mx-4 mr-4 bc/s spur gears, getting hard to find?

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

littleVETTE
Approved Member

mx-4 mr-4 bc/s spur gears, getting hard to find?

Post by littleVETTE »

just wondering if any of you yok owners are having trouble finding spurs for your mr-4's and mx-4's. i know i do when i go looking for the 84t or any other tooth spur for my rigs. especially for the slipper clutch setup.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Re: mx-4 mr-4 bc/s spur gears, getting hard to find?

Post by littleVETTE »

if anyone is interested let me know. i'm in the process of waiting for a set of spurs for these cars. 78 to 87 tooth is what is on the table at the moment.

i know the the mx-4 chassis' could accomodate the larger spurs, with it's chassis being milled just for this reason. for the plastic tubs of the mr-4's the max spur is a 84t, and anything smaller will be no problem. at the moment this will only be for the buggies with the slipper clutch setup (with the b4/t4/b44 style octogonal slipper pads). the mx-4's i'm aware of the different slipper clutch, no pads setup, than the mr-4's. if the demand is there i'm sure he'll make those as well.

i know the main reason why a lot of people get frustrated with these buggies is because of the availabilty of parts. especially after yokomo took their store off line, making the parts harder to find. and if you do find them they'll cost a rediculous amount.

let me hear your thoughts on the spurs you guys want. teeth, b4/t4/b44 slipper pad type, no slipper pad type, and even the regular 4 hole spurs for the the standard mx-4's and mr-4's.

i know that the mx-4's use a 4 hole zm-p84 84t spur, for the slipper clutch setup. for the mr-4's they either use a sg-4884 (precision)84t spur, zs-s78 78t spur, or the zm-s84 84t spur for the main gear. these are for the no slipper setup. for the mr-4's setup WITH a slipper clutch there is only 1 spur available, the zs-s84 84t spur. with all the brushless setups out there having larger/smaller spurs can help you out greatly against the competition all day.

mx-4 slipper clutch:

mr-4 slipper clutch:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I would like the integrity of the pictures in the bottom, but if only spurs I'd take the one that goes on the top 2 pictures.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

thanks, i'll take that as a vote. lets see who else is interested.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

so i take it that all the yok owners aren