YZ10 advice needed

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flipwils11
Approved Member

YZ10 advice needed

Post by flipwils11 »

Alright, just like the Javelin (that I haven't bought yet, but still lust after, and the Avante which is the same situation) I really like the YZ10. It's so mean and hunkered down looking, and I can't stop staring at the shelfer that William has for sale right now in the for sale section. But rather than buy a shelfer, I'd like a limited runner I think. I guess that parts are rare, but I see a ton of stuff on ebay for what seems like reasonable prices.

I think I need to get educated on YZ10's, what is the "dogfighter" (sounds cool to me, makes me think of Japanese Zero fighters in WWII), and what's the best approach for me? I'd like to customize (and likely anodize some colors) on aluminum parts, which I see are available on fleabay. Should I get a beat runner and get it upgraded?

The belt drive on these looks a bit.......... er..........weak. At least compared to a modern B44. But I've had a B44, but decided to pass it on (to William actually, lol, and he's selling that one too in his thread). Can I run a decently powerful motor in a YZ10 (brushless)?

Sorry for the newb questions, but I remember the YZ10 from my youth when I had a tricked out gold pan and never quite got the Yokomo/Masami/Associated relationship. Like an American/Japanese alliance of some sort, but as an Associated guy, that makes Yokomo alright in my book I guess! :mrgreen: So maybe now, finally as an adult, it's time for me to add a YZ10 to the stable of cars.

bscotti
Approved Member

Re: YZ10 advice needed

Post by bscotti »

I wouldn't waste my money on a used up example. You'll end up paying way more for the rare hard to find parts that will have to be replaced. Ask me how I know ... The belt drive is plenty robust. I run a 10.5 brushless with no problems. You'll find more of the 870c/YZ10 models out there with a better parts availability that the '91+ models. Best reference around ... http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2654
Classics rule, moderns drool

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Buy a new built if you can afford it. It would be good to get a lightly used car also but that may be another problem in itself as you'll really have to do your research to know just how 'used' it actualy is.
Used examples often have a lot of surplus play/slop in much of the suspension and steering componants. A new built will be perfect from the get go. Otherwise you'll spend far too much money tracking down parts and the shipping charges associated with having them sent your way.

I like the driveline of the Dogfighter. Very simple and also reliable enough when a little care is taken. As with all belt drive cars, you'll need to find ways to keep debris from entering into the belt pulleys but the performance outweighs and trouble this presents.

Dogfighters are super cars. Anyone that would say otherwise simply has no idea.
:mrgreen:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

There are actually nice lightly used examples out there too. I picked this one up from ebay a while back and while it was a gamble I was shocked (in a good way) to find it had very little wear and had a few nice upgrades to boot. And while it wasn't cheap (I got it for $200 and change) it certainly didn't break the bank and is nice enough to sit on my shelf, and used enough to run without guilt. I'd say, keep your eyes peeled and a nice one will pop up for a good price.
Attachments
mini-DSC01345.JPG
Gary

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

if you go with an 870c/yz10, you can find those parts quite easily on ebay and on these forums.

as long as your diff pulleys, steering, center shaft and bulkheads/caps are in nice shape, you don't have much to worry about. belts can be had, diff parts are mostly easy to get, etc etc etc. You'll wanna put at least associated shocks on it anyway, so nothing to worry about there. jc racing of UK makes 2.2 wheels that fit (need a little custom hub work though). some kyosho parts can fit as replacements as well. Yr4 drivetrain parts also mostly fit, as the yr4 was more or less an 870c touring car version.

all in all, not as easy to find stuff as an rc10, but it's not impossible.

I always liked the YZ10 but could never afford one as a kid. I ended up with three project cars that are un-assembled right now, picking up parts and bits at a time, I don't have alot invested in them, and they will be in nice shape when I get them done.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful. I'm still researching and getting an understanding, and entering saved searches on fleabay. :)

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

I would try eBay for a lightly used YZ, you can come across them for a pretty good price, you just have to be patient. there are a couple on eBay now (Not Mine lol), id love to run one on the track sometime, thats where im headed, less cars i cant bring myself to run to cars that i feel ok to run.

I hate selling anything but it is just getting out of hand at the moment lol, I actually sold off a few and have a little room to move lol. I might remove a few from my list now that i have a little room, the area i have to work in is only so big, i have 3 clodbusters on the way and no place to store them lol.

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

Have mine in ebay now and on here, not the yoke expert but i've always wanted to have obe before, but need to provide first so off with the hobby first..
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I agree with the YZ10/870C. Parts are plentiful and farily easy to round up. You may have to wait a bit but they do come around often. The JC wheels are also the way to go. I have JC wheels on my 870C.

Be careful in what you do. I turned this into this and spent way too much money along the way :lol: . This was a car I got from William too, LOL. One day I am going to throw electronics in this car and run it. Probably not going to be a good idea and will end up trashing something on it, but I want to drive this thing bad.

Jake

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

there's not much of that original car left......just pretty much the diff pulleys and bulkheads right? :lol: