16 new plugs for maggie

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

wyldbill
Approved Member

16 new plugs for maggie

Post by wyldbill »

i put new plugs in the magnum today and it only took me like an hour and a half to do all 16. thats the fastest v-8 plug change i ever did, my old 94 s-10 v-6 use to take me like 4 hours. these new hemi's are easy, its pretty cool to just pop off the coil packs and toss in new plugs. not like the old days of multiple extensions, swivel sockets, and pulling of the front wheels to get to the rear plugs through the wheel wells. pep boys was doing a .99 cent plug sale for the oe champion copper plugs so it only cost me like $17.00 for plugs.

Halgar
Approved Member

Re: 16 new plugs for maggie

Post by Halgar »

Back in my automotive college days (85-87 ), we had a new Caddy come into the shop for a tune-up. Easy-peasy, everyone thought, until we popped the hood and see this transverse mounted behemoth shoe-horned under the hood! :shock: The front 4 cylinders took maybe 10 minutes to change out, it was the back four that took the additional 3 or 4 hours (according to the flat rate manual ... ). I don't recall the procedure, because quite frankly, my eyes started to roll into the back of my head when the hood went up. I was just thankful that it wasn't me that had to deal with it. I had my own concerns, I had a mid 70's Ford that needed new king pins. I literally spent the entire day with an air hammer trying to drive those damn things out! Eventually, they came free, and the new ones went in without a hitch. A few weeks later, another one came in for new king pins. Thankfully, since I'd already done a set, they gave it to someone else, when he pulled the keepers and the damn things nearly fell out on their own! :evil: :evil: I did win the "noisiest in shop" award at the end of the year! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Hey Halgar was that the Caddy ya had to pull the Intake to get to the s
tarter :?:
WB, my best bud has a Magnun SRT8 I couldn't even see 1 plug under the hood

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

rc10johnny wrote:Hey Halgar was that the Caddy ya had to pull the Intake to get to the s
tarter :?:
I don't know about the starter. I learned early on not to ask too many questions! LOL :lol:

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Try changing plugs on a ford ranger 4 cylinder, it has 8 plugs and you almost have to take the intake off to get to them.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

metallicats33
Approved Member

Post by metallicats33 »

markt311 wrote:Try changing plugs on a ford ranger 4 cylinder, it has 8 plugs and you almost have to take the intake off to get to them.
I remember doing a tune up on my ranger before I sold it... FYI, it only got 4 plugs that day :lol:

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

metallicats33 wrote:
markt311 wrote:Try changing plugs on a ford ranger 4 cylinder, it has 8 plugs and you almost have to take the intake off to get to them.
I remember doing a tune up on my ranger before I sold it... FYI, it only got 4 plugs that day :lol:
yea i hated that setup...i had a 98 ranger i got rid of it (engine went) the worst 4 cyl ever ... i hear that they stoped mid 2001 (some 2001s had the dohc 4 cyl) ...the motor was in rangers 98 to mid 2001.. only 3.5 years!!! try geting a rebuilt engine, not too easy..

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

It should be mandatory for ALL engineers to have to work on their products once in a while. Maybe that would stop them from doing a few of the stupid things they do. :roll:

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Halgar wrote:It should be mandatory for ALL engineers to have to work on their products once in a while. Maybe that would stop them from doing a few of the stupid things they do. :roll:
yes!!!!! i was a big fan of cars and trucks now i hate them all ... its all junk and anything thats decent takes too much gas or $$$$ to own... i tryed to sell cars for a bit .. its all a money making scam, they make cars to fail so they can make $$$... everything is set up for a 3 year lease... 36000 miles with minor work (oil/ filter changes) then sell the car used, things will start to fail and at 60000 the car need a big overhaul ...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :mrgreen:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Designed obsolescence is more a reflection on the ways of business and society (make it more quickly, cheaper, more profitable, finite lifespan ) than stupid engineering.

I'm talking about the guys who put frequently serviced items in unreachable places. We happen to be talking about cars, but there are few products out there that don't have prime examples of this. I was working on a brush chipper the other day and there was no access to the oil fill plug. I got lucky because I had the gas tank off at the time, so I had unobstructed access. The drain plug was in it's typical location where the oil oozes out onto the frame and runs everywhere but into the catch bin.

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

you have to remove the plastic engine cover that says hemi on it. the plugs are under the 8 coil packs that sit ontop of the valve covers.

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

He also had some weird lights put on it,some type of ballast res type now the place went out of buss,he's had nothin but trouble with them. he called me but this new stuff is way too much fot the "shade tree mech" Johnny

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

rc10johnny wrote:this new stuff is way too much fot the "shade tree mech" Johnny
One of the major reasons I hate the over use of computers in all things, but for the sake of this topic we'll leave it at cars.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Halgar wrote:
rc10johnny wrote:this new stuff is way too much fot the "shade tree mech" Johnny
One of the major reasons I hate the over use of computers in all things, but for the sake of this topic we'll leave it at cars.
we can go off road too .... now with "fool" injection on off road stuff it opens atvs and dirtbikes to a new world of problems...atvs are my thing and im almost done with all the new stuff...its not just cause of the "fool" injection. i hate digital gauges,power steering,electric shifter , solenoid/electric 2x4/4x4 and diff lock... this is my nightmare :shock: :shock: :shock:

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

YUP :!: DA GOOD OLE DAYS :shock: :? :? :? :lol: