T3 J82

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Vermin
Approved Member

T3 J82

Post by Vermin »

Well, had a friend that told me he had an 'RC10' for me. I was all amped up and excited about building an old school vintage buggy like I had always wanted in the mid 80's. Turns out it's a T3. I was initially bummed out a bit as a little research tells me this is a real bastard-child of a truck. There is very little aftermarket - T2 stuff doesn't fit - T4 stuff doesn't fit.. so I was sort of stuck wondering what the heck I was going to do with it. Came here and browsed around a bit again and ran into Vintage AE's 'RC10T Buggy Thingy' thread and remembered how much I liked it. That immediately turned the little light on in my head about that JConcepts J82 kit. Sooo, long story short - ordered up a J82 (Yeah, it's for a T4) that I'm going to throw on it and hopefully run it out at the local track (not sure what class they'll throw me in, but I'm sure they'll let me run somewhere) while I'm waiting for 4x4 Short Course rounds.

Here are a few pics of my T3 beater.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Re: T3 J82

Post by littleVETTE »

there's still quite a bit of parts available for your t3. you could upgrade the shock towers to graphite, you could also upgrade the shocks, and various other parts on the truck. even the body is still available. you could get the original associated wheels or goto the more modern proline veloctiy wheels. like i said, parts are still available. no need to upgrade to the joncepts j82. i don't know if you're going to run it in a club race, or other. but i don't know what the current rules are for stadium trucks and skinny tires up front. the t3 was quite competitive in it's heyday.

just take it apart, clean or replace anything that needs replacing. you'll be surprised how the truck runs.

Vermin
Approved Member

Post by Vermin »

I'm sure it would run good, but I've always liked the J82 look :) Got the truck stripped last night and found out the chassis was cracked up front. Also found out the transmission had bushings in it... ugh. Tranny bearings, new chassis, T4.1 top-shaft and slipper all on it's way. I have a Castle system for it already - an SV2 I built a while ago with a fan on it. I'll be scrubbing nylon and cleaning rust today.. post up some new pics when shiney new stuff starts arriving.

Rob -

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

nice

Vermin
Approved Member

Post by Vermin »

Nothing horribly exciting as I'm still waiting for my Tower order to show (cross referenced a bunch of Thunder Tiger part #'s).

1 super clean T3 trans with T4 topshaft and clutch (and bearings!) -

1 box of JCon wheels / tires / body / stuff -

Vermin
Approved Member

Post by Vermin »

Been a busy week so I didn't get as much done as I normally do on this stuff (A bit OCD) - but it's coming back together pretty nicely. Most of the parts cleaned up really well. I'm definitely going to have to mod the T3 rear arms to inboard the shock mount a bit - but otherwise haven't run into any real problems with reassembly.

Zmd73

Post by Zmd73 »

How did you get the black plastic so clean and shinny? I have an old T3 that needs a little TLC.

Thanks
D-

geeforce59
Approved Member

Post by geeforce59 »

Just use armor all or son of a gun! it will shine! :D
im using it also on my tires looks new all the time! :mrgreen:

Vermin
Approved Member

Post by Vermin »

Armorall wipes for the shine - find my cars usually come clean pretty easy after being wiped down too. Update on this - waiting for my SV2 to come back from Castle - had a bit of a meltdown on the soccer fields first run out. It was running great before the meltdown though! :D