Thoughts on a RC10 Hop Up Catalog/Thread?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

Thoughts on a RC10 Hop Up Catalog/Thread?

Post by mrlexan »

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO START THIS SUBJECT MATTER....

Just post your thoughts on if you think a hop up parts catalog/thread would be beneficial to the forum. If the consensus is yes, then I will make this thread go away and start a new one with some ground rules so it doesn't get filled with fodder?

Post your thoughts below.

If this goes somewhere, we might do the same for the Non-RC10 Vintage Section as well (one thing at a time).

Thanks!

Jay
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Re: Thoughts on a RC10 Hop Up Catalog/Thread?

Post by Asso_man! »

It will certainly be an interesting and unending one and you would need to classify/sort the parts (by brands?) in order for the members be able to find the easily? Just a very quick thought...

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

There are so many ways to modify and update these cars with parts from other cars that it would be a huge task. You could practically write a book solely dedicated to the different ways to use 2.2 rims from just buying rims from JC that are designed in that size to fit the old cars to the many iterations and combinations of a-arms, cvd's, and carriers from different cars that have been used to adapt the suspension to modern style rims from various cars. That of course would tie into all the different ways/combinations that can be used to change the suspension system which could get into track width differences vs wheel offset and so forth and so on. It would be a cool thing to have in print but it would be very long and probably constantly updated as people try different things.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

It's been on my mind for a while. It would take some thought to make sure it's properly executed for ease of finding info and reference for the user.

Note, this is intended and I should have mentioned "vintage parts" not "mods". I take your post as mods and agree that's a HUGE task.
www.gojammedia.com

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Nah, we should definitely stick to "official" hop-ups dedicated to the RC10

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

lotta work.......

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

you need something to get you to 20,000 posts
www.gojammedia.com

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

If you wanted to do a vintage mod book then it should be limited to the parts and techniques of the day. If that were the case then it could even be said that the rpm world's front end shouldn't be considered but rather everything before then. Basically 1985 to about 1990 or so. This would include graphite and fiberglass chassis options such as the standard, standard with saddle pack, narrow, and wide front end graphite chassis from Composite Craft and the fiberglass from the Hot Trick. It could include the wide front arms from Andy's and the Team Losi metal bellcranks. You could include the different trailing arm kits. For gearboxes you had the stock 6 gear, a metal gear upgrade for it, chain drives, belt drives, direct drives and from a couple of different companies in each area. A book showing all of the true aftermarket vintage mods wouldn't be all that bad. I've named the biggest mods of the day but serveral more things still come to mind.

To get into the more modern upgrades and retrofits makes this list look simple but a vintage mod book wouldn't be all that bad. You could do almost do a volume series on modifying the RC10 starting with stock settings to vintage mods and then continuing in later volumes with adaptations and retrofits to today. I think the best way to do it is to just pick a topic and start writing on it being as thorough as possible then add to it as you go. Just think about overall content and do it in a way that adding successive things later won't be redundant. The best book for those interested in current technology would be how to get the most from your old RC10 which would detail the current adaptations to the old car but from a performance standpoint. You just aren't going to convince me that while many combinations may physically fit that they will all handle equally well. One has to be better than the others. Which one though?

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I still think you are missing my point (I'm prob not explaining it correctly.... but I think David knows what I mean).

I was thinking something like the below, make it a form limited the below alone that the forum members copy and paste then fill out. No discussion, just simple posts with the below.

Manufacturer:
Part Description:
Part Number:
Year (approx if not known):
Notes/Comments (keep it short):

! < insert pic of the part here > !

The other alternative would be to set up a "Vintage Hop Up Parts" (new forum section) and divide it up into manufacturers as specific thread, again using the above form/template. There we could always add a thread specific to discussion.

Whatever we decide (if any), I will likely start in the Mods forum, then move it later, that way we can set the standard for members to follow.
www.gojammedia.com

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I like it, but agree it will be alot of work. Nice thing will be the community of guys here working together, it might not be that bad.

I was thinking you meant actual catalog and list scans. which would also be cool, and possibly make the work easier. for instance, I would love to see an rpm catalog before they started obsoleting stuff....

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

That format sounds pretty similar to the "What's old is new" thread in Temple's forum. It is simple though and with part numbers would make duplication for others easy. I'd like to get some member feedback in the performance upgrade of their setups compared to stock as well but I guess that's what the comments section is for.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

it would be for anything that was offered as an aftermarket hop-up for the rc10 while it was in production 1985-1994. period.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

scr8p wrote:it would be for anything that was offered as an aftermarket hop-up for the rc10 while it was in production 1985-1994. period.
No disrepect meant, but he's not getting what I am saying. I agree with you Jason..... VINTAGE PARTS REFERENCE (catalog, whatever you want to call it) only. No setups or mods or whatever.
www.gojammedia.com

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

I know what you are saying and it is a great idea. Now do you consider wheels & tires a Hop up (that could get ugly :lol: )

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

I think Mrlexan wants to build something like clodparts.com, but for the rc10

we know he doesn't want to actually build an RC10. :mrgreen: