2010 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS OFFICIAL THREAD• SEPT 16-19TH

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aconsola
Approved Member

Re: 2010 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS OFFICIAL THREAD• SEPT 16-

Post by aconsola »

I've run at all 3 vintage nats. Modern electronics really make it a more enjoyable event.

First year I had nimh cells, brushed motors, and used house transponders. I ran 3 classes and spent a lot of time charging, discharging, cleaning the motors, and making sure I had(and returned) the right transponder. I also tried running original losi kit wheels and tires, that was frustrating to say the least

second year I upgraded to brushless and lipo on 2 of 3 rigs and had a little more time to chat in the pits. Put modern rubber on vintage wheels for the truck since tire sizes are the same. Modern rubber on modern retro-fit wheels for the buggy, much better handling.

in 2010 I went full lipo, added personal transponders, and a second driver. I ran 3 classes myself, she ran 1, and I was never in a rush to charge. All 4 cars could easily go more than one round without topping off, and the motors required no attention the whole weekend. (I did have brushed in my lunchbox and her frog, but those are easy on motors) Personal transponders meant I could unplug on the way off the track, dump my stuff and get out to prep/sweep the surface without fumbling with the house units around a crowded impound area.

I've been running spektrum radios as well, no channel conflicts also makes for a smoother time at a big race.

I'd be happy to try to do a full vintage class. My entries have always been full old school except for the electronics and tires.
I've got a magnum 2pd-AM, tekin rx and esc all from the early 90's/late 80's All I would have to search for is an old school higher quality servo for steering.
Can you even get NicD sub-c batteries of any decent quality anymore? All I have seen locally is Nimh and super-cheapo nicd stick packs

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

First... Thank you Anthony! It really means a lot to hear you and your daughter had a great time. That's really my ONLY goal with the race.

I just want the rest of you to know that I do hear you and I actually do rack my brains trying to figure out a way that vintage could be more vintage yet still keep people happy and coming. As much as I'd love to see a class of true 1990 cars running my thought is that it woul only be a couple of us. Where's the fun in four guys running? I'd rather see 20!

So with that said I have wanted to bounce this idea off you all. What if we broke up 2wd into 80s and 90s? Short arm 10s go in 80s, long arm etc go in 90s? Not sure that woul really fix the issue but maybe it's a start. I was also thinking of stretching tings out a little bit and allowing b2s etc so that I could group them wiht the XX's since I think they're more relavent to each other.

What do you think?

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Erich, if you want to allow B2s, I'd suggest a mid-school class. The B2s and the XXs can run in it together. It could be a class of second generation race buggies. Cars that were total revamps from the first generation of race cars, RC10s, Jrx2s, Ultimas, etc. I think it would be a good idea.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Thanks Melvin. Originally I thought 80s and 90s but 90s is too broad and still has the rc10 and jrx2 in wiht the others. I'll have to work out a better name for each. Also for people like you I am thinking about splitting Heavy Metal or at least making a king blackfoot, king cab, etc class and leaving heavy metal for big trucks. I really dont' have any answer for you about motors beyond what we talked about already but maybe taking out the step between trucks that are faster will make running what you have a little more competitive for everyone with clods. I'm just afraid of this turning into 100 classes and the race takes forever ya know. Last year we ran two extra rounds of qualifying which wasn't nessecary but showed me that we have the room to expand so I'm not too afraid of it but i think the single worst thing that kills a race is too many classes to the point we don't get out of there until later sunday night.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I sold my old school Clod, so I won't be entering that class if I come this year.

I think a mid-school class would be good for buggies.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

A 2wd truck class that I can run my 10.5 LX-T would be great.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Just to ask, why divide and thin? What difference does the B2 and the xx make over the RC10- sure there are more than one version etc, but I am beating 12-15 xxx-t and T4.1 and RT5's weekly
with my 10t-

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Just to ask, why divide and thin? What difference does the B2 and the xx make over the RC10- sure there are more than one version etc, but I am beating 12-15 xxx-t and T4.1 and RT5's weekly
with my 10t-
I don't know. Clearly my idea of the definition of vintage is messed up.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Just to ask, why divide and thin? What difference does the B2 and the xx make over the RC10- sure there are more than one version etc, but I am beating 12-15 xxx-t and T4.1 and RT5's weekly
with my 10t-
in a way, you kinda explained why i don't want to see it opened up any more than it already is.

why would i want to spend the time and money to travel to a race where you run against more or less "modern cars", when i could just stay home and do it? if i felt like racing my old cars against newer stuff, i could be doing that week in and week out all summer long at my local track. but i don't want to. so i sure as hell am not going to travel far to do it.

of course, the fact that off-road racing does nothing for me helps to keep me from doing it, too. :lol:

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Scr8p how is an rc10 with a Comp Craft chassis, RPM arms and kyosho gold shocks any different than a "modern" old car? Tire size?

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Just to ask, why divide and thin?
Charile I look at it not as thinning but opening it up to more people. Someone (Freddie is the perfect example of this) may not have a rc10 but they have a XX... should they not be allowed to be part of the race? Where would this board and frankly my race be without Freddie?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

here's my philosophy....... whether anyone agrees with it or not.

the xx came out in 94, that's why it was allowed. how long was that car produced? up until 97-98? how about the b2? sure, it was a short production run, but it's more or less the same as b3. which was ae's flagship 2wd until what....... 2003? in my eyes, that doesn't count as "vintage".

the difference between those cars and what you just described above........ what you described is old. :wink:

for the record, if i can make it, i'll go no matter what. it's not as if i have a shot at winning any class i enter with the lack of offroad experience that i have. so i don't want it to look as if i feel i'd be at some kind of disadvantage against newer cars and that's the reason i'm vocal about it.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

I picked 94 more as a loose guideline. To me it was more or less the turning point in car design. Composite chassis' started to become the norm. Yes there was always some gray area in there and things like the XX for example make their way in. With that said though, I don't know a single person that was running the original XX or even the 2nd one by 1997 and I know there isn't a snowballs chance in hell a pro would've ever said "you know what... i'll just run the 94 edition one" even in 96 LOL. I do hear ya though brother and you ought to know that I always have appreciated your support and friendship. Don't count yourself out either, I seem to remember you being in the mix back in 08! I'd be honored to have you back!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Erich Reichert wrote:Charile I look at it not as thinning but opening it up to more people. Someone (Freddie is the perfect example of this) may not have a rc10 but they have a XX... should they not be allowed to be part of the race? Where would this board and frankly my race be without Freddie?
not trying to be a prick with this comment, and it's not directed toward any particular person, but.....

why cater to people? why does it have to be "everyone gets a chance to play" or "everyone get a blue ribbon at the elementary school track and field day" no matter how bad a kid did? you setup very simple rules. you allowed the double xx, where i wouldn't have, but that really besides the point. what little rules there are for this event, they should be followed. i wouldn't show up to some short course truck race with a 2wd buggy and expect the race director to let me run just because i showed up. i feel...... why should this be any different?

i know i'm kinda giving you a hard time about this, but i still love you man. :mrgreen:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Erich Reichert wrote:Don't count yourself out either, I seem to remember you being in the mix back in 08!
in the mix? is that what you'd call it? :lol:

hell, hoopty almost beat me and he'd never even been to a race before. i'f been racing r/c's since '91. :lol: :lol: