Grasshopper hop-ups/mods...

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tamiya_d1_junky
Approved Member

Grasshopper hop-ups/mods...

Post by tamiya_d1_junky »

Hey guys, I'm just about to take delivery of a re-re Grasshopper to be built for beach runs. Can anyone give me some ideas on what the weakest parts are and what kind of hop-ups/mods I should do it. I will be running a 9t or 13t ezrun in it. Any tips or info anyone can give me would be much appreciated...

Conrad
I LOVE VINTAGE!!!

pastimesteve
Approved Member

Re: Grasshopper hop-ups/mods...

Post by pastimesteve »

First, have fun with the Grasshopper!

Regarding upgrades, I would suggest upgrading the motor to a 540 can motor with a Hornet motor mount setup, and replacing the rear pogo stick shocks with the Hornet oil shock setup. You'll have to get the re-re Hornet oil-filled shocks from the Hornet kit off ebay, shock mount brackets, and one of the Hornet parts trees (sorry, can't remember which one; I'll look for it and edit my post).

If you're going to run it on any other off-road surface besides sand, I suggest adding some small weights to a spare Hornet/Grasshopper front tire and wheel combo and attaching it to the rear Grasshopper body cage. This does two things, first it adds to the scale looks (if done right) and second, it adds some weight over the rear suspension so that it actually works a bit.

Finally, if you really want to go all-out, you can add a CRP FX-10 front suspension kit (on ebay). This gives you a double wishbone suspension and the ability to add oil shocks. It does make a big difference on the front.

Steve

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Not that this is a great deal of help in terms of telling you where to get the mods. However, it is the best example I know of a hopped-up Grasshopper - this guy makes some incredible cars: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=60259&id=418

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

You were reading my mind CNA. I was trying to find where I put pics of that bad boy.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Doomed
Approved Member

Post by Doomed »

CNA75 wrote:Not that this is a great deal of help in terms of telling you where to get the mods. However, it is the best example I know of a hopped-up Grasshopper - this guy makes some incredible cars: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=60259&id=418
I wish that dude would either make me one or sell me his. My favorite RC car, ever. Anyways, pastimesteve has hit the nail.

Oh and where did he get the slicks that fit the Tamiya buggy wheels?

tamiya_d1_junky
Approved Member

Post by tamiya_d1_junky »

CNA75 wrote:Not that this is a great deal of help in terms of telling you where to get the mods. However, it is the best example I know of a hopped-up Grasshopper - this guy makes some incredible cars: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=60259&id=418
Yeah, I saw this one breifly a few weeks ago, but didnt save it in my favourite cars on TC, and I couldnt remember his name. Now ive saved it. Yeah and if anyone could give me part nos for the parts i need to complete upgrades, that would be great. Or even better, if someone HAS the parts I need, send me a PM....

Thanks,

Conrad
I LOVE VINTAGE!!!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I remember seeing that a long time ago but forgot all about it. That thing is crazy!

Heres another one with IRS. I found it while browsing another countries eBay but forget which.
11090123752191.jpg
11090123752192.jpg
11090123752193.jpg

tulsa
Approved Member

Post by tulsa »

tamiya_d1_junky wrote:
Yeah, I saw this one breifly a few weeks ago, but didnt save it in my favourite cars on TC, and I couldnt remember his name. Now ive saved it. Yeah and if anyone could give me part nos for the parts i need to complete upgrades, that would be great. Or even better, if someone HAS the parts I need, send me a PM....

Thanks,

Conrad

sent you a pm.

pastimesteve
Approved Member

Post by pastimesteve »

Scollins did a really cool IRS conversion using an RC10 tranny and parts. I think it's still on Tamiyaclub.com somewhere. Maybe Steve (scollins) will see this and respond...

Steve

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Scollins/Steve hasn't been around here in a while. He moved to Milwaukee, took a job with Harley-Davidson and had another kid and was trying to start his Falcon resto. He's been busy.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

For beach running I would get a set of Mad Bull wheels and tires which are essentially Midnight Pumpkin/Lunchbox. They will roll on the sand better than narrower wheels.

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Check this thread for some hop-up suspension for sale (third post down): http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14732

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

That grasshopper stuff is neat to watch

vintage101

Post by vintage101 »

tucker330
Approved Member

Post by tucker330 »

The stock steering links leave something to be desired. I like to use a Kimbrough servo saver with some Dubro aircraft ball ends.