1974 Datsun 260z project (updated 9/17!)

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

1974 Datsun 260z project (updated 9/17!)

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

last week i sold my '71 240z shell, with the money i managed to pick up this '74 datsun 260z. It has a '76 280z motor the n42 block/n42 head which i heard is a high compression motor with flat top pistons so says my friend who is helping me with it. it has a lot of little gremlins, sometimes the headlights work sometimes they dont. It doesnt have brakes right now but i just downshift and give myself a lot of room to slow down and do a U turn and it stops (on this really vacant street behind my house). :mrgreen:

needs a new hood and front grill, the guy actually hit the wall by his driveway when he showed it to me. i think he did it on purpose like a joke. it looks like he did it for everyone who came to see the car! he really thought it was like the funniest thing, i couldnt help but crack up at the idea of crashing a car right before you sell it i thought it was funny as hell. im gonna do that when i sell a car too :lol: the guy i got it from had 5 first gen mustang one was a fast back and a ford fairlane. he said he once had 19 mustangs. :shock:

video of it arriving:
[youtube]qTb4EFkbRp8[/youtube]

right away "the guy who helps me with my car" asked me to trade him wheels cuz he likes the taller tire. i found out my rims are a lot more rare than his and didn't trade but he is going to "borrow them" till i get it registered.
finally i get to shift my own gears again! a mess of wires.
it echos inside when i close the door, very eerie kind of like the end of "two lane blacktop".
my rusty headers, has msd ignition, msd wires, electric distributor, electric fuel pump, electric fan (im switching back to regular), dual carbs need airfilters
i already took off this rear bumper and it makes the rear look alot better. check out my left rear brakes leaking like crazy

some progress!
6/27 new hood and cowl

big Z weekend!
7/8 replaced balance tube in previous pic with this neater cleaner non-egr balance tube from a 240z. added rare N36 high flow intake manifolds, even got a spare set to sell (available 1974 only). rebuilt carbs from Carb Exchange, whack filters.
7/9 added a clutch fan on my waterpump pulley to help cooling.
didnt like the sound it made, all i could hear was "wooshing air" when i revved my motor.
7/10 went back to the junkyard and got the fan shroud hoping it would cut down on the fan noise. it didnt. said Forget that ill roll with an electric fan, i just gotta add a switch so i can hit the 2nd speed on my 2 speed fan!

7/16 cleaned my wheels and tires! (ahh the little things)
7/17 new head light bucket to replace a dented one. had to actually bend a piece of the body panel back into shape to get it to sit flush. about 45 minutes with 2 different sized C clamps, breaker bar, and needle nose pliers. i should took pics

7/25
wish i took video of this. i put marvel mystery oil in each spark plug hole and let it sit for a couple hours. i cranked the motor with the ignition wire off to circulate the oil, then put more in each spark plug hole. waited about 6 hours total and fired it up... ALL kinds of thick white smoke poured out of the exhaust! i was not expecting that, it was insane! it was like a smoke show. i shut it off after about 3 minutes cuz i was worried it might go into some neighbors windows and it was smokey all on their lawns already. so cool! when i have some money i will borrow the compression tester from the auto shop (40 dollar deposit) and see if it improved my compression. im hoping it was sticky rings. now my freshly changed oil is all grey and nasty! i have to change it again, and i only had like 45 minutes of "idling time" on the oil, zero miles and it is filthy. the marvel mystery oil really freed up all kinds of junk. i will post the before and after #s if its anything interesting. i took the "before" #s when i had first got the car.

video of it running:
[youtube]rUj-3yA8B7k[/youtube]

7/29 summer school officially ended. i got one "B" one "A".
7/30
changed my oil today. it was black! i drove maybe 2 times around the block, and the rest is from idling in the garage an hour tops since i got it. here are my compression test numbers. i put marvel mystery oil in each spark plug hole and let it set for several hours, and i repeated it a couple times over the course of 2 weeks. the white smoke only came out the first time i did it. i dont know why the "wet" the first time around was so low and now it is so high. my engine sounds fine, and when i drove it before the marvel it seemed like it had some power. still has no brakes. do these numbers show a bad motor?

