Associated spurs that fit Schumacher?

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kaszal
Approved Member

Associated spurs that fit Schumacher?

Post by kaszal »

Hi, what are the best spurs for vintage CATs running the Bosscat slipper? I remember the RW Racing tufnol spurs were supposed to be good (got these on my MMS layshaft) but what ones fit the slipper? Thanks chaps.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Re: Associated spurs that fit Schumacher?

Post by Jay Dub »

I believe any standard associated style spur will fit the Bosscat slipper. Kimbrough, Trinity, Assoc. etc. -Jeff

Raul Garcia
Approved Member

Post by Raul Garcia »

Jay Dub wrote:I believe any standard associated style spur will fit the Bosscat slipper. Kimbrough, Trinity, Assoc. etc. -Jeff
Any spur from pan car style spurs, essentially ones with all the holes. I use Kimbrough.

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Thanks Jay and Raul

I wondering if the Schumacher spurs I have are out of shape or havn't been moulded round because the pinion binds up on one side but then is too loose when the spur turns about 180. It doesn't look like the layshaft's bent. Maybe the slipper thingy is not true. Are the Kimbrough ones machined and more "round"? My Procat's nearly finished - just got to put some new stickers and tune the shocks!

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

I can't say that I have (from memory) ever had a problem with Schumacher spurs. I used them for many years, and don't recal any issues. I also liked the Kimbrough gears (depending on the style of slipper). They are molded, and have always been very true IMO. The only spurs I have ever had a problem with, in the concentricity department, have been Robinson spurs. I have had similar issues like the one you describe. If it is a Schumacher or Kimbrough gear and you are still having issues, try a couple different spurs (just to see if they are all the same, -they can't all be out of round right!). If you are still having issues, then look at the layshaft to see if it is straight. Then look at the slipper assembly to see if it may be the culprit. I remember a Bosscat style slipper that I had which ran untrue (like you describe). It was because the layshaft had been turned down too far where the bearing for the outside half of the slipper assembly rode. This meant that there was play between the bearing and the layshaft. Because of this the slipper, and consiquently spur, would run untrue. I also remember on the Procat style slipper that it would wobble of the 5mm slipper nut wasn't threaded flat. When tightened it would make the layshaft bend slightly and cause the spur to be out of round and wobble. Good luck, let us know how it turns out. -Jeff

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Thanks Jeff. I found that the thrust washer plate wasn't quite seated flush in the slipper assembly. I'll try another make spur when I'm next down the model shop.

Can anyone help me find some new telescopic driveshafts for the Procat?

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

I want to try one of the CNC machined spurs 92T.

Could anyone post a link to an item they know fits?

Thanks for the help chaps!

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

In case anyone is interested, RW Racing Supalite spurs fit the Bosscat slipper perfect. Thanks to Neil at RW Racing.

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

Yeah i have bought from neil at RW racing to and they are awsome and can be bought in almost any size.

mvh Isobarik