paranoid. Did they lose interest or see that the thing was totally worn out and just didn't feel like beating a dead horse by putting it back together just to have it break down again. Is it all there type thing is always in the back of my mind also.

An opinion from me that knows nothing about your cars is try them on ebay for what your absolute bottom dollar is and if it doesn't bring that its time to think about lowering or relisting til it sells.

Sorry for not being much help but thats all I got :?

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

lpddpd
Approved Member

Post by lpddpd »

I haven't sold on forums, so I can't help you there, but I have found that this time of the year is a good time to sell. Spring fever and tax refunds factor in. Tough call on finally getting an offer after 6 months. Listing on ebay might find you a buyer who's willing to pay what you want, but then you give up some of it from all the fees etc. I think a built car with spare parts is a good deal. I rebuilt my Roadrunner Xpress last year and had to go into my spares to replace a few things. Best advice I got from a hobby shop was if it's not one of the big companies, by spare parts while they're available, or else get 2 cars.

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

I appreciate it.

I guess its hard because at one time, i had such an attachment to certain items that I thought people would value them like I did. Now my attachment has changed, but again, I want to be reasonable, not giving it away.

MOmo

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

MOmo wrote: but again, I want to be reasonable, not giving it away.
understandable. I've been on that fence before and have ran some pretty rare stuff. I have taken the stand that I'm not going to give it away either. If I can get 75% of what I have into it back then I'll let it go...otherwise if someone is going to enjoy it for cheap I will enjoy it myself first.

Then you got to watch out for the flippers...but thats another thread :wink:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

ya know its hard to say. ive been able to get close to what i want selling on forums most of the time but ebay is what it is.

example, right now i have a MERV [mini e-revo] listed on a few forums. sold a more mongrel looking one last year in the fall for 240 shipped. this one im having a hard time getting anyone to offer more than 160(+shipping).

seems like the last 6 months the rc market, especially, the vintage market, is just all over the place with prices. a stampede that was worth 50 through the holiday season (one of the better selling times imo) is now fetching 75-100. and there are cases of just the opposite too.

out of date racers are weird too. anything from early 2000's before the big explosion of the newer 1/8th designs dont sell great but most that you find are kinda basket case or just worn out racers. older ofna 8th scales are pretty consistently/predictably priced though. the classic late 90's racers are starting to sell nice though. onroad maybe not and same for nitro in general but thats partly due to that new fangled 3 pole nonsense and them silly laptop batteries all dem punks got in their short bus trucks :roll: and in the case of onroad stuff its just cause onroad is hurtin and its gotten to be a chassis of the month deal at a lot of places (when 21.5 and 17.5 classes are turning faster lap times then mod you know something is wrong).

WillyThickfoot
Approved Member

Post by WillyThickfoot »

I feel in this hobby one should only sell if one DOES NOT WANT said vehicle or parts. I have afew cars and trucks that have never run since I got them and yet I wont even consider selling them. Selling any one car or truck will not change my life financially so I may as well keep it. If I want another kit then I work a few extra shifts and buy it. If I sell something then you guys can bet I dont like it or I dont need it and thats when what you said really fits. Any $$$ are better then no $$$. Thats my 2 cents. Now..... Willy needs a snack :)

PS.. If you like the car I say keep it. You wont regret it.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Momo, the SV is a "niche" touring car that doesn't have much of a racing pedrigree, they're old (although peculiar) in design, they're super hard to sell (took me ages to sell mine). I think the very fact that you're getting one offer in 6mths is a testimony to that the buyer commands the price in this case.

The MTX2 is a top-notch racer from 10yrs ago, but in a category that is striving in 2012. As with most mugen gear but the earlier stuff (Bulldog...), it's stuff that is extremely fast and hi-perf/qual, but it has no "soul" and it's widely available on the used market... will be super hard to sell at non-bargain prices too.

All in all - it's supply and demand :)

I hate haggling on prices - when a seller is asking for a fair amount, I usually say "ok with me" as a matter of basic respect for someone who's playing fair. When the seller is asking for too high an amount, sometimes I say "I cannot afford to pay that much for this item, what's you best price, and don't worry I won't ask you again and again, we both only get one shot", and it makes the whole process much easier :)

Good luck with the sales!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

WillyThickfoot wrote:I feel in this hobby one should only sell if one DOES NOT WANT said vehicle or parts. I have afew cars and trucks that have never run since I got them and yet I wont even consider selling them. Selling any one car or truck will not change my life financially so I may as well keep it. If I want another kit then I work a few extra shifts and buy it. If I sell something then you guys can bet I dont like it or I dont need it and thats when what you said really fits. Any $$$ are better then no $$$. Thats my 2 cents. Now..... Willy needs a snack :)

PS.. If you like the car I say keep it. You wont regret it.
I agree. If I sell something it is because I no longer need it. I just try not to loose money at it. All this stuff is generally a poor investment, it is for fun.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I don't think I've ever lowballed, if the price was reasonable I buy. If not I don't, and i don't find it amicable when people try it with me either.

rhino1
Approved Member

Post by rhino1 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:I don't think I've ever lowballed, if the price was reasonable I buy. If not I don't, and i don't find it amicable when people try it with me either.
I agree with Reggie on this one!
Those are my toys and no I will not share!

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Charlie don't surf wrote:I don't think I've ever lowballed, if the price was reasonable I buy. If not I don't, and i don't find it amicable when people try it with me either.
I do buy many things at asking price but I also don't see the harm in asking. You never know until you ask. I don't think many people buy a car at window sticker even if they can afford it. The negotiation is part of the game. I try not to come over as a cheap ass and reach middle ground as fast as possible. When I am the seller all I need to do is say the price I am willing to take and that is it.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I don't have a problem making offers. I wouldn't call them lowball offers because the offers aren't ridiculously less than the person is asking. I might make an offer 25% less, for example. But one of my pet peeves with Kijiji & Craigslist is the number of ijits who make you an offer that's worth a quarter of what you're asking...that's just bound to get you pissed off! :x
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Coelacanth wrote:I don't have a problem making offers. I wouldn't call them lowball offers because the offers aren't ridiculously less than the person is asking. I might make an offer 25% less, for example. But one of my pet peeves with Kijiji & Craigslist is the number of ijits who make you an offer that's worth a quarter of what you're asking...that's just bound to get you pissed off! :x
That's when I don't respond to the person making the offer. The way I figure it, if he's not going to show me respect in trying to deal with me then I won't be troubled either. I sometimes have some fun with it, string them along and kill some of their time before telling them as nicely as possibly to urinate into a strong head wind... ;)

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Yeah, if something is a fair price, I'll grab it no questions asked. If I think the price is out of line, I might inquire about it, just to see if the guy really doesn't know the true value, or if he just has his head in the sky. Lots of guys try and sell gold-plated turds.

I will sometimes ask if I can purchase something at the price given, shipped; the same way I give myself an artificial ceiling when placing bids on ebay(include shipping in max bid). realistically in the continental US, USPS can ship most small items for around $3-5 bucks, so....you can color me guilty on trying to lowball by a couple bucks.

I'd like to think I also sell items at a fair price, but always entertain offers.