Ryuz FF

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JK Racing

Re: Ryuz FF

Post by JK Racing »

I personally think the initial lack of traction is due to the motor working against the chassis squat that produces more bite...the motor needs to turn the same direction as the tires to help it squat/bite when first spooling up. When I ran an X Factory 2wd buggy, they were still developing the 4 gear trans..didnt come quite fast enough for me (impatient) and I moved on before it was released. My main complaint was off corner "pop"...it just didnt have it. I have since driver a 4 gear version and it was great...

I will do some searching, but Paul from X Factory (mechanical engineer) explained why it makes a difference...somewhere...
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

This idea about motor rotation in relation to traction gain/loss is indeed a very interesting idea. Make quite a lot of sense to me :D

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

Motor direction does have some affect on traction especially on acceleration. I've run various mid-motor cars and depending on their handling a 4-gear transmission sometimes is just what is needed.

However, my theory is that the difference here is that the car is a FF as opposed to a rear-wheel drive car. Without the extra idler gear the reverse rotation of the motor is actually giving the front end more traction where it is needed. Funny thing is that the rules somewhat change for a FF. To counter the wheel-spin and pop off corners, I need more front traction not rear. :lol:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I don't think loosing the spoiler in the rear would be a good idea: you'd loose straight line stability with so little weight in the back.
Regarding 4th gear (or belt as I suggested in the earlier pages)... I think you'd need to try to figure out how it acts in reality.
What a car does with the wheels up in the air, may be completely different from how it acts when accelerating.

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

I have been running an XFactory trans in my mid motor sprint car. Basically, the motor is trying to climb the spur gear, so it squats the rear of the car. If you hold a rear tire down, and rotate the spur, the car will squat itself/wheely. I can actually watch the other cars without a 4 gear, and you can sort of see them lift up the rear end slightly.

I have found motor rotation to be pretty valuable in oval racing, so I don't doubt it could help here too.

bladeszx2
Approved Member

Post by bladeszx2 »

BloodClod,

I just stumbled onto this thread, and I've got to say, awesome craftsmenship. Very, very cool scratch build FF buggy. I'll have to see the video on my home web access, but the pics look great. Very, very cool.

Ben
I am an RC Scalehead and I am proud of it!

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

so this is a question to you old hands
do you think a front wheel drive car could have rear wheel steering?

Paul

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

treehugger wrote:so this is a question to you old hands
do you think a front wheel drive car could have rear wheel steering?

Paul
I'm thinking it would get way too loose & greasy in the corners if it had rear-wheel steering. Kinda like what happens when you push a grocery cart backwards. It turns TOO easily, and you'd end up fish-tailing everywhere.

I love the engineering of these FF cars, but are they as nose-heavy in the jumps as they appear to be?

They're an intriguing oddity but it's not for me.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

Iv wanted to do a front drive rig for ever...that looks so bad a$$ and the vid looks like it even jumps good . Me LIKEY LOTS...Your steerin system changed my thoughts and ideas i had...

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

im a week or so from mine being done i always liked the gallop progress steering i was thinking along the lines of no diff but rear wheel steering i figured the solid axel would take out the twitch and oversteer .

paul

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

JK Racing wrote:I personally think the initial lack of traction is due to the motor working against the chassis squat that produces more bite...the motor needs to turn the same direction as the tires to help it squat/bite when first spooling up. When I ran an X Factory 2wd buggy, they were still developing the 4 gear trans..didnt come quite fast enough for me (impatient) and I moved on before it was released. My main complaint was off corner "pop"...it just didnt have it. I have since driver a 4 gear version and it was great...

I will do some searching, but Paul from X Factory (mechanical engineer) explained why it makes a difference...somewhere...
But regardless of motor rotation, a non mechanically actuated chassis still torques in an upward direction nearest to the vehicles zero line. And just like all rifle barrels regardless of thickness they still go through the same motion.

The key in most instances is to make the reaction as consistant and controllable as possible-

I have no idea on gods green earth what that has to do with Fwd cars though :| The Japanese do some odd things :lol:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

BloodClod wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:35 pm Hi guys, thanks for all the positive input. This car is one of my RC dreams fulfilled. :)

Have always wondered what it would be like to drive something like this and have finally been able to do it - and so far it's handling has really exceeded my wildest expectations.

As for Mr "I crash cars" - no worries, been round forums long enough to know that everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Will post more detailed pictures of some sections of the car later - If time allows I'll have a slightly modified chassis done tomorrow to allow more "kick up" in the front arms.
I know this is a very old post an I'm sorry to bring it all back up lol but wow I'm just seeing it for the first time an like I said wow absolutely amazing dude.. so cool you actually made one of your own... I'm into old school rc but sadly I don't know alot about them like some on here.. if I had the knowledge or know how I'd definitely build one just to have 🥰.. very cool sir

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

And of course built when 3d printing wasn't a thing.
He did give it a run again not so long ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx2cKazRxyE