Hard Work Paying Off

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

Hard Work Paying Off

Post by mrlexan »

Well, all those insane hours put in from March to October paid off yesterday afternoon. The company was picked as one of the two suppliers to work this specific program for the next few months. So, its good to know all that work wasn't for nothing (at least from the company perspective), now let's hope that they don't forget about the guy was in charge of making it happen when it comes to be that time :wink: . The bad part, in terms of workload diminishing, there is no light at the end of my time. I think it will get worse.

Yee-Haw!
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Re: Hard Work Paying Off

Post by Doc J33P »

But, you remain employed and that is what matters most. I thank God everyday that I am still needed and wanted where I work. Makes you realize you are lucky.
35 years of RC and still broke!

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Be glad you have a place to go every morning. My office closed the doors last Friday with no notice or warning. :shock: At least I have been spending the last 9 months preparing to start my own design firm and do it my way—the right way. No better time than now, right? 8)

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Jay, I'm glad working through the VONats paid off. ;)
Echoing others here, during these tough times it's nice to have work. I've had my own business for over six years now and the past year has been the busiest so far. I consider myself very lucky.
Good luck and I hope your company recognizes the sacrifices you've made on their behalf. Maybe send them the link to this year's VONats thread. :lol:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Eau Rouge wrote:Be glad you have a place to go every morning. My office closed the doors last Friday with no notice or warning. :shock: At least I have been spending the last 9 months preparing to start my own design firm and do it my way—the right way. No better time than now, right? 8)

Best wishes with that, seriously. 8) I went out on my own back in '95 and to be quite honest, I don't think I could work for another employer again. Calling my own shots, working for the folks that I want to work with, business relationships with whom I choose. Life got a whole lot nicer working for myself. I don't care to go back into the workforce ever again.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

Amen
Halgar wrote:
Eau Rouge wrote:Be glad you have a place to go every morning. My office closed the doors last Friday with no notice or warning. :shock: At least I have been spending the last 9 months preparing to start my own design firm and do it my way—the right way. No better time than now, right? 8)

Best wishes with that, seriously. 8) I went out on my own back in '95 and to be quite honest, I don't think I could work for another employer again. Calling my own shots, working for the folks that I want to work with, business relationships with whom I choose. Life got a whole lot nicer working for myself. I don't care to go back into the workforce ever again.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I guess for most the grass will always be greener on the other side of the fence.

Ive spent more than 10 years being a self emloyed Carpenter and Ive had my highs but also my lows with regards to money and job security. There have been times when Ive had more money than I know what to do with and then there have been months when things have been realy lean.

I was tired of the struggle and while it's neat to say you are your own boss it also comes with the cold hard fact that you rarely have anyone watching your back. People always seem to be one step ahead and at times I wish I had someone else with the business in mind to help out. I guess it just depends on what you do.

Recently my wife and I packed up everything we owned, left our most favourite place in the world, said goodbye to good friends and moved south for a solid job opportunity. While there have been small regrets there have also been great leaps in my career and we are confident this will pay off for our futures. Sure I have to turn up to work everyday. Sure I have to answer to someone but atleast I know what I can bank on each week. Atleast I know there are people who I can work with to obtain goals and see growth in what Im doing.

There are people who think they work for themselves. Do they have a registered company? Do they pay taxes? Do they have a viable sustainable business with some kind of plan for the future? I felt like I was going no where but atleast I now have hope. I dont need to worry about selling stuff from my collection to pay the rent or feed my family.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

bormac wrote:Do they have a registered company?
Yes. :wink:
bormac wrote:Do they pay taxes?
bormac wrote:Do they have a viable sustainable business with some kind of plan for the future?

