HELP !! is this Edinger? Cadillac? or plain-ol-RC10???

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

billetproofcustoms
Approved Member

HELP !! is this Edinger? Cadillac? or plain-ol-RC10???

Post by billetproofcustoms »

Ok guys, I need some help!!

I just aquired an original complete "A" stamp car (no wheels or body) and another "A" stamped chassis tub.
The complete car still has what I believe to be the original motor in it as well, It had front and side bumpers installed, but other than that upon disassembly, it appears that absolutely everything down to the last screw has been untouched.. Every fastener appears to be in its proper place and original to the car. The only flaw in it is that it has 3 extra ( very small) countersunk holes in it..:(

This car has very distinct light gold anodizing on it compared to the other "A" stamp chassis. ( see side by side pic)
does this denote an older Edinger/Cadillac car?

I am relatively new to RC10's, and have learned alot from this board, but I need help on this one, I just want to know what I have and if it is worth a restoration.

Please look at the pics and let me know what you guys think..

THANKS!!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: HELP !! is this Edinger? Cadillac? or plain-ol-RC10???

Post by DerbyDan »

Every RC10 is worthy of some TLC, yours looks like a good base for a re-build/restoration either to full shelf queen or runner spec (I always think that its nice to build at least one RC10 runner to fully appreciate this great design)

Your particular car is very similar to my #6160 (the kit Ref Number) in terms of spec & era... it has some early car features which could make it either a very late Edinger or early Cadillac, but ultimately it doesn't have the parts that would date it to definately being a Edinger car

I think too much emphisis (& value) is put on cars which appear to be from Edinger assembled kits, in truth Associated produced kits from that address for probably 3 years... so there's plenty of early cars out there. Then it seems there was a cross-over where it seems Associated could have operated out of the two addresses for a short time? Cars which should command more $$s are those truely early cars (with glass fibre battery straps & cupped rear shock spring seats)

Edited to add; I forgot to say that your motor is an early aftermarket motor from Trinity, not the original for the car :wink:

billetproofcustoms
Approved Member

Thanks for your input! So are the fiberglass batt strap and the cupped spring perches the only parts that would indicate an early car? ( this one has neither). Just curious to learn these things for future reference :)

Also, just after I posted, I remembered that these cars came with Reedy motors, correct?

I plan to restore this one, not sure what color scheme I want to do on it though...

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Check out the "25 years of the RC10" thread in this RC10 sub-forum for all the info you need.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13059

But to sum up some of the distinct features for the early Edingers which are considered very rare and of great worth:

Fiberglass Battery Straps
Cup-type rear lower shock spring cups
Front spring cups without a cut for the shock shaft to go thru
Dual Servo Saver brackets
Shock pistons with square notch instead of holes
7 Rib front tires with Goodyear on the sides
Goodyear rear tires
Transmission spline pivots, both held on with two large e-clips
Early distinctly formed, hard, clear diff cover
No-Stamp chassis (the rarest ones) or A stamp chassis with the very light gold anodizing
Rear Bulkhead without cut or recess in bottom to allow rear suspension mounts to move forward
Spring Adjustment collars with screws have no ridge, shelf or "shoulder" for the spring to rest on
Nylon wing nuts for the rear wheels
Distinct solid white diamond shaped wing buttons
Shock seals at top are very small diameter, nearly matching the diameter of the cap
White plastic ball cups with no nut built into it (rarest) or just the very small hex nut formed next to the ball part (not the ones with the hex form all the way down the side as these are considered common)

Motor was a Blue and Silver Associated Stock motor (27 Turn armature), with the Edinger Address on the label.

This is just a basic rundown.

billetproofcustoms
Approved Member

Thanks Ruffy,

I was hoping you might chime in.. :D

Based on your info, it seems I have some early parts:

Very light anodized tub and nose piece
Front spring cups are solid, not split, as are the rear, but they are not the cup type.
I have not been in the shocks yet, I will post back with those results.
Bulkhead does not have the cutouts if I am not mistaken.
Small diameter shock seals
no nut built into the ball caps.

So what would be your opinion that I do with this car? Full restore? box art? replica of a famous RC10? Runner? Custom?

Thanks for everyones input so far!

