JRX2 - Custom Chassis Protector / Feeler Post with pics...

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

JRX2 - Custom Chassis Protector / Feeler Post with pics...

Post by UltraHIVE »

Hey all,

I got tired of saying to myself "This chassis is too nice to run"... With that, I traced out a few chassis', and wallah! This material is thin flexible, printable lexan, with 1 smooth side, and the other lightly textured for rugged use. The smooth side can be printed on in reverse to show through, that way the print stays protected.

I'm making them for all my vintage Losi's, for 3 different chassis'; JRX2, JRXT, and JRX Pro... with or without mounting holes. The ones without holes are meant for shelf models, to be double sided taped to the bottom of the chassis. I would use the Scotch brand, thin clear, cut into 1/4 wide strips, following the outer edge of the chassis. The ones with holes are for runners of all kinds.

I designed a special countersink die-cut for the recessed screw holes, to reduce buldging. Not all chassis' are the same, even from the same models. The material is expensive but worth it to produce if this would be something people were into. The design possibilites are endless, from clear to colored, to multicolored, different logos... whatever!

This is not a for sale thread, just a feeler post to see what everyone thinks. Soo, what do y'all think? 8)

(This is a Pro chassis protector, printed with a JRX2 logo pattern in Traffic Grey, with a Black background)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: JRX2 - Custom Chassis Protector / Feeler Post with pics.

Post by Coelacanth »

Interestingly, ROH73 and I put together a similar thing for a Kyosho Optima/Turbo Optima/Javelin/Salute! It protects the belly-plate, some of the front lower chin piece, and even the underside of the rear gearbox. 8)

I like your idea of reverse-printing some logos on the inside, that's pretty cool.

I'll be making a post and putting up some pics of my design in the near future. It's a great idea to help protect running vintage RC cars!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

Coelacanth wrote:Interestingly, ROH73 and I put together a similar thing for a Kyosho Optima/Turbo Optima/Javelin/Salute! It protects the belly-plate, some of the front lower chin piece, and even the underside of the rear gearbox. 8)

I like your idea of reverse-printing some logos on the inside, that's pretty cool.

I'll be making a post and putting up some pics of my design in the near future. It's a great idea to help protect running vintage RC cars!
Cool, and thanks. I'm building a CNC router for more advanced creation.

Besides die-cut and decal printing, I'm a pro 3D modeler 8)

Looking forward to reading your thread.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

they look really cool. got a few runner cars i would like to get them for, unfortunetly i only have 1 losi lol...

and another long islander holy crap! lol. i think there are 4 members now from long island

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I model in 3D as well. Right now I'm using Solidworks at work and Inventor at home. At my last job I used Pro-E and hated it. I own a small 3D router and it is run on Mastercam X-5. I'm still learning and getting it setup though.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i'd be all over that for my runner jrx2, already scratched up but still i'd rock one.\

let me know how much and when you are going to make them. :mrgreen:

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

Im itching to make one for my black / red / purple X2, it has the original shorter chassis, and to do it with the same design as the body... But I'd have to disassemble it :( I have a used chassis in route though.... :D

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

fredswain wrote:I model in 3D as well. Right now I'm using Solidworks at work and Inventor at home. At my last job I used Pro-E and hated it. I own a small 3D router and it is run on Mastercam X-5. I'm still learning and getting it setup though.
Thats what Im talking bout! nice Fred :) You're like 150 steps ahead of me, I've been soo busy that I drove myself into a rut as far as progress goes. I'm old school Lightwave, but It converts to dxf as long as I build my models specifically for export. I have Mach 3 and LazyCam for converting, so far from my dreams still...

Heres some older models I made for web, all made with lots of polygons, exactly what you dont want when outputing to CNC... haha! And below them my router, codename: Genesis 8)

ImageImage
ImageImage

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I've never done anything near that fancy as all of my stuff has been for work. I do r&d work and mechanical design in a mechanical engineering department and do stress analysis using Ansys FEA. Before this I did design and drafting in an oil related job. My stuff looks pretty industrial and boring by comparison to what you've done.

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

OMG Lightwave, I haven't heard that name in soooo long. Used to run a kracked version back in Mac OS 8 days. That kracked version crashed at the worst times. :)

Then I got to use SoftImage, Alias/Wavefront (pre Maya), and GameGen in college. Those programs made Lightwave look like Microsoft Office verses Microsoft Works.
Now, I don't use any of them. :( I so want to make my own 3d routing table and get into protyping stuff with Solidworks or the like. Time is just not there right now.

You guys make me jealous.
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

This is where I'm at.... Im an old school Star Trek movie fan, hense the name Genesis. If "time" were a character, it would be KAHN!!! :lol:

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

My cnc is a Torchmate 2X2. It has a range of 24" X and Y and 12" Z. It's perfect for hobby related items. I've got a 3/4 hp Porter Cable router attached to it right now but there are many other options for the machine. I never plan to use a water jet or plasma cutter on it so I'm setting it up for wood and plastic. It is currently sitting in my storage unit until I get the cabinet built. I want it fully enclosed with a vacuum system to collect the dust and debris since a router throws out a huge dust storm that isn't too fun to clean up. I've got a buddy that wants me to make rc airplane parts. I want to make model railroad and rc car parts. Hopefully I'll get it up and running soon where I can make what I want. There's money waiting to be made and I've got lots of plans!

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

fredswain wrote:There's money waiting to be made and I've got lots of plans!
I like that quote... :D

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I've also got a DBA and a tax ID number so I can legally sell anything I produce.

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

Yea, you dont want to mess around. I was required to incorporate just to purchase my print machines, total of a 15k initial investment. Lets me stay home though, cant beat that in this heat :D