Mid ultima 20 years ago?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Mid ultima 20 years ago?

Post by crusaderlyf »

found a ultima it is have 20 years history and placed in a stock room keep very well, the chassis and radio plate have been molded and the car may be call mid ultima,that must be a good idea at that time,I don't know it that before of after the tekin mid RC10's idea.here some pics for the chassis,the car come from a salute shell later I will post the detail.
01.JPG
02.JPG
Attachments
03.JPG

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Re: Mid ultima 20 years ago?

Post by Jay Dub »

Was it kept in a seafood packing plant? Because something smells fishy. The turnbuckles are FT blue AE units (definately not 20 years old) and the back of the tray looks to be cut off, not molded. Wing mounts look to be more recent than 20 years as well. I'm calling it. -Jeff

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

Ha ha! I did the same thing with my red shock Ultima too! That fiberglass upper plate was pretty easy to hack, even for a 14 y/o with hand tools.

I knew so little about electric motors at the time that I just reversed the leads and ran it reverse rotation ... I didn't know much about timing at the time, I guess.

I didn't think to use the turnbuckle to stiffen up the chassis, that is a pretty good idea.

Although the blue AE-sourced turnbuckles are a little suspicious, the car is definitely old enough that it may have been rehab-ed at some point in the last 20 years, so perhaps a prior owner replaced some missing turnbuckles with a contemporary pair.

Other than the parts that have clearly been modified with a hacksaw, the other parts seem pretty well preserved ...

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

Gnarly rear bumper, too!

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Cool. 8) I have extra Ultima parts lying around, and with all the hype of mid motor cars last couple of years - (X6, Atomic S2 and CR2) have thought about building a mid-ultima. Although, I think that the XL chassis would definitely be a good thing. I think that the SWB and Mid motor might be a handful - but who knows? Maybe tight indoor track it would do well. :wink:

I'd also try to stiffen up the rear with another turnbuckle to the other side of the tranny or something. Just a thought. :D

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I like the box tubing for the rear hinge pin mount.

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

Jay Dub wrote:Was it kept in a seafood packing plant? Because something smells fishy. The turnbuckles are FT blue AE units (definately not 20 years old) and the back of the tray looks to be cut off, not molded. Wing mounts look to be more recent than 20 years as well. I'm calling it. -Jeff
Yes, turnbuckles are AE I have replaced,so as the wing mount too

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

this is the original wing mount ,may be made by yokomo.
kyosho wing post.JPG

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Joel Johnson made a mid motered ultima also. But sofar I've only seen 1 picture of it and that just showed a small detailed area of a custom made alu part.

On Yahoo auctions Japan I once found a very well done ultima gen1, complete with the original cage and body. The rear drivetrain and suspension came from an optima mid. It looked so well I still have that on my whishlist for future projects.
If I could find a good way to mount a proper slipper on the otima mid spur it would go up in priority for sure

Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Back in the days a mate of mine did a mid motor conversion to a Ultima Pro. We didn't recognize any improvement towards the stock Ultima and so went back to the original state soon. Nice find though.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Off topic, but I am curious: Nobby, do you have more pics of the Rough Rider in your sig?

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

I KNOW why you like that SRB :mrgreen: Looks familiar to ya huh?

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

yep, that theme looks pretty colse to the yahama theme Brandon sports on some of his cars.

I did a mid-moterconversion on a JR-X2 years ago. I can't compare for and aft though as I converted it at the same time to a SWB 190mm tourer.
A JR-X2 is sooo easy to convert to mid-moter without having to reverse the moter rotation :mrgreen:

Nobby

Post by Nobby »

@ Brandon G: It's a Buggy Champ, you can find more pics here:
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=91641&id=26031

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Nobby wrote:Back in the days a mate of mine did a mid motor conversion to a Ultima Pro. We didn't recognize any improvement towards the stock Ultima and so went back to the original state soon. Nice find though.
Did your mate make the necesaary modifications to get the anti-squat and toe-in angles correct again? From Crusaders pictures it's hard to tell, but it looks like there's 0° toe-in or even negative, and his anti-squat doesn't look like it can be right either.