Compression Numbers:
before marvel...after marvel
dry/wet dry/wet
40/50 65/160
45/50 70/160
40/50 70/170
55/70 75/150
55/65 70/150
55/70 80/160

and look what i bought from my neighbor for 20 dollars. its broken, it doesn't turn on. ive been reading about why/how they fail and how to diagnose one, its a tough read and kind of long too! if i can fix it that would be awesome. but i may have wasted 20 dollars. its a beast!
22 gallon 5hp 6.5@40 5.1@90 150psi

7/31
i changed my rear drum brakes today. i tried rebuilding the wheel cylinders with a rebuild kit, but they were still leaking even after i took scotch brite to the cylinder bore. so i bought the wheel cylinder, pads, and hardware kit. looks good! hopefully this stops the leak. if all else fails at least the mechanical E-brake works! I'm thinking about getting new brake lines and hard lines.
i also had the tire shop fix two nails in my tire.
rear bumper delete, have to drop the exhaust and tank to get to the brackets

video of it running: E-brake in the house!
[youtube]hsIM3uGkCNY[/youtube]

8/1
long car day today! i went to two different junkyards today, it was hot! but i found the proper throttle linkage i need for my new balance tube between the two carbs. i tried to reuse the linkage from my previous balance tube but it was about 3 inches too short (i had to switch balance tubes for the video above). "the guy" who helps me with my car came over to use my jack and jack stands so he could rotate his tires. all in all, after him having to go back home to get his jack (mine wasn't low profile enough for the front), and positioning wood blocks so as not to damage his car, and trying every jack from all the cars at my house- it took about 4 hours! it was a real headache. but on the plus side i got to see his MSD-6A ignition box (he used up a whole spool of my 14 gauge wire installing it). He said he would show me how to hook up my tachometer (which is not working right now). while at junkyard #2 for the day, i found a car that would possibly have the 4.11 ratio diff i want. mine is a 3.36 right now. my friend has a 3.9. i think a 4.11 would help my launch (see video above) and make my car faster with the same amount of HP! and its the diff everyone wants. so we'll see tomorrow when i pop off the cover and count some teeth! :mrgreen:
240z owned by the "Z expert of Venice Beach" aka the guy who borrows tools and does not return them. :lol:

8/3 LVN orientation, i got my uniform and my picture taken.
In preparation of "50% off day" at the junkyard coming up this weekend, i took off my rear diff to make sure i would have all the right tools to do the same job in the junkyard. took me a lot longer than i thought. taking parts off of a car you care about is way different than ripping stuff out at the junkyard! Rear A-arms, exhaust, driveshaft came down. hopefully this 3.36 diff will not be going back in. switching to a 4.11 diff.

8/? i need some internal parts from my old diff, so that i can keep using my same axles...

Luckily i found some NGK spark plug wires at the junkyard for 50 cents per wire! new online they are 49.99

i did a trade with my friend for some K & N air filters... but i like the old ones better, the old ones look more unique.
K & N:
Longflo:

The new "K" r180 4.11 diffs i got at the Pick-A-Part for $29.99 each. there is a place online that sells them for $450.00 each.

removing the crown gear from my old diff. i hope to find a pin or circlip under it so i can remove 2 of the spider gears and put them in my new diff (these 2 gears i need have a threaded hole in them that my axles bolt into.
Image.

video: its a photobucket so you might want to open it in a new window.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/gammacrush/?action=view&current=P1080039.mp4

bearrickster
Approved Member

Re: my life size tamiya rally

Post by bearrickster »

Nice I had a 71 240Z with flaired fenders I loved that car, but my first wife got it :cry:
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

i had my '71 shell for like 5 years. but it is soooo great to actually drive the car. the 74 260z is very similar. i was able to buy this whole car with the money just from the 71 shell! this car has way more rust though, i broke 3 or 4 bolts taking off the bumper.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Looks like you're going to have to put some fairly serious work into it before it's road ready. Hope you're up for a project. :wink: :mrgreen:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

