Farewll to a favourite, on to a better life as a shelfer.

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Farewll to a favourite, on to a better life as a shelfer.

Post by RETRO R/C »

I rebuilt this XLS CAT last year for the Vintage festival here in Australia. Spent a tonne of time employing all the old build tricks, getting the transmission right and getting everything square in the suspension department. I havent got any build pics - but I do have the end result. The pics start off at the festival before the meeting started, then onto the racing - we dont stop because of inclement weather here!! ;) Then some pics taken today on my i-phone during the rebuild/cleaning. Please excuse the indoor iphone pics - they are not that great - but you get the idea.

I have "mixed emotions" at the moment. Perhaps it may be sellers remorse, I havent sent her off to her new home yet - but damn she cleaned up good. Such a special car the XLS, really loved them back then and still today. This one drove really well, if not a little twitchy.....then again most cars would with a 10.5 brushless li-po combo with boost timing!! :lol: :lol:

She is going to a good home, where it will spend its life as a shelf queen. I changed the chassis to a near perfect one and replaced a couple of parts here and there - cause it needs to look purrrrrrdy for the shelf! Just nice to know it will be appreciated.

I have a few more that I can rebuild sometime down the track - but this will always hold a special memory as it was my first drive of one after 20 years. Anyways - just wanted to post it up here so I could share it with the world so to speak..........I am sure some of you have experienced the sellers remorse thing as well? :cry:

Thanks for looking guys.

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Farewll to a favourite, on to a better life as a shelfer

Post by Lonestar »

ooooh pretty, even with that tiny bit of corrosion on the 'buckles ;)

Next time you have cars like these you want to sell Darryn, I would appreciate if you could tell me first so I can help you make space in your stud farm!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Actually - its not corrosion!! It is actually copper tubing, braised to the threaded rod for turnbuckles!! Cool old school mod done by the previous owner. It adds a cerrtain "pattina" doesnt it! :)

No problem mate, I will add you to the list, this one was a special request though! I am actually gearing up to be selling off a number of cars and loads of parts at the end of the year - as I am am finally getting to all my projects that I have stashing parts away for! I reckon there will be some VERY happy 834 Yokomo owners out there at the end of the year when I finish building them and sell off what I dont want/need.

I still have about 8 ot 9 cats from SWB to Boss - so plenty to keep me busy!! ;)

Cheers

Darryn
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

That is one sweet car... yes, I would be sad to see it go too :(

I've vowed never to sell my racer...

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48668&referrerid=7282

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

I was actually looking at your thread last week - very very nice build mate.

I will probably do something similar to what you have done as well, with a number of differences. I actually have one of those shells as well - its well funky - and deserves to be on something special.

Cheers for you comment! :)

Darryn

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Thanks, my aim is to get it racing well so I can keep up at club level.

Let me know your ideas, it's so interesting to see what people come up with.

The shell is a repro of the original Procat shell from Team Bluegroove. The funky design is by Jon at RCS Graphic Worx. I'm actually selling one of my old Parma shells http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21014

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

I would make one suggestion if I could be so bold!! :D

DONT do a centreline battery!! The C.A.T already changes direction and is twitchy in its handling. The battery down the centreline will actually accentuate this issue and make the car harder to drive - especially in low grip conditions. Just thought I would throw that out there to you - cause it is a lot of effort for what most likely will be a difficult to accept result.

That being said - your standard of work is excellent and part of me wants to see you do just because I think it will look brilliant!!

I actually ran the CAT XLS above with a saddle pack - but in a "brick" formation in the end. I ran it slightly off centre - the opposite side to the motor getting a little more weight. This centraliased alot of the weight. I also placed the battery as far back as I could to ensure better rear grip. The car still changed direction very quickly, but felt a little better "ön throttle" when pushed - it was a little more predictable.

Good luck with however you decide to go mate.

Cheers

Darryn

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Cheers Darryn, Jeff said the same too. I'm happy to go with what more experienced racers advise :D I'm quite good at builiding them and doing modifications but need to improve my driving.

I want to get some urethane belts for the rear but I don't know the pitch. I don't mean the old MXL pitch for the original Cat but the rounded tooth "high torque" belts that were realeased for the Procat. I know Wasp did some orange rear belts, whihch are very rare.

schuey

Post by schuey »

:) Nice shuey Darryn im sure it will be much loved in its new home north of the border
Cheers mate :wink:

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

I don't know much about Schumacher's unless their name is Michael or Ralf but this is the best looking "other" Schumacher I think I've ever seen.
Maybe it's the paintjob on the body because it just flat out smoking works :!: Great job and car Darryn.

This is all very interesting!

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Thanks very much guys,

Although - with your avatar - I am not sure if I should take your comment as a compliment!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is leaving for its new home, tomorrow hopefully.

I have already started planning its replacement, with more tricky parts and a few ideas I have had. :wink:

Cheers guys, I am sure the new owner will be more than happy.

Darryn

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Nice pics of the XLS vs the Optima Mid. That takes me back to the good old days of racing when there weren't all of these horrible handling truggy things running around with no talent at the controls. Those were the best days in RC. It's nice to see you've had a chance to experience it again. It will never be that good again. I need to find a vintage race nearby.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

If you lived in the state of NSW, Australia - you would get at least two or three fully orgainised vintage only meetings a year!! :)

Another good reason to live downunda!! (Like we needed any more!!) :)

Cheers

Darryn

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

A vintage race for me is drag racing against a friend's RC10 in the street. Boring!
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store