My 10T SC conversion

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

cautrell05
Approved Member

My 10T SC conversion

Post by cautrell05 »

I had started a build thread over on rctech a week or so ago and just found this site. Thought I would share it with you all.
I was looking at getting back into RC and wanted to go short course. I was looking at either the sc10 or the blitz and happened to remember my 20 year old one owner 10T sitting in the closet. Decided that it would be more fun to convert it than just buy one. Im weird like that. Over the years it had received a mid motor conversion(worked out well) and a set of t3 front arms(not so much).
This is what I started with.

The mid motor worked out well and made it feel more stable over the rough sections. I took it to the track once with the t3 front end it worked ok but it just looks heavy and weak so it got scrapped.

Wheels and tires were the easy part. I got a set of new sc10 tires and wheels from ebay along with a body and a set of t4 rear axles and dogbones. The front wheels were a direct fit. No fuss, no headache. The rears were a little more work. The axles came with a set of t4 hub carriers and they kinda fit but not right. they were a 3mm pin instead of 1/8 inch and I could have easily reamed them out but they also pulled the rear axles out just far enough on each side that the bones came out on full extension. Easy enough. Just swap the rear bearings, spacer and axle from the t4 carrier to the original 10t carrier.

The dogbones have plenty of room at full compression and at extension.

The new front end is next. I started with an RPM arm and bulkhead set for the sc10. Reason being they are current and available. and being RPM I dont expect to break them any time soon. The stock 10T caster blocks and knuckles will work with a little work and I can use the original hard coated shocks, after a full rebuild.
The wheelbase was 11.5 to start with. adding 2 1/2 inches was fairly easy with the noseplate being separate from the main chassis. That put it at 12.875". Several friends of mine are in the fab/ welding buisness but all they had was the softer grade aluminum in 1/8 or .080. nobody had any 6061 so I had to go with the multilayer approach. I had a partial sheet of .035 6061 that I had used for my full size stock car. 3 layers of that came in at .105 and should be strong enough for the nose plate without being too overkill.

Heres the new nose plate with the old one for comparison. The tabs on the side were going to be where the top plate tied in to the sides. Havent decided if its needed or not.

The RPM SC10 bulkhead and front arms were designed for 3mm hinge pins. That caused a couple minor issues. First I didnt have any and second the caster blocks used 1/8 inch pins. Found out that stock 10T front inner pins and rear outer 10T pins are the perfect length after a little reaming. The RPM SC10 front bumper and chassis brace were real helpfull in locating the holes for the front bulkhead. I was able to drill two holes for the steering and I had a good solid pattern to transfer to the aluminum.

Little more metal work and I had the new front shock tower. Where the original 10T came up short in adjustability, this one gives me plenty of options for shock height and angle as well as upper link locations. The other nice thing is that with the shocks unhooked from way excessive droop to way to much compression there is almost no bump steer. Pretty darn good for a first try.

Its kinda hard to see in that pic but the steering servo is just about in the middle of the chassis. that combined with the mid motor and a saddle pack lipo should put all the heavy components in one central lump for lack of better terms. It will be interesting to see where it scales out when its finished. Shocks and tranny parts are on their way so they can get freshened up and a little more tin work and it should be pretty close.

Ill try to keep you all updated.

Nick

SteveK
Approved Member

Re: My 10T SC conversion

Post by SteveK »

Looks like a great start. The SC10 has the battery mounted all the way forward, right behind the steering servo, so you may want to move the servo up in relation to the bellcranks.

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

True, the SC10 has the servo stuffed way up front but it also has the motor hanging off of the back as a counterweight. The plan here is to keep all the heavy components packed together for stability but back far enough to get the rear weight. Gut feeling says It will work out. Ill know when it gets closer to finished.

Nick

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

Short update. been busy with family stuff so im not as far as I would like to be but I am making progress.
I got the upper deck for the front mostly finished. Single layer of .035 6061 made the front go from fairly stiff to solid as a brick. I still need to make a little more clearance for the pushrod going up to the steering. Also need to make a new front shock tower. It just didnt turn out quite like I wanted and Im too picky of my own work.

Also decided that the side tabs for the top plate are not needed. Its solid enough now that anything more would just be overkill. Couple more small things and the front will be done. Hopefully I will get something accomplished this weekend.

