Welcome to the new home of ClodTalk!

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Forum rules
Keep it all things Clod!
DerbyDan
Approved Member

Scrapyard Bowtie Clodbuster project

Post by DerbyDan »

I've only just recently finished my Clodbuster project so I thought i'd share a few pictures with you all.

This is how it looked when I first found it looking very sorry for itself down at our local tip/'recycling facility'..... but for only £2 I couldn't complain :D

Generally, despite the broken shell, rusty springs, perished tyres & being dirty the chassis itself seemed to be solid & in pretty good condition, indeed with a complete strip down & clean..... & wearing a new ABS shell, the old Clod was looking much better;

Unfortunately I collected individual parts as I went along - which mean't that it must have cost me a small fortune - especially for the bodyshell parts... I have since seen complete sets - which although seem initially dear, must offer a considerable saving over buying parts seperately.

I managed to salvage & clean up the original shell's Bowtie grill & 'Chevy' tailgate. The pic below shows the bodyshell mocked-up with all the add-on bits & the shell itself has been rubbed down ready for paint. This would be the first non-lexan shell that i've sprayed, so was quite nervous spraying on-top of the crisp, white ABS.

The end result!

I couldn't justify the cost people were selling the original sticker sheets for so I decided to do a kind merge between the Super Clod & Original Clodbuster themes using a Super Clodbuster sticker sheet & cutting off the 'Super' lettering etc. I think it came out ok :P

I've done some upgrades along the way, adding a full ballrace set, aluminium anti-rotation brackets, home-made strengthening brackets (to mimick those found in the Super Clod), Those CVA shockers, & there's a light kit on the shell for the front lights. The Clod is running 2x 19t superstock motors (both originally fixed timing so gave some headaches!), a Tekin G10 fwd only speedo & i've 'hotwired' the standard 148 servo to 7.2v. Power is supplied by a 6cell 7.2 4200 East-Power battery pack.

I've ran it a few times & its a blast..... in a kinda rubbish handling but powerfull beast kinda way :lol: Steering is vague at best - but with the twin 19 turn motors it will wheelie from a standing start & pull an 'endo' if you're heavy on the brakes 8)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: Scrapyard Bowtie Clodbuster project

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Nice save!

A good high torque servo should help your steering.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

thats Sweet I always regreted getting rid off mine. you did a great job on the Build
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

Looks great,I really like the paint job.Why did the fixed timing motors give some headaches?Dont the motors on these run the same way?I will be fitting a pair of faster motors to mine so any advise would be good.

budhatrain
Approved Member

Post by budhatrain »

one of the motor needs to have the timing reversed because of the dual axles- one of which is pointing the opposite direction in theory.

Great looking truck!!!!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

budhatrain wrote:one of the motor needs to have the timing reversed because of the dual axles- one of which is pointing the opposite direction in theory.

Great looking truck!!!!
Exactly! - Although both the motors are 19 turn, one is an Orion the other a Matrix/Integy motor. The Integy motor's timing is fixed by the shape of the can - which mean't I had to fix a reciprical timing on the Orion, which in theory should be easily done after filing off the little peg on the end bell.... however in that position the clamp-ring was only just gripping the little lugs in the can. The long & the short of it is that I had to re-can the Orion motor from a spare Corally modified :roll:

Thanks for the kind comments guys, MelvinsArmy - yes I should invest in a decent Hi-torque servo :D

budhatrain
Approved Member

Post by budhatrain »

when I first had it in that state I totally giggled and loved playing with the truck- 4ws was just fun! I took it out last year on a big camping trip with a bunch of friends from church and let the kids (big kids too) just have a blast.

I am now building a CPE race clod with dual 4600 sidewinders and then a Zilla 2 retro rod to bash and go to NATS with. Clods are one of those timeless r/c vehicles that has endless playability and fortitude

delsami
Approved Member

Post by delsami »

i built a super clod exactly like the box art. it looked nice but i like this clod so much that i am gonna copy it. just got a old clod today!
xxx,lunchbox,blackfoot,t4,2 rc10ce's,rc10 graphite,rc10 worlds car,2 rc10 t's,xx4---GONE:mip4wdrc10,rpm worlds,houge rc10,super clod,sand scorcher,f103,frog,xxxt,b2,b3,tc3,jrx2,fox,yr4-m2 usa,yz-10 many more LOL