"Edge" Saved and Headed for the Back Page - (Curtis Husting)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: "Edge" Saved and Headed for the Back Page

Post by scr8p »

Y'ernat Al wrote: I can't bring myself to dye anything black
that's what has me held up, not to mention, knowing exactly how much should be done. i'm thinking everything but the front end. the front body mount needs to be done though, you can see that in the color pic.

i quickly looked through my used parts yesterday and i think i have everything i need already dyed black. they'll just need a dip to be freshened up. i don't have a nice used (previously dyed) rear bulkhead, though. but while talking with reg the other day, he thinks he might one that'll work.

another thing i'm wondering is if the car should have a fiberglass trans brace. i kinda think it should.

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

I have a LOAD of parts already dyed from various ebay lots I've grabbed, so I have plenty of stuff if I wanted to swap in parts. I have enough to share too if Reg doesn't. :D :lol: Right now I'm leaning away from the true "replica" 'cause 1) like you say there's a lot hidden, so who knows. and 2) feel a bit cheesy going to "ask curtis" if he remembers which way the battery was oriented for example. :roll: I'm having fun just melding the b/w and color photo with the box art car(s) and other documentation of how those first cars were built. I do think I'm going to work the nose plate up though for authenticity. x2 on the trans brace idea.
- Brian -

My Gallery

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

with mine, i'm gonna go at it with the mind set that at "one time", everything on the car was black. there's an old pic of halsey holding one of his first rc10's and it was all black. so let's say this curtis car was at one time as well. the front end parts being white may just be a redesign of some sort............ as if they were fine with the back, and they were focusing on making the front end better...... hence the new white parts? maybe.

i know........ it's a lot of "what ifs". but none of my other replica are perfect, so why should this one be any different. it'll be more of a tribute than a replica. as long as it looks pretty close with the body on, i'll be happy. i'm still not cutting out the windows on mine, though. :)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I think this is the perfect build for a what you think might be on it. Not like we have an actual reference for it :P And Jason, I have looked and looked, I have no rear bulkhead to put in the box, I must have sent it to South Korea-

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Yeah cuz he didn't send it to me :shock: :roll:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Ahhhh, damnit--you still need one Johhny? sometimes I try to do too many things at once :| but at least I remembered that chassis :| when you know who stuck it to you-

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Ahhhh, damnit--you still need one Johhny? sometimes I try to do too many things at once :| but at least I remembered that chassis :| when you know who stuck it to you-

Yes ya did and that got some of the sting out.I aint whynin Just Laughin :wink:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

You still need one, Jason was looking for the 6010 style, not the newer type-

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Hey man the collars look good on the car man. I am glad they worked out for you. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Awesome work so far on the car. I like the paint man, very nice.

Jake

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Look what I stumbled upon this weekend on ebay. Only $11 is all it took.
decals.JPG
Now I can turn the corner and actually finish this thing.
- Brian -

My Gallery

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

cool. :)

over the last year or so i've had that sheet in my watched list a few times, but for some reason always forgot to bid on them.

still have to figure out what the "turbo" decal is from.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Y'ernat Al wrote:Look what I stumbled upon this weekend on ebay. Only $11 is all it took.
decals.JPG
Now I can turn the corner and actually finish this thing.
Those are 1/8 scale decals, I've got a set but could use another let me know if you want to unload them.

This is all very interesting!

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

scr8p wrote:..still have to figure out what the "turbo" decal is from.
No luck here either. I'm fairly convinced the sunglasses are part of it, as those are "turbo Style". But I've never had any luck figuring it out, even diving into 70's to 80's race car livery via google. It doesn't appear that the Turbo is Porsche or Carrera related, but the sunglass style is sure suggestive.
turbo-bl7.jpg
I Google Vintage Turbo Sunglasses and you get plenty of these, just no "Turbo" ('cept the script font off a 911 we are all used to).

I just want to get this car up on my wall. There are plenty of details that can happen later.

:D ....
Capture.JPG
- Brian -

My Gallery

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Re: "Edge" Saved and Headed for the Back Page - (Curtis Hust

Post by Y'ernat Al »

So I turned a corner on this one and dusted it off. This is my first "replica" attempt, and I have to admit that I struggle a bit trying to have the patience necessary to copy stuff too closely but it's working. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. (Next week it will be two whole years since I started this thread (...er scr8p - how's yours comin'? :wink:). In the beginning, I thought I would be able to paint it whatever three colors I wanted, because all we had was the b/w, but then Ruffy showed up with Husting's color photo and it became a bit more of a challenge for me....

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

To do list:
Get a driver, paint and install. I'm going to put a roll bar in too, per what I remember Curtis had posted about the car (when Vintagemishal painted one of these).
Install the black rear suspension, and body posts
FIgure out how the wing goes on without buttons (anyone have a clue here...Beuller :?: :?: )
Get a set of Sand Scorcher Paddle tires to go along with the Good Years - homage to the hand drawn version of this car on the manual cover.
Solve the proper decals for the wing, as well as the mysterious "Turbo" and sunglasses dilemma. I may resort to Adobe Illustrator and 6 pack for inspiration. :D
Probably should get a Mr Lexan gear cover for it.

Decisions to be made:
Decide whether I cut the side windows out. I have some netting that I can use even without window removal. Iwill need to dye it black -(it's blue).
Decide whether I care to hunt down the proper electrics. (I don't care enough about this yet to seek out Curtis on what may have been under the hood, but part of me wants to be able to run it though. (I'm thinking that putting in the older wiper speed control with another Novak 1A may be kinda cool)
Get a pair of chromed rear jelly beans (current outers are a Race Prep Holiday Buggy set I had drilled out to use on my first RC10 when I was 14. They work fine and I may just keep them on there.)

I don't know if I ever gave props, but thanks bigjeepzz for the shock collar hardware! Working out great man.
- Brian -

My Gallery

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Y'ernat Al wrote:
Capture.JPG
FoleY, not FoleX!!! :lol:

Superb car!
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.