Introduction and Request for Suggestions

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mattxb
Approved Member

Introduction and Request for Suggestions

Post by mattxb »

Hey guys, I'm new around here. I just picked up an RC10 for a project off of ebay a week or so ago and found this web site as a result. I am excited to find such a large group of people who are still into old RC10s. I have been in and out of the hobby since I was about 12 years old. I'm now 33. The RC10 holds a special mark in my hobby life because it was the first REAL RC Car that I ever got to experience thanks to a friend in grade school. I purchase one for myself many years ago but it was very incomplete and never actually ran. Now I have finally gotten around to getting another and have a few thoughts as to what to do with it and you guys seem like the perfect people to help with suggestions.

Here is the RC10:

I had originally thought about building up a Jammin Jay replica like a couple other really nice ones I have seen on here so I picked up these front wheels off ebay shortly thereafter:

and that is still an option, but I think I want to run this car at least a little and would hate to ruin the mint front wheel set (I am not sure if these are rare or repro's so info here would be appreciated)

The other thoughts I was having about this car was to build a replica of the RC10 found on all the Gold Pan kit boxes. I always really liked that paint scheme. So I thought I should probably find an Associated Stock Motor and run it bone stock with mech speed control and all.

The other idea was to do the box replica but find some old period correct electronics for ESC and find something like a Reedy Modified, Stock or whatever type of motor would have been found in these RC10's back in the early days of racing. That way I could experience what it would have been like to race these things 25 years ago.

So what would you guys suggest, or rather what would you do with this RC10 if it landed on your doorstep?

secondhand_rc

Re: Introduction and Request for Suggestions

Post by secondhand_rc »

well, i'd clean it really good put a chassis protector on the bottom save the stock wheels and put some other ones on it and race it in some vintage classes but that's just me? mine sat on a shelf for a while i just recently tokk mine out and starterd getting replacement parts for it seems sitting actually did more harm then good.......good luck with your project!
Rich

cars:
tamiya blackfoot
rc 10 championship edition
traxxas t-maxx 2.5
CEN matrix TR arena
CEN matrix c1 buggy

HotRodJosh
Approved Member

Post by HotRodJosh »

Personally, there are plenty of others doing "replicas" that I myself would never build one...or a "box art" car...etc...
I like RUINING them my own way by building them like I remember we did when they first came out....that INCLUDES dyeing the nylon parts, drilling the chassis full of holes, polishing parts, adding all the cool "to have" aftermarket parts from BITD, etc. So unless an RC10 is absolutely PERFECT already, I see no harm in building one non-stock, despite the criticism from purists.
I plan on doing one just as I described and RACING it,vintage electrics and all...and not in a vintage class, but against the new buggies.....maybe not competitve, but should be fun as hell. :mrgreen:

Regardless of how you build yours....be WARNED....these can be very ADDICTIVE, and soon you'll have a whole FLEET! :lol:
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription.....is more cowbell."
Pinstriping by Josh

mattxb
Approved Member

Post by mattxb »

Well, I am leaning in yall's direction. I definitely want to run it, at least some. Its not mint, but it is in excellent condition, a little cleaning and I think it would look GREAT.

mattxb
Approved Member

Post by mattxb »

What kind of wheels should I begin to look for that will have easily replaceable rubber? Any kind of adapters needed, etc?

I want to keep this as low buck as possible, because most of my money goes into my Losi 8IGHT 2.0 race buggy. There is no 2WD 10th scale class anywhere around here, so I will only be running this thing for my enjoyment only.

Thanks,
Matt

HotRodJosh
Approved Member

Post by HotRodJosh »

Here ya go....some options on parts needed to use common 2.2's.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8848
Pinstriping by Josh

mattxb
Approved Member

Need Help with the 6 Gear

Post by mattxb »

Hey Guys, need a little help.

I am missing the large E Clip that spaces the idler gears in the trans. What size is it and where can I find one?

Also, they have a lot of play, could this be caused by the missing Clip, or is there some bearings that need to be replaced inside the idlers?

One last thing, what size allen head is on those TEENINY screws on the idler gears, I don't have anything that small.

Otherwise the resto of my RC10 is going GREAT, this car is in fantastic condition, it was really hardly ever used.

FYI the picture below is not of my trans, I got this pic off ebay to help show what I am asking about in case I have some wording wrong when describing the parts.

Thanks,
Matt

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i merged your posts together.

the idler screws are .035. as for the e-clip, i would think it's 3/16. a quick google search and you should be able to find them somewhere. a local hardware store might have them, too.

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Welcome, Ihave some xtra black gears,screws.allen wrench you are welcome to send your address to me There yours JohnnySr.

mattxb
Approved Member

Post by mattxb »

Awesome Johnny, that would be great. Any chance you have an E-Clip too? :D

I will PM you my address now.

Thanks.

mattxb
Approved Member

Post by mattxb »

BTW Guys, I am not going to use the Jay Halsey wheels and tires, so if you know anyone who may be looking for a set shoot them my way.

Thanks,
Matt

HotRodJosh
Approved Member

Post by HotRodJosh »

Just take the shaft to the hardware store and match up the correct size E clip....it's just a standard size, nothing special.
Pinstriping by Josh

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Welcome Matt. I dig the mechanical speed controller. Reminds me a lot of my first rc10. There are a great bunch of guys here that will help you with any issues or parts you might need. I say build the car exactly as you want it. I have a couple very original cars and several modified/dyed/drilled and polished cars. It's boring doing them all the same! :lol: I'm also not big on trying to replicate someone else's work - although I'll borrow from it shamelessly. :mrgreen:
Gary