Nick

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

So far Im pretty happy how everything is coming together. Spent some time tonight and got a start for the rear shock tower. I really dont know how this thing worked with the way it was put together but it was 10 years ago so Il just go with its not my fault, I dont remember. The rear shock tower was held on to the bulkhead with two screws and there was no brace from the bulkhead to the trans. it had way too much down travel and with the shocks bottomed out the chassis was still over 1/2 inch from the table. new version has the shocks placed properly for up and down travel as well as simple adjustability for down travel.

Keep in mind that it was 10:30 when I cut it out so I could only rough cut it. ill take it to work tomorrow and clean up the edges. The extra mounting holes let me raise or lower the tower 5 mm if I want. It was easier to drill those holes straight than all the extra ones up top.

Also got the last of the front end parts made.

That brace makes sure that the front wont bend when the bumper gets tested.
And for anyone wondering, the whole truck will get blown apart one last time to clean up edges and corners so it doesent look so much like a hand built homemade conversion. A lot of the hardware will get replaced also. It is just easier to put it together with the plain steel nuts when it will probably be apart 5 or 10 times before it hits the track.

Nick

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

Few more updates. stripped the rear of the chassis down to straighten out some kinks that had developed. Can you say swiss cheese? No wonder it bent.

also got a rough start on the rear bumper. Its an RPM bumper for a 4wd slash. Got the idea from one of the rc mags where they made a gas powered version. The upper mount fits the two existing holes on the rear bulkhead with a little help and the lower will simply bolt down the the pan. Still need to cut the hole through the shock tower and fit it all together but it is progress at least.

One of the other things im messing with is what I consider a design flaw from the factory. In the original version the rear dogbones and rear arms are not parallel. The inner end is higher than the arm and gets lower out at the hub. This makes the distance between the differential outdrive and the hub get smaller when compressed and longer when extended. Thats why sometimes the dogbones fall out when there is too much down travel. My previous solution was to just space the inner mounts up 1/8 inch with washers. It worked and got it to where it stayed pretty consistent through travel. I had always wished that the hubs were taller between the axle and the lower hingepin. My tc3 has the exact shape and offset hub needed but the hingepins are smaller and I doubt they would hold up to the abuse. Then I noticed the slash rear hubs. They were exactly what I was looking for. I ordered a set of stock traxxas ones from tower with the rest of the parts I orderd. Figured if they didnt work I was out less than three bucks. First off I was pleasantly supprised to find they used 1/8 inch hingepins. hub carrier fits in very nicley. A small shin to take up the slop and it will be fine. The upper link is in farther than the 10T carrier though and it makes the upper link kinda short. If I decide to go this route I will go with the protrac hubs. They have 6 upper holes vs the single stock one. The axles are metric so a are the blitz. Blitx axles, metric bearings and the protrac hubs and I should be set. The only thing not certain is if the dogbones are the same between the HPI and the AE.
Incase anybody is lost here is a visual of what Im talking about. On the left is the slash hub and the right is the stock. notice the difference in dogbone angle. The left side is what im after.

Thats all I have for now.

Nick

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

Got the rear tower done and the body mounted.

For now it has the sc10 rear stock body mounts but I might have to look into something else. I could go down another 1/2 inch in back and clear the shock tower then. That would get the rear arms and bones at decent angles. with it mounted as low as the current mounts will let me the chassis is sitting really low.

Im still not sold 100% on the front body mount. It would probably be ok but I had to grind off half of the reinforcement to get it to sit flush with the shock tower. Still need to make a new shock tower for the front too.

Thats how it sits now. as you can see the chassis is sitting pretty low. Roof height is 7 3/4.

Nick

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

Did get quite a bit of the small stuff done this week. Its the little details that take forever. Redid the front shock tower. The old one was a practice one and it was needed. It looked like hell. Second attempt looks much better. Heck the holes are even straight.

Finally made a rear tower brace. Took longer than I wanted for no more than it is but it works and looks somewhat decent at least. Not that it matters that much but the stock plastic brace weighs 4 grams, the carbon and the aluminum one are both 3.

Couple of ebay scores. Bought a t4 motor plate and gear cover for 4.52 shipped. Previously I had no gear cover that would fit due to the plate being reversed. The motor plate wont bolt on without drilling and taping all 4 holes. I might go that route after everything else is done and running but for now I just used the old plate.