To each his own! There is something to be said for both sides-- insurance or maybe even a retirement plan are great strengths for an employee, but in this day and age 'job security' is no longer a reality. Providing a quality service to folks on an as-needed basis, there is little chance of my workload ever diminishing.
On this issue most folks are fairly polarized and we'll have to agree to disagree today. :D
Best of luck with your new endeavor Bormac!!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I know it's easy to criticize when you have something (don't know what you got til it's gone thingy), but what bothers me is somewhat in line with Halgar said, answering to someone else. Just from March to October, I invested 632 hours of my own time with no guarantee of getting that time back, not to mention not making my wife happy either. This doesn't include the hours I didn't count from Jan to Mar and Oct to today. When you do the math, that is a HUGE hourly pay cut. In the financial times of today, I think those that you have to answer to, do use the opportunity to there advantage......... that is what bothers me. Cut me some slack on what you toss onto my shoulders in terms of workload. I have sacrificied alot in recent months.

You are supposed to work to live, not live to work.

I don't want it to come across that I am not grateful that I am employed or greedy in terms of expecting something.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I guess you have to pick your battles. I was fortunate enough to have an old employer ask me to come on board and join the management team at his commercial building company. We are like old mates that go way back to the beginning of my trade.
Over the past few years Ive moved from an on site Carpenter building/renovating houses to being a Building Supervisor with a couple of companies. My old employer needed someone to help him further develop his business and it has been my role to search out prospective clients at major shopping centres throughout Sydney and the surrounding regions. Im also being schooled up on running the office and this will lead to bigger things.
While this is hardly like holding down a job at NASA it does keep me very busy. My days are long and I work through the night on occassion with the 'nuts and bolts' of the business. Im not realy inspired by what we do but Im greatful for the opportunity and will learn all that I can while I can. Perhaps this will open doors in the future for me.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

There are valid reasons for and against working for yourself or an employer, and the main thing is that you can provide a roof over your head and a meal on the table, whether it be through employed, self-employed, part or full-time work.

It is nobodies business really how you do it, but hold your head high that in these times, you are surviving. Employers do expect a lot now, and employees now have to work like it is their own business that they are running, putting in the long hours, staff meetings in your own time etc to stay in the game. It really isn't right and not often appreciated and work goes unnoticed.

In these hard times, no job is stable and my wife and I are blessed that we were fortunate and lucky enough to have purchased a house years ago. We were able to strike whilst the iron was hot, and snag a bargain, but I feel for and understand those today that need at least $350k to buy or pay ludicrous rental prices. It is really unfair. We have family with children trying to get into their first home, working hard long hours, but with jobs that don't pay enough to get into the market. And sadly borrowing money off family members at times to meet a car payment or pay the rent when an unexpected catastrophe occurs, even moving back home with the parents to make ends meet :( No longer is the goal to “buy a house”, but to pay the bills at the end of the week.

I worked from the age of 16 with my father building, and was able to start saving and buying and swapping from a young age to get where I am now. My father who passed away of cancer recently worked 2 jobs most of his life to try to provide the best for his family. In the end, working his guts out to die of cancer early in retirement seemed very unfair to us. He said” you don't need flash cars and houses, who cares what you do for a job as long as you have family, can eat and somewhere to sleep”. Seeing him work so hard and watch everyone else enjoy the fruits of his labour has really hit home.

My wife has always had a regular income, works for an employer, and goes through all the long hours, meetings, extra study, extra work in her own time, and at the end of the financial year, tax figures show that I spend more than I earn, and we just plod along. We don't have a flash house at all, nor do we want to, and there are no plans ahead to upgrade. We could not afford it. And I would hate to have to “live to work”. We don't have children yet, just 2 dogs, and guess we just make it by each week. It is our choice.

This is not a gloating reply, but an understanding from both sides having worked for employers and worked for myself. No one has an easy journey to get where they are now, nobody can compare occupations and incomes, we all have our own stories, missed opportunities and some “golden handshakes”.

I am thankful today that I worked hard with my father and that he taught me many things which I will carry on through life and be able to pass to my children. He was the best employer I have ever had.

Congrats on all of those 625hrs extra hours paying off. You would be any employers dream employee. Respect man! Remember that Good things come to those who wait :)

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

vintage racer wrote:at the end of the financial year, tax figures show that I spend more than I earn
How do I get that position?? :wink:
Jeff

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

My lovely wife pulls us through :)

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

vintage racer wrote:My lovely wife pulls us through :)
How do I get your wife? :lol: Maybe we could work a trade.
Jeff