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Not sure, but it looks like your ball cups have the "hex" portion on them next to the ball socket.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

So what would be your opinion that I do with this car? Full restore? box art? replica of a famous RC10? Runner? Custom?
Depends on you honestly, and how much time, resources and energy you have and what you are particular too?!
For me the RC10 in its' purest form is what I love the most but that was because I used to race these back in the 80's with the stock wiper speed control, charged my batteries initially using the stock resistance wire system for charging, and had a blast with it. Brings back sweet memories each time, and a "feel" like an old worn jacket or your favorite blue jeans for me.

It really depends on what motivates you or has motivated you to buying this RC10 and where you want to go with it.
Not sure how much better I can help you find an answer for your buggy.
:D

billetproofcustoms
Approved Member

Well, what motivates me about Rc10's is the fact that back in the 80's, I raced mostly Tamiyas, because I simply could not afford an RC10. I aquired my first one about 3 months ago, and I have aquired 3 more since... :mrgreen: Now I know why I wanted one so bad back then...lol

To speak to my style, I would have to say I am a custom build kind of guy, since I do build 1:1 cars, trucks, and motorcycles as I can.

here is my last RC10:

I want to keep the cars (RC10's) I build "pure" and correct, yet I want them to express who I am, I typicaly do custom paint, "Race car" themed. I however do not want these cars to lose what makes them an RC10 either...make sense?? So for me, doing a box art car just wouldnt do it for me, nothing wrong with it at all, its just not who I am

Ruffy wrote:
Depends on you honestly, and how much time, resources and energy you have and what you are particular too?!
For me the RC10 in its' purest form is what I love the most but that was because I used to race these back in the 80's with the stock wiper speed control, charged my batteries initially using the stock resistance wire system for charging, and had a blast with it. Brings back sweet memories each time, and a "feel" like an old worn jacket or your favorite blue jeans for me.

It really depends on what motivates you or has motivated you to buying this RC10 and where you want to go with it.
Not sure how much better I can help you find an answer for your buggy.
:D

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Exactly!
Make it your own and enjoy it as you would like to. There is really no wrong way to enjoy an RC10 or build one, just a different and unique one for many.

:)

badattitude
Approved Member

Post by badattitude »

One of the things I like about RC10's is there's an unlimited number of configurations. So many parts are available you can truly make it your own.

I do like to keep "period correct" parts on mine. Meaning, if you have a 1989 esc and motor, try to match with other components (body, radio tires, ect.) of the same time period.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Cadillac.ack.ack.ack.ack....You oughta know by now!...... Ok that is my sad Billy Joel, Movin Out line! :roll: :mrgreen:

Nice cars btw!

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

LOL Rod!

I agree it looks like a Cadillac to me as well to be honest.
The shock seals are large (not small as small ones are hard to see almost), and as was pointed out by RC10Resto the ball cups do have the small molded-in nut next to the ball.
The light anodize may not be so light as you think, just lighter than the chassis you are comparing it to. There were quite a few shades of Cadillac chassis. I even helped confirm it here with another member when he sent me his chassis that he compared against two other chassis in photos sent to me and it appeared from the pictures to have a light gold ano chassis and nose, but when it arrived it was very easy to see it was not near as light as the very early edingers. In fact it was just like a bunch of "lighter" Cadillacs I have vs the darker ones which I have one or two as well.
Notice even the shocks are a darker color as well and match the chassis tone in the 5th photo from the top and they all look a lot darker than the early light gold ano.
Still you have got a great car here.

billetproofcustoms
Approved Member

Thanks to everyone for the help!

I think Im just gonna call it a great base for another custom RC10.. :mrgreen: or maybe call it an Edillacinger!!??

I'm actually going to use the other chassis without the extra holes, maybe use this one for a runner...we'll see.

anyway, thanks for all the help guys :D

billetproofcustoms
Approved Member

Thank you!

slotcarrod wrote:Cadillac.ack.ack.ack.ack....You oughta know by now!...... Ok that is my sad Billy Joel, Movin Out line! :roll: :mrgreen:

Nice cars btw!

allaircooled
Approved Member

Post by allaircooled »

For me the RC10 in its' purest form is what I love the most but that was because I used to race these back in the 80's with the stock wiper speed control, charged my batteries initially using the stock resistance wire system for charging...
I always wondered if anyone used that charger that came in the box. :wink: