10L SS & brushless motor - can it be done?

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bencason

10L SS & brushless motor - can it be done?

Post by bencason »

I just got back into RC after about 20 years away. I have a a graphite 10L SS [about 200mm] from way back that I would like to use to try out WGT at the LHS. If I like it, I'll buy a modern technology car. If not, I am not out too much time or money.

The 10LSS pod seems to be too small for a BL motor. Has anyone made a BL motor fit? How much effort was it if you succeeded?

I also have a fiberglas 10L [235mm]. I was considering swapping the pod from it but I suspect that will just give me a car with 200mm width in front and 235mm in back.

bencason

Re: 10L SS & brushless motor - can it be done?

Post by bencason »

I borrowed a brushless motor from a friend and I can get it to fit into the pod, without removing any part of the pod, when the sensor wire is not connected. Since the 10L SS has a thick, solid plastic part on the side opposite the motor mount, I can probably make a hole in it for the sensor wire without weakening it . if I could find a replacement for that side piece that had the holes in the right spot to allow it to mount and was thinner or cut down to only an axle mount, that would be great. I am going to investigate some of the current companies to see what I can find out.

I also tried the brushless motor on my 12L and the pod on it is even tighter. I can't remember how I got a brushed motor into back in the day. I'll bet I had to take the top piece of the pod off everytime I needed to take the motor out.

As a last resort, I may ask the other guys who race WGT at my local track if they would let me run a 235mm car for a couple of races to see if I enjoy the class. There are only 3 or 4 people involved so agreement may be possible.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

GPM made a one-piece alloy rear pod for the RC10L and RC10LSS. IIRC, there's a seller on Ebay who still has them.

The left plate was also made as a separate alloy piece; I have one on a HPI RS-10G (RS-10G uses the same right and left pod plates as the RC10L(SS))

bencason

Post by bencason »

Thanks, I will check out Ebay to see what I can find.

I was reminded by another old timer [presumably] that the left pod bulkhead, which is a substantial piece of plastic, could be lightened a great deal, without weakening the bulkhead, by cutting out the very area that I need to remove to allow the sensor cable to attach to the BL motor. I had forgotten that people used to do that. I will consider that avenue also.

bencason

Post by bencason »

After digging through my old pan car parts & left-overs, I found that my fiberglass 10L [235mm] had the left bulkhead already cut out. I swapped that bulk head with the stock one on the 10L SS and assembled a quick & dirty rear end out of a spare axle, diff parts and worn wheels. A quick check with a ruler shows I am right on 200mm in the back now and a BL motor with cable will fit fine. I am still in saving mode for a ESC/motor/tires so it will be a bit before I get it on the track. I may use some old electronics gear I have and a silver can motor just to try it out if the saving money part stretches out too long.

My question of the moment is about tires. I have some foam tires left from back when. Most have laid in a box in my basement [year-round temp. is about 55*F]. Some were in plastic bags, others exposed to the air.

Are these tires usable?
Or has the foam aged somehow to make them too fragile?

They feel "OK" to the touch but that doesn't mean they have any traction left or won't fly apart the first time I hit topend speed. Input from anyone who has had experience with old wheels/tires would be appreciated.

Ben

edit: wanted questions to stand out some & fixed a spelling error

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

The ones in plastic bags should be fine, especially if the bags are sealed. The others? Depends on how old and dried out they are. You should use traction compound anyway.

Of course, they'll still won't be as good as modern high-grip tires...

bencason

Post by bencason »

EvolutionRevolution wrote:The ones in plastic bags should be fine, especially if the bags are sealed. The others? Depends on how old and dried out they are. You should use traction compound anyway.

Of course, they'll still won't be as good as modern high-grip tires...
Thanks for the info.

I don't plan to use the old tires for anything except casual use while saving for the esc/motore/modern tires that I know I need. If the old tires are going to fall apart/chunk or separate from the rim in the first corner, I can just get modern tires first. I just thought it would be fun to try the old car out with old tech gear while saving but I don't want to spend a lot of time on a lost cause.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

what Turn of BL motor are you planning on using? Just curious is all.

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

vintage AE wrote:what Turn of BL motor are you planning on using? Just curious is all.
X2 . Alot of power in a lite car.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

With a 10.5 turns and a medium downforce body (and modern tires) these cars fly (90 km/h top speed). Some people in Germany have run Pro10 235 mm cars with 3.5 turns BL - faster than a 1:8 gas car. :shock: But you need a body with enough downforce and good tires (and a big track).

bencason

Post by bencason »

vintage AE wrote:what Turn of BL motor are you planning on using? Just curious is all.
I was planning on 1s, 13.5 BL with boost. There are a few racers trying to get a WGT class going at my LHS. They have 3-5 people running now and I hope to make it +1 more. I want to use my old 10L SS since it seems like a cheap way to try out the class.

I am a little worried since the racing at the LHS [an in-door asphalt track] pretty much goes dormant over the summer as off-road racing picks up. If that happens the class may not revive come the fall. That is another reason for going the cheap route to revive the 10L SS until I see the class take off locally.