Brushless JRXT

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

KV78
Approved Member

Brushless JRXT

Post by KV78 »

I have been out of the RC world for many years. The brushless systems are all new to me. I have to JRXT's. I want to put a brushless system on them that is roar legal. Novak has so many different combos to choose from. Help me please. Thank, Kenneth

sgirouard
Approved Member

Re: Brushless JRXT

Post by sgirouard »

I have an old JRX2 with some mods to take advantage of some of the more modern advances. The biggest issue is to get your hands on a slipper clutch. There's a thread in here about it. Also I'm just posting some pics of my JRX2 that I run 2S with a 3900KV brushless motor in.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Are you planning on running ROAR Sportsman Stock, ROAR Stock, or Modified?

Sportsman Stock requires a speedo with zero timing advance and 17.5 motor
Stock allows timing advance and 17.5 motor
Modified allows you to pretty much run what you brung, not sure about sensorless systems to be honest & if they are ROAR legal (if you go Novak, dont worry about that though)

Most (if not all) speedos that have timing advance also have a zero timing feature, so they can be used to run both stock classes and I dont think I have seen many brushless speedos that cannot run the lower turn modified motors as well (think back to early years, brushed speedos could be very picky about the number of turns a motor was, with brushless, pretty much out the window unless you want stupid crazy fast like a 3.5 turn or 2.5 turn).
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

JK Racing wrote:Are you planning on running ROAR Sportsman Stock, ROAR Stock, or Modified?

Sportsman Stock requires a speedo with zero timing advance and 17.5 motor
Stock allows timing advance and 17.5 motor
Modified allows you to pretty much run what you brung, not sure about sensorless systems to be honest & if they are ROAR legal (if you go Novak, dont worry about that though)

Most (if not all) speedos that have timing advance also have a zero timing feature, so they can be used to run both stock classes and I dont think I have seen many brushless speedos that cannot run the lower turn modified motors as well (think back to early years, brushed speedos could be very picky about the number of turns a motor was, with brushless, pretty much out the window unless you want stupid crazy fast like a 3.5 turn or 2.5 turn).
There are also 13.5 "stock" classes. I can't find hte rules for it on roar/s website, but several tracks are running this class. We just had a large roar approved race and that ws a class, and we have another race coming up snd that is again a stock class. I dont know what the rules are for it though.

KV78
Approved Member

Post by KV78 »

Thanks for all the input. What do yall think ablout this combo and what class would I br allowed to run with it?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXWH6&P=7

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Modified only...that combo is very awesome (speedo is ROAR, not sure on the motor). I used to run it in my 4wd buggy. I ran it in my short course truck for about a minute, then ended up selling it in my 4wd buggy (I needed money for the stock 17.5 class).

ROAR considers a 13.5 as modified now, some local tracks still use 13.5 as a "super stock" or "expert stock" class, but with most the timing advance speedos available (the Mamba Max Pro you have shown is one of them), 13.5 has gone away. A properly boosted and geared 17.5 is almost as fast as the modified classes (club racing, big events you can still see a difference).

Do you have a slipper set up on your JRXT? I personally recommend it with a powerful system such as the one you linked to.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

KV78
Approved Member

Post by KV78 »

Yes I do have a slipper on it. I have 2 JRXT's and the one with the slipper I have had since I was about 13. But after all these years pretty much just the chassis and shock toweres are original. lol I never got up the nurve to race it when I was a kid so now I figure what the heck. Do you think it will be rediculous to run it againts these new xxxt's and rc10t4's? Im sure i will get a few giggles.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

5 link or A arm rear end?

I raced an LXT recently, didnt do bad at all (considering my skill level). My buddy races his 10T too, same boat, not bad at all. BUT, both of these are more "modern" with long suspension arms like current stadium trucks. The JRXT may be at a distinct disadvantage with the buggy arms.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

KV78
Approved Member

Post by KV78 »

It has the 5 link but I have RPM extra wide on the front and the back. I havent ran it like this yet. Im thinking that maybe I should get a stock class combo just to start out. If you were going to buy a stock class combo can you send me the link of the one you would get?

I plan on posting some pics of these trucks sometime this week.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I've heard great things about the Tekin stuff, but they are pricey. I have been a Novak man most my racing life, but have dabbled with the Castle Mamba speedos. A good all around speedo (Castle Mamba Max Pro), and your choice of any Sensored 17.5 would be a great starting point.

Here are some links from Stormer (have great prices on the motor):

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=ns&pn=CSE010-0066-00

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=ns&pn=TEP1053

But take your pick of where you want to purchase from. LHS are great too, most have same/similar pricing, and you dont have to pay shipping.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

JK Racing wrote:5 link or A arm rear end?

I raced an LXT recently, didnt do bad at all (considering my skill level). My buddy races his 10T too, same boat, not bad at all. BUT, both of these are more "modern" with long suspension arms like current stadium trucks. The JRXT may be at a distinct disadvantage with the buggy arms.
If set up properly with the modern rubber and Losi H arm rear arms, this truck WILL handle.