Check out my new "ride"

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Check out my new "ride"

Post by Coelacanth »

I just took possession of my new "ride" yesterday evening...and yes, it's something I CAN actually ride in! :P

For the last 3 or 4 months I was researching various SUV models that were in my price range and had enough room to load a 6-piece drum kit in, that didn't look like soccer-mom minivans. I was very close to buying an '06 - '08 Ford Escape but the rather gutless 200 hp motor, the biggest motor for that vehicle, just didn't grab my attention. I considered a Chevy Trailblazer/GMC Envoy, they definitely have balls to spare, but guzzle gas like nobody's business and seem to be plagued with electrical problems. One of my coworkers bought one and sold it within a year, he didn't like it at all. I looked at the imports with more than 200 hp, but the affordable ones (Saturn VUE, Kia Sorento, etc.) seemed to have reliability issues as well. The Japanese ones were all way too expensive, none in the '06 to '08 age range were under 20 grand.

I finally looked into the Chevy Equinoxes & Pontiac Torrents, the 2008 models introduced a 3.6L motor (Equinox Sport, Torrent GXP) that put out a surprising 264 hp, and 0-60 times of under 7 seconds. Even better, these models had 6-speed transmissions, perfect for highway driving and decent gas mileage. The best of both worlds! And what I found also surprising is they're deceptively large inside; you'd think an Escape had more room inside, but that's not the case. The Torrent has more headroom, legroom, shoulder room, and rear cargo space than the Escape! I'm 5'10" and sitting in it, I feel like I'm sitting nice and high, I get a good view of the road and tons of headroom. When you look at the car, it looks small, but it's quite spacious.

This baby had all the good options; moon-roof, seat warmers, premium Pioneer stereo 6-CD changer with 7 speakers, remote keyless entry, anti-theft system, all-wheel-drive, lowered sport-tuned suspension...pretty much everything except a navigation system, which doesn't really concern me.

And when you put the pedal to the mat...this thing gets up and goes! :shock: I'm used to driving vehicles with power to spare, I couldn't get enjoyment from a vehicle that lacked balls. This Torrent GXP seems to be everything I was looking for!

It's melting snow here so it'll be a while before I can detail it and take proper pics, but what do you guys think?
Attachments
Torrent.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Goatless
Approved Member

Re: Check out my new "ride"

Post by Goatless »

Very nice!! 8)
"I'm like the fat girl at the prom, just glad to be here!!!

Southern Fried Racing : The Sequel

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

My wife drives an '08 Equinox, sister truck, though we have the 3.4l and 5 speed auto. We get average 20.5MPG combined, which isn't bad considering how much local traveling gets done.

they are a little narrow, but I love the truck. It basically replaced her Olds Alero because carting the baby in a 2 door at the time was difficult, but the funny thing is the controls are very similar, so it's kinda like her 'truck' alero (she loved that car).

Great buy!! We haven't had any problems other than the damn headlight being a PITA to change because you have to pull the headlight assembly out to do it. It's up to 55k and counting quickly.....the pontiac headlight should be cake because the chevy has a grill bar that cuts through the assembly, where that one doesn't.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

[youtube]xK_XWH7Ryd4&ob=av2e[/youtube]
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I know of a few people who have Equinoxes and they all seem to love them.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:[youtube]xK_XWH7Ryd4&ob=av2e[/youtube]
I wasn't going to say it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah, at least you bought Amer....er, Canadian!

Nice rig Marc.
Gary

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

We just picked up an Equinox and I have to agree the amount of space inside is amazing!

Congrats on the new ride!

ED

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Very nice- we're in the same market and now you have me thinking.

We were considering a Traverse but the Equinox would work just as well interior size wise. Our issue is we have a small pop-up camper trailer that we currently tow with our 2004 Venture. Since they no longer offer the 3.4L the Equinox is now only rated at 1500lb max towing. The 08 I just looked up (thanks to your post) will tow 3500lbs... much more than the 1600-1800 lbs I need.

I will now be on the lookout for a 2008-9 Equinox or Torrent. Thanks!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Decided to buy a product from the company we all own eh? Or is it Obama's... I can't get that one straight, :)

Nice "Ride"...

I guess since its your "Ride" I'm wondering who drives? :lol:
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Looking good dude!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Thanks guys! civilguy, the decision between Equinox Sport & Torrent GXP pretty much boils down to appearance. I would've gone either way if one was available at a price I wanted to pay, but I preferred the Torrent's looks...it has red taillights instead of the ricer-inspired clear ones of the Equinox, and something about the Equinox 'face'--with the tall headlights made taller with the chrome separator piece--just didn't look as clean to me...but it's just personal preference. They both have an aggressive look and because of the sport-tuned suspension, sit a bit lower than the 3.4L versions.

You could probably find one with low miles for $18K or less, with some patience and luck. Mine was originally a $41K car when new, which I bought for under $17K with 74K kilometers on the odometer. Gotta love depreciation!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

Just do yourself a favor and watch the oil change intervals. GM has had some issues with the oil life indicators going 12,000+ miles before saying it needs changed. There for a while I had at least one 3.6 out a month putting timing chains in them for that reason. The ones that stick to 5 or 6,000 seem to be ok but most of them I put chains in were trying to go 8-10,000. other than the timing chains we havent seen too many issues with the 3.6. In the smaller vehicles like the torrent, malibus and impalas they run great. The traverse and acadia is a bit much and they seem to get kinda poochy.

Nick

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Thanks for the tip, cautrell05. :)

I took the new Torrent--I need a name for it eventually--for its first road trip, ~300 km from Edmonton to Calgary where I'll be all this week doing some hardware work & getting some Deutz genset training. The gas mileage seems to average out at 11.7L/100 km, or about 20 mpg. I was hoping it would be a bit better, the car is rated at 24 mpg/highway...but we all know those ratings must be done in a vacuum-sealed frictionless dome that bears no relation to real-world situations. :x At any rate, it gets way better mileage than my '98 Dakota Sport with 5.2L motor. The Dakota has a bigger tank and the trip to Calgary used up 2/3 to 3/4 of a tank of gas. The Torrent has a smaller tank and used up just more than half...and the Torrent has approx. 35 more horses. Loving the 6-speed tranny!

And the 3.6L accelerates shockingly fast for an SUV. Maybe I like that part the most. :twisted: I've always loved sleepers and the Torrent GXP is certainly that!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Orange wrote:Decided to buy a product from the company we all own eh? Or is it Obama's... I can't get that one straight, :)
Don't worry Sean, when you elect him a second term he will finish making everything right :wink: :lol:

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Just an update... we found a nice '08 Equinox LT with the 3.4 to replace our aging minivan. The wife is very happy with it- she liked the color and it has a sunroof & remote starter (that's all it took). :wink:

This is one of the dealers pics:
equinox1.jpg
It's got 53k (average) but was put in service 1/09 so it's got almost 2 years left on the powertrain. Dealer also included a 12mo/12k bumper-to-bumper ($100 deductible of course), but we got it for under $16k and got what we wanted for our trade, so we're quite happy.

Thanks for the OP, as it set the wheels in motion! :D
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff