Kyosho Maxxum FF running

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MrBeno
Approved Member

Kyosho Maxxum FF running

Post by MrBeno »

Hi All, New here and my first post and I hope I can contribute well to this forum. I know it is my first post but this last weekend I finaly got my Kyosho Maxxum FF from the late 80's running on the road again a few days ago. Next time I think I will update the battery/charger and maybe a new controller, however she ran pretty decent except for electronic issues but what else should I expect from the electronic parts made over 20 years ago, I was shocked the battery ran that long.

Enjoy. I will be on the other brand boards in RC10talk as well showing the old cars off and some new live video footage. My others vintages are JRX-T. RC 12L, Tamiya Fox & Falcon and the Newman Porsche 956. Cheers and enjoy. And let me know if you have any questions about the Maxxum.

[youtube]q_X_I6Cf-vc[/youtube]

highwayracer
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Maxxum FF running

Post by highwayracer »

I love the "clunk" of the 2 stick radio. I've always liked the Maxxum (restoring a couple right how) and it's too bad that the FWD class never got going. I still remember seeing all of the FWD optima conversions from Japan back in the day.

MrBeno
Approved Member

Post by MrBeno »

I know what you mean with that clunk, I almost forgot about that and the trim before I started it in the vid. I have about 3 or 4 magnums somewhere in the storage but still can't find them. About the FWD and optima conversion, I wish I could see them race. I really never raced before other then just a local hobby shop with a dirt track with my FOX (still got it) and then The kids in my development with RC cars all built are own local little track in the woods which was cool.

Sorry for rambling, just too many great memories running back in the 80's and such.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Runner maxxums are pretty rare! Welcome to the forum :)

And the "clunk" from sticks should not happen.... you're never supposed to let them go by themselves ;)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Dude--that vid almost made me woof my cookies. You need to get someone else to do the recording while you drive. :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

MrBeno
Approved Member

Post by MrBeno »

Thanks guys, yeah that clunk was a scarry clunk, I lost total reception of the car (it was aiming towards a parking spot curb) until it swung around and went at me (luckily).

That was just spur of the moment for the filming I had less then an hour of sunlight left and about a little over an hour till the liquor store was closing and decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and take some footage. We had rain the past two days and didn't feel like waiting. I will bring my tripod next time or get someone else. By the way does anyone know of a cheap but decent 7.2volt nicad and cheap charger to get?

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

Cool video. I've thought about picking up a Maxxum more than once because theyre so unique.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Momo5 wrote:Cool video. I've thought about picking up a Maxxum more than once because theyre so unique.
I thought everyone had a Maxxum FF stash away :mrgreen:
My FF is almost new, I built it for the local hobby shop, and did some test runs with it. Then I used ESC and different tires, motor and gold shocks. I think I drove 4 packs at the local track, and then I gave up. The front wheels was just spinning, it was hard to get any traction at all! :? 5 year later I pick it up for $50; I also thought it was a unique car. :D
Kyosho Maxxum FF 10.jpg
Kyosho Maxxum FF 10.jpg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Kyosho Maxxum FF 10.jpg
Kyosho Maxxum FF 10.jpg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Kyosho Maxxum FF 11.jpg
Kyosho Maxxum FF 11.jpg (63.1 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Kyosho Maxxum FF 11.jpg
Kyosho Maxxum FF 11.jpg (63.1 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

MrBeno
Approved Member

Post by MrBeno »

Nice Maxxum,

Also have you ever experimented with running it on the road with street slicks? (it makes a fun and pretty fast road car) I did that a lot of the time with mine and the Maxxum has the availiblity to be completly lowered. You probably know this, but look at the two large allen screws in the front arm (they contact the chassis where you see the tabs sticking out when you tunr the car upside down.) Turning it (tight will lower it) with out even messing with the shock placement. And I left the rear a little higher but lower then I would for dirt. And when taking jumps on dirt if it comes down in the front to much just funit in the air, the rear wheels will drop.

This is just from remembering many years ago Also I hear you with the tire spin, the other thing is make you use tire glue. I have not glued my original tires yet but I have for the slicks and for secondary dirt ones. Also play with the front suspension and those allen screws.

edit: for my stupidity in physics braking front wheels will make nose drop, florring front wheels will make it rise (at least from what I remember)

One more Edit to show lowering screw in lower front arms: GOD I need to cleans car much better this!
Attachments
maxxumlowering.jpg

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

I don’t remember what I exactly did, it’s 20 years ago. But when you mention the allen screws, I remember playing around with them. I was pretty serious back then when it came to racing and testing. If I remember correctly I even put in a ball diff, adjustable ti-rods, and ball bearings. And I agree with you, it’s fast on the tarmac.
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Cool vid and car. I always wanted one of these because they were so different. Never go around to buying one though.