What's the most you've ever spent on r/c in one day?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

What's the most you've ever spent on r/c in one day?

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I'm much more curious about others than mine. Mine will pale in comparison I'm sure, but just to get things rolling. I spent about $950 the day I bought my Factory Team GT, Airtronics M8 and a few other small items to get it running.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: What's the most you've ever spent on r/c in one day?

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I think it was around $600 for a complete JPS Clod setup. Of course the truck that it became ended up being quite a bit more expensive than that in the end. It seems like my projects start out reasonably priced, but over time end up being expensive toys.

Now, when it comes to bicycles I've shelled out quite a bit more from the start.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

about the same, but only got one box for it. A baja 5bss kit.
I rarely spend a lot all at once, mostly because I am not good at saving and wind up wasting cash on lots of small things.
I'm currently building up my toy fund by selling off a bunch of extras and vintage stuff I don't use. Planning on buying/building a losi crawler fully decked out. Having a few hundred$ in the paypal account and not just blowing it is killing me. :roll:

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

I remember back in the day buying a Mountaineer, Team Car, 4 Team Smooth batteries, many AE parts, motors etc, all at once from RC Hobbies in Fort Lauderdale! I know I dropped over a grand US! My last "big" purchase was a Tamiya King Tiger and Sherman with some other parts and things, that was close to 2 grand CDN, and that was with my staff discount (cost plus 10%). Happy I have a Sugar Momma for a wife! :lol: Things are tough now though! When your son is into MX, that is a money pit!

ZZ Top came in the store the other day and dropped just over 3 grand. The band is heavy into RC!

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Bikes are a whole other ballgame. I went onto a local shop 2 years ago to get a new cyclocomputer for my mountian bike. Saw a used/refurbished full suspension bike that was the shop owners personal ride, walked out of the shop with a $2.5k used cannondale.

The wife wasn't nearly as impressed with my "good deal" as I was :lol:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

slotcarrod wrote:
ZZ Top came in the store the other day and dropped just over 3 grand. The band is heavy into RC!
Cool, what kind of stuff did they buy? Did you ask if they ever got their beards caught between a pinion and spur during a bench test?( :lol: sorry, random thought).
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

around 2000.00 on lipo batteries for one of my fast electric boats

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I’ve spent tons of dough on RC. I can’t remember the single most expensive things I’ve bought but a couple instances stand out. I spent about $1500 on a Baja 5B another $1500 for a custom High Lift with matching white bone trailer and pro boats catamaran boat. The one that stands out the most was when I spent about $1200 at a hobby shop buying up parts. My ex wife was there with me and couldn’t believe that one, I’d buy that much stuff and two, I had enough money in my paypal account to pay for it.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Probably around $800 or $850, and that was a NIB clod, radio, electronics, charger, motors, batteries, and a few other baubles.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Oh yeah, I forgot about my tank. I got a full option Tamiya Tiger 1, an Aber photo etched set, Kenny Kong metal tracks, the radio and a bunch of other detail and custom stuff, along with 2 or 3 reference books. I think by the end it was around $1300. Worth it though, that project took a few months to complete and I'm very happy with the results.

Cool that ZZ Top is into r/c. I guess that doesn't come as a big surprise given how they like full sized hot rods. I'd love to make a 1/10 ZZ Top Eliminator. 8)

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

hear is a close example of a ZZ TOP CAR
Attachments
b1cf_1.jpg
b1cf_1.jpg (18.99 KiB) Viewed 739 times
b1cf_1.jpg
b1cf_1.jpg (18.99 KiB) Viewed 739 times

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

murphy3428 wrote:hear is a close example of a ZZ TOP CAR
Now that is a bright red! :shock: I love it!
Ken

Heffay
Approved Member

Post by Heffay »

Well, the most I've spent in one day was $125 at the hobby shop, just the other day.
My RC10T was an ebay buy for 75.
Then I bought the brushless system for it for 75.
Then I had fun at the hobby shop on two separate occasions, the latter being the most expensive.

Now... the most my mom ever spent on my RC, when I was in the hobby in the late 80's, is far more than what I've spent since getting back in.
She bought the JRX2 and all necessary gear for racing in one fell swoop. Don't know how much fun that day was for her but it was a blast for me! :mrgreen:

So... do I win the low prize? :lol:
JRX2 in the late 80s... have since come to my senses with the RC10T, yes of course it's vintage! Wife is always destroying her Tamiaya LunchBox to call me her personal mechanic a few more times. Enjoying the fresh build of an RJ Speed Digger.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

$1400 over a 2 day spree.

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

I guess the most I can recall spending in one day was about $440 for 2 Slashes for Christmas...in a month's time about $720+ between 3 vehicles...since I just ordered my Sand Scorcher re-re.

I still have a $100 gift certificate from the LHS I need to spend...probably buy an updated battery charger, batteries, or Slash performance parts for my son and myself.
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...