Overseas shipping?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Overseas shipping?

Post by Lonestar »

In the past everyone shipped 1st class no questions asked... but afaik 1st class doesn't offer any tracking number... And when the buyer raises a paypal claim, the tracking number is one of the only things that can save the seller from refunding the buyer if the buyers claims that he never got the package. I think that unfortunately a few malevolent buyers took advantage of the system and burnt a few honest sellers, saying they never received what they paid for. As usual, the whole community is now paying for a few rotten apples now that most everyone realized there's a risk and wants to sell priority mail only... and that's a shame as the only ones making money out of the context now are the bloody shippers.

So here's my honest buyer's plea to nice rc10talk sellers :) If the buyer has a good track record (ebay, this board, rctech, ...) please ship 1st class, that'll help everyone, you'll sell more stuff in the end... yes it requires a bit of trust but I think this is better in the long run :) I have never ever had ONE package lost from the US even shipped 1st class, I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's really really really rare... thank you :)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

one last thing - the thing that I also find really unfair is when there's sthing for sale for $50 on the board, including S&H to the US. I drop a PM to the seller telling I'll cover the extra S&H to ship to switzerland, to which the seller says "cost of shipping to your country is $17 - please paypal $67 to [email protected]".... :roll: Happens all the time... and that's just not right... Yes I understand I don't have to buy if I don't want to, but really...

All in all to finish on a positive note: thanks to all my US friends on rc10talk (and actually rctech in some cases) for all the smooth transactions in the past (buying and selling), in 99% of the cases people are nice, understanding adults. The other ones, well, you know who you are ;)

(off my soapbox now)

Paul

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

Just to add the UK thresholds for duties are $28 for a gift and $19 for anything other than a gift (at the current rate of exchange), any more than these values and it's an extra 20% duty and a further fixed $13 handling at this end :evil:

I too have traded many a time internationally east and west using various shipping methods and to this point not one item has ever gone missing.

From a pearsonal perspective I'm happy to pay for whichever shipping method the seller wants to use, I'm just pleased to get a chance to purchase the items I want or need :D
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I never understood why people just don't put $5.00 on the declared value (as long as it's a small box). Why put the actual value or something high? I guess you could answer that as being honest and good karma, but if I can help you out by putting $5.00 I will and do.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

It has to do with the insurance. With CanadaPost, parcels are automatically insured to $100. But if you declared the value at $5, you'll only get $5 if the package gets lost. I usually get customs declaration request from buyers in EU, I just make them aware of the repercussions. In the end, it's all about trust. That's where feedback is really useful.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

mrlexan wrote:I never understood why people just don't put $5.00 on the declared value (as long as it's a small box). Why put the actual value or something high? I guess you could answer that as being honest and good karma, but if I can help you out by putting $5.00 I will and do.
Jay, will you marry me?

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Lonestar wrote:
mrlexan wrote:I never understood why people just don't put $5.00 on the declared value (as long as it's a small box). Why put the actual value or something high? I guess you could answer that as being honest and good karma, but if I can help you out by putting $5.00 I will and do.
Jay, will you marry me?
Sorry Bud! I am happily married to Mrs. Heither Schultz. This will be our 10 year anv..... known her since 1988.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com