Also was looking for turnbuckes. At some point I broke one of the front ones and originally was looking for a pair. Came across these and had to. For $33 it aint too bad.

I also picked up a full set of ballstuds with the foam rings for $6 shipped.Most of them on the truck now are 20 years old and some are wore .010 to .015 under what they are new. Even with new rod ends there was way too much slop.Plus added weight bonus. All the original studs are stainless. The new ones are aluminum. The way its looking it should be around 76 ounces finished. I can deal with a couple ounces over if its balanced right. Track meeting is sunday so ill find out what the motor rules are for this year and get something ordered next week. Almost to the point of painting the body. Not really looking forward to that part.
Nick

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

Small update. The rear bumper is finally mounted. The slash 4wd rear bumper fits pretty good. bottom mount was a simple matter of drilling two more holes in the pan and bolting it down. The upper mounts were made from some plastic blocks that I had laying around. Not sure what kind they are but I think they will work pretty good.

The two upper tubes from the trans forward are needed to keep the chassis from bending after the sides were cut down. The old ones were 4-40 threaded rod inside of 3/16 steel tube. They worked fine but weighed 3/4 ounce each. Version 2 is waiting on parts but will be 5/32 aluminum tube over top of 1/8 carbon rods. each one will be right at 1/4 ouch each.
My esc is supposed to be in today but all the rest of the stuff I am waiting on wont be here till monday. Good excuse to work on all the little stuff I have been putting off.

Nick

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

I am liking this. very nice work. :mrgreen:

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

Thanks. Should be able to start putting it together this week. Only fab work left is hold downs for the batteries and servo mounts.

Nick

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Great build!!

Don't forget some nice nerf bars on the side.

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

Sundays update. batteries are pretty much mounted. I have some foam to put down on the chassis yet but other than that they are done. Same unknown plastic blocks were used for the mounts. Wish they were a different color but you cant have everything.

esc fits nicely right in the center. I will probably run the fan that came with it and maybe an air scoop to direct air between the batteries to keep temps in line.
The last of the parts come in tomorrow so depending on how the week goes it could be back together by next weekend.
By the way if anyone wants to recomend a starting point for shocks, pistons and springs id be glad to hear it.

Still not sure what to run for nerf bars. That one is still up in the air.
Nick

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

Sorted through the parts and started with the back. new ti turnbuckles(which are too long for the back??) bottomed out in the shortened cups to get camber set, new ball studs and Ti hingepins. The slash protrac hubs will work out just like I wanted but it took a bit of work to get it together.
The axles are from a blitz, carriers and bearings for a slash, cone spacer from a t4 and modified bearing spacers from a blitz.
The hole in the spacer was opened up .010" to fit over the 5mm shaft. Holes in the rear wheels were opened up the same amount. I didnt see a bearing spacer listed with the slash hubs so I used some HPI spacers between the bearings. one spacer wasnt enough and 2 was too wide. You know how much of a pain it is making a .060 thick spacer .030?
In the end it came together ok. 1:30 this morning that is. Plus the way it sits I can take the traxxas 12mm hubs and put them on without changing anything and run different wheels if I want to.

Also weighed the ballstuds and hingepins. The difference between the old studs and pins compared to the aluminum ones and Ti hingepins was 11g. Not alot but every bit helps.

The front end is together for the most part. need to set bump steer and put a couple of e-clips on then rebuild the shocks. I found out that one of the turnbuckles has the notch that shows what side is left hand thread is on the wrong side. Trying to set camber while watching tv and took a sec to figure out why the wheel was tipping out instead of in. Not a big deal. rest of it went together great. I went with the wide front GT axles which put the front tires at exactly 11.5 inches with 2 degrees negative camber.

I have to admit I really like the black and silver theme for the chassis. It wont make any difference on the track but it looks good any way. At least for now.
Also threw it on the scale tonight. with the body still untrimmed and a foot of wire on the esc it came in a 76.2 by the time I trim the wires and the body i will be sitting low enough where i am happy with the weight. I know there is lighter trucks out there but considering that its all aluminum except for the suspension arms and mounts i think thats pretty good. I will try to take some less cluttered pics this weekend.

Nick

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

wow, very impressive. just curious to why you went with the metal shock towers, as appose to cutting up a sheet of fiberglass?

i noticed your hydra-drive. you planning on mounting it as well?