Nitro Hawk help

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

harry697
Approved Member

Nitro Hawk help

Post by harry697 »

I'm hoping some of you guys are really good with gearing.I recently picked up a Nitro Hawk in really nice original condition.Truck runs great but it seem to be geared for the highway. :lol: I'm trying to get the ratio down so it's better suited for the track.Problem is the motor mount has no adjustment for changing spur/clutch bell.I remember a friend of mine bought an HPI Savage and it was a similar condition.His truck came with an extra CB and spur that was supposedly for high speed.The combination of gears kept the motor in the same spot,but the ratios were way different.I guess my question is,does anybody know of a pinion/CB combo that will give me more low end and still have a proper mesh without having to move the motor?

It has stock gearing now,which I believe is 66 spur and 20 CB.They are 32 pitch if it makes a difference.

I'm thinking something like 70/18,but not sure what will mesh the same as the stock setup.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: Nitro Hawk help

Post by klavy69 »

There isn't much you can do for the nitrohawks gearing. Most of mine run I believe a 20/66 or so.The nitrobuggy/nitrostreets run a 20/54 that I have sitting here. I've actually machined out the mount holes to accept movement but not recommended. Believe the first one I did was crooked. Didn't look to be crooked but burnt up either bearings or spurgears in a tank of easy running. I'll do some digging to see if I've got any other gear setups going and get back with you on this if no one else comes along with something by then.
Todd

just got off the phone with the LHS and he says that there should be enuf movement in the engine to put up a 17/66 or 18/66 and get it to mesh right which will give you more bottom end...he thinks...might have it backwards in his head since he hasn't done much with them lately. One of the locals that still runs his nitrohawks regularly runs an OS .18 in his one runner and runs a 20/64 but with that motor seems he has more than enuf torque to get the job done :lol: .
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Thanks for the reply.

I thought about it at work today and was hoping that my post made some kind of sense. :lol: I really don't want to go modding this chassis because it's still in very nice condition.Besides that,I didn't want to have to go through all the BS of making the throttle/brake stuff work right again once I did move the motor.I'm wondering if it could be as simple as dropping one tooth on the bell and going up one tooth on the spur.For some reason I just doubt it can be that easy.I guess I could always experiment with different gears,but I don't want to have to go and buy 20 different gears that I will probably never use just to find a set that works. :roll:

One thing I can say is that this trucks is crazy fast if you have enough room to get it up to speed.I was trying it out on the street a few days ago to test the new tuned pipe I fitted on it.The M3 Holeshots on the rear swelled up to about the size of a T-Maxx tire! I was just waiting for the to blow apart at about 45mph. :lol:

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Yep,
not recommended modding them at all. The messing around I did wasn't worth all the hassle but the chassis I did this too was 'reconditioned' to say the least. What motor you running?
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

klavy69 wrote:Yep,
not recommended modding them at all. The messing around I did wasn't worth all the hassle but the chassis I did this too was 'reconditioned' to say the least. What motor you running?
Todd

Got the original TRX12.This thing can't have much time on it.It came with the original tires and wheels,the rears were completely bald.Between the tires,the lack of scratches anywhere on the bottom of the truck,and the insane compression tells me that it must have only seen a couple tanks and only on the street.I found a replacement piston and sleeve on ebay,but I highly doubt I'll ever need it.I want to stick with the .12 because it is alot more user friendly on the track than the Pro15.

I'll try to get some pics up today if my computer decides to work with me. :roll:

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Looks like my wife must have uploaded a few pics by accident.These are during the rebuild process.

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

Its nice to see some Nitro Hawks on here. Heres a pic of mine...

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

i would go down 2 teeth on the spur if you could.. if i remember right, not alot of room under stock spur .. the chassis gets any dirt in it, it can go into the gear mesh .. i striped a few spurs on mine..this will make it have even more top speed .i know you want it to have more lowend but i rather not worry about spur gears.. i hope you have the newest nitro hawk engine.. i had the first one and when the engine got hot and stalled you could not start it till it cooled down...

USA-1
Approved Member

Post by USA-1 »

I also have a Nitrohawk that I used to race been highly modified I'm running a 54 spur (Stinger gear I modifed) and a 18tooth CB, 32 pitch was running dirt oval so I needed speed. I'm also using Stinger engine mounts.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Wow! Nice truck! You are the first person I've seen who has adressed both the rear skid and tower/bulkhead assemblies on this truck.Very nice work.I was trying to figure out how to keep my tower from swaying in the breeze. :lol: Looks like a very clean and effective mod.

USA-1
Approved Member

Post by USA-1 »

Thanks! Glad I could help.