RC10 buggy to truck conversion

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

smurf420
Approved Member

RC10 buggy to truck conversion

Post by smurf420 »

been buzzing around a few different forum's and saw a article about a kit that will make it to where your RC10 buggy into a truck.......and thoughts , or info about this and is it worth it?

scr8p
Administrator

Re: RC10 buggy to truck conversion

Post by scr8p »

alot of companies had truck conversion kits for the rc10. proline, jg, andy's, a&l, crp..........

is it worth it? well, that depends on what you want. if you want to turn an rc10 into a monster truck, then yes, it's worth it.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

the conversion kits were around when the truck craze started taking off, and guys were starting to race rc10 conversions against blackfoots, and other similar trucks.

the classes evolved enough that the manufacturers started selling real race trucks, ones that were car based, but utilized wider suspension to better absorb the terrain and provide a racing class chassis.

so if you are bashing and like the nostalgia, or want a cool piece of history to put on a shelf, then a conversion kit is for you. If you plan to race or want to experience a more race oriented vehicle, then look for an RC10T thru T4, with T4 (or T4.1) being the latest model available. Bear in mind that the farther you go back, the harder it is to find parts. Also associated isn't the only brand that sells a race class truck, losi, kyosho, etc all also offer competitive products.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

The only hard part about a truck conversion these days is finding wheels with the right offset. Wheels for truck conversions had a lot of offset, to make the trucks wider and more stable. Ever since the RC10T, dedicated trucks have had long suspension arms and the wheels that were more deeply offset. The new wheels will fit, but the truck will be about two inches narrower than it would be with the more offset wheels.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

hpi super star mt rims are easily found. they do kinda suck on the rc10 though. especially if your using the wide track front arms. if you use the 3/16 axles in the buggy, you can atleast use the losi adapter on the rear to widen the rear a little more.

i crash cars
Approved Member

Post by i crash cars »

scr8p wrote:hpi super star mt rims are easily found. they do kinda suck on the rc10 though. especially if your using the wide track front arms. if you use the 3/16 axles in the buggy, you can atleast use the losi adapter on the rear to widen the rear a little more.
I have Superstar's. I think they are ok, why do you think they suck?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i never said the "rims" suck. i said using them on the back of an rc10 (with the rc10 hpi adapter) that has the widetrack front arms sucks. the rear will be much narrower than the front. which is why i said using the losi adapters on the back will help that. they will push the rims out.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

scr8p wrote:i never said the "rims" suck. i said using them on the back of an rc10 (with the rc10 hpi adapter) that has the widetrack front arms sucks. the rear will be much narrower than the front. which is why i said using the losi adapters on the back will help that. they will push the rims out.
Yup, I have a set and the fronts have less offset than the rears. The fronts aren't fully offset either, but have more than the typical racing truck wheel, and more than the rears.

littlescreamers
Approved Member

Post by littlescreamers »

OH,

Like this one???
Attachments
BmTHSsQB2kKGrHqYOKkYEtl8DGR53BLfLVN70wQ_3.JPG

smurf420
Approved Member

Post by smurf420 »

yes just like that..........i want one :D

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

the best offset monster truck conversion wheels were darryl's A&L wheels they were super strong. i still run a set on my oval 10t but only on the right side for more offset. the coolest looking ones are the trinity baja's purple chrome, super rare and hard to find.

DrumAnBass

Post by DrumAnBass »

I like my RC10 truck conversion. It drives great. Biggest weakness is the suspension travel in the front. But it is fun to drive and is quite fast.

The CRP Blackfoot wheels to RC10 adapters are available on eBay; I just had to buy a set to replace the ancient ones on my RC10 truck conversion:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350339763682

But they require a funky nut extension thing; which the JG adapter kit comes with:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380190031792

Also needs Tamiya axle adaptors for the front:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350340430686

Here is a photo of the truck conversion runner I have; with a graphite chassis and mid-motor mod; combination of the Andy's (rear) and JG (front) truck body mounts.
rc10_full2.jpg
I also just picked up a pair of new tires for it as well:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220588228064

smurf420
Approved Member

Post by smurf420 »

does any one know where i can pick up the full conversion?........for another project RC10?.....i kinda wanna build a few different versions..... like the monster truck, a 4wd, and probably a mid engine.....then just one none modified (probably a shelfer) and one thats a runner..........can any one help?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

any MT conversion would need to be pieced together, unless you get lucky on ebay and find a complete kit.