Trinity Monster Horse Power motor specs?

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Balr14

Trinity Monster Horse Power motor specs?

Post by Balr14 »

My RC10 buggy has this motor: Trinity Monster Horse Power 1987 Word Champion. It doesn't seem to make much power with a 3000 mah, 7.2 V nimh battery. I'm wondering if there's a good replacement motor?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Trinity Monster Horse Power motor specs?

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The motor may just be worn out, or just the brushes- maybe get something cheap from ebay like the take out Reedy Radon 17t's-

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

are the battery's new or are they from 1987 !! maybe try a different pack

Paul

trkneller
Approved Member

Post by trkneller »

treehugger wrote:are the battery's new or are they from 1987 !! maybe try a different pack

Paul
Ha! We could have WISHED they had NiMH 3000mAh batteries in '87!
1200mAh NiCD was the best I had back then.

Balr14

Post by Balr14 »

The battery is brand new, about 5 cycles through it. The ESC is also new, a 60 - 75 amp LRP AI Quantum Runner with reverse. The motor looks to be in very good condition with no serious brush wear or build-up on the commutator. I would guess it's top speed is less than 15mph. Maybe that was normal in 1987. A brushed motors any better now? I tried the battery in my Stampede 4 x 4 and it's much faster.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Hung brush spring, or incorrect brush tension caused by a sacked brush spring

Balr14

Post by Balr14 »

The brush springs are good. I'm going to the LHS tomorrow and see if I can compare it to some other brushed motors.

Update:

Rather than waiting, I ran some tests of the motor myself. I found that it arcs badly under full throttle and overheats very quickly. On closer inspection I found the brushes appear to be burnt (they are much darker for the last 1/16") and the commutator is pitted badly. I should have noticed that before but my eyesight sucks. I guess that isn't surprising since it's been sitting in a box in a cold, wet Wisconsin garage for 20 years.

How about a Traxxas Slash brushed motor?

filzemail
Approved Member

Post by filzemail »

-I think that the motor is a 27 turn, 24 degree advance timing stock motor. I also agree that a hung or bent brush is at fault. These motors were fast for their time, not nearly as fast as a brushless setup. Try a 19 turn rebuildable stock and you should see and feel a difference in the output..
If you go to a hot low turn motor you will go faster, but your run time will be decreased greatly. I am guessing that you are not doing any serious racing, so if bang for the buck is important, then a 19 turn will do the trick.

Balr14

Post by Balr14 »

My ESC says 18 turns or more, so 19 sounds good. Any suggestions as to a decent one? Once I can find some upgrade wheels and tires that fit, I'll probably switch to brushless. But, until or unless that happens, I'd just like to run brushed. I don't want to sink a lot of money in it if I can't get decent traction and ground clearance.

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I love my team checkpoint 19t - the brushes are expensive though.

I don't have 1, but I read the Trinity Komodo Dragon 19t was pretty decent.
-Kevin

filzemail
Approved Member

Post by filzemail »

What kind of surfaces are you running on if groung clearance is a concern? Are you running in a grassy field? Grass has tremendous drag, it will heat up any motor/battery combo. You will lose both top end and run time. Try your setup on a dirt lot that does not have a bunch of boulders sticking out or even on a well used trail. There is nothing wrong with brushed motors except the lower runtime and extra upkeep as compared to brushless.

Balr14

Post by Balr14 »

I'm really stressing about the wheels/tires. The surface I'm running on is mixed, there's some grass but it shouldn't be a serious issue. But, my front tires are about gone and many knobs on the rear tires are worn or broken off. I have not been able to find any replacements (wheels or tires). Nothing seems to fit or there's not clearance. The LHS I go can't offer any help either, they said try online.

So, the brushed motor is a temporary thing. If I can resolve the wheel\tire issue, I'll go brushless. Otherwise, when these tires go, the RC10 goes back in the box for another 20 years.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

If you'd like to see alot of informationand try a few options, try this thread:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8848

the problem is that buggy tires are now 2.2" standard, and only few companies make anything smaller in diameter.

if you want to convert over to 2.2" the easiest way I know of is to use JC racing wheels, available on ebay. The newest front tires are a bit wide for the rims, but they still work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Associated-RC10-wheel-set-/170649288524?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&var=&hash=item6d6feb857b

another option is to use what m_vice did on his rc10, use HPI wheels that are modified.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20904

both of those options don't really modify the car in any way, so you can stick them on and go.

Balr14

Post by Balr14 »

Thanks a lot! I ordered the JC Racing wheel set from EBay. Now, to find some tires! I guess this whole process would go a lot easier if I had previous experience with RC cars and knew my way around them better. But, I don't.

Balr14

Post by Balr14 »

I replaced the old motor with a 20 turn HPI motor. Performance is quite nice. I was about to try an 8.4v nimh battery when I lost an axle.