I had the same wheels on my 78 280z it was charcoal mettallic grey with black semi gloss or semi flat graphics gave it that musclecar look.I always wanted to put a smallblock in one lol.I got the hopped up block and heads just need a nice body lol.Don

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

I used to really like these cars until we bought this 76 2+@ for my daughter. The fuel injection system never would work right. Cool, fun car to drive though. Good luck with your project!
Attachments
1976 Datsun 280Z 2+2 016.jpg
1976 Datsun 280Z 2+2 005.jpg
Gary

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

THUNDERSTRIKE1 wrote:I always wanted to put a smallblock in one lol.I got the hopped up block and heads just need a nice body lol.Don
that is the trend these days, putting a SBC in a 240z/260z/280z. they even have a book that shows how to do it, and the person who wrote the book sells custom motor mounts to do the job. its really cool, they are all over youtube.

does anyone have a MSD 6AL that they added a 2 step launch controller/rev limiter? it reminds me of an LRP speed control, because you have to add "chips" to it. for example they have 3000-3800 rpm chips for the holeshot/launch rev limiter and 5000ish and up for the second rev limiter that takes over after launch. so cool!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

THUNDERSTRIKE1 wrote:I always wanted to put a smallblock in one
I don't believe they needed a small block. I had a 79 280z that would toast most of the small blocks around. Paid $250 for it way back when and ran the snot out of it. License plate was HLLBST or something like that. Would be doin 60 or so down the road and the thing would just start shimmying and the steering wheel would just start slammin back and forth so it kinda was a name well fit for it. :wink:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

ricerscott
Approved Member

Post by ricerscott »

Nice 260! I've always been a fan of the z cars, up until the 280zx's, I am not the biggest fan of those. I would love to do an rb25/26det swap to one.

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

[edited] added 7/30 and 7/31 to the original post up top

ricerscott
Approved Member

Post by ricerscott »

Those are definatly some odd compression numbers, as they are VERY low except for the last wet set. Those are a little bit closer to what it should be, but usually you only want a few psi variance between cylinders. I would probably do a rebuild on it.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

GAMMACRUSH wrote:and look what i bought from my neighbor for 20 dollars. its broken, it doesn't turn on. ive been reading about why/how they fail and how to diagnose one, its a tough read and kind of long too! if i can fix it that would be awesome. but i may have wasted 20 dollars. its a beast!
22 gallon 5hp 6.5@40 5.1@90 150psi
Pull the cover off the pressure switch, you'll probably find the contacts burn to a crisp which usually happens from running a compressor off an extension cord. The pressure switch is what kicks the compressor on/off as the air pressure fluctuates in the tank and will have the pressure gauge attached under/near it.

Before you do anything, you might see if you can get parts for it or whether it's a boat anchor. An air compressor shop may be able to coax it back to life if you can't figure it out or get parts for it.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

MOmo
Approved Member

Re: my life size tamiya rally (8/1)

Post by MOmo »

Sweet car! Are those Western Turbine wheel on there? Have a friend selling a complete set of those. Funny that my AE86 is sitting on 15in Datsun Z Swastika rims.

A fellow AE86 owner just picked up one of these but he decided to add just a bit of horsepower and went with the RB26 (Twin Turbo Skyline motor). If you want to see some pretty sick Z cars and classic Skylines, check out http://www.rockyauto.co.jp/ Specifically: http://www.rockyauto.co.jp/stock/stock.php?search=fairlady

As a Z enthusiast, if you haven't already seen the Anime Wangan Midnight, I encourage you to do so. Very cool indeed.

MOmo

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

edited

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

Awesome! I'm totally jealous !
I had a 1982 280zx anniversary edition back in the early 90's... basically it was my first car. (this one's not mine, but it is similar)
My dream car is still a 1976 240z. One day I will have one!!
Attachments
1.jpg
oops forgot to add pic. here it is.
1.jpg (25.25 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
1.jpg (25.25 KiB) Viewed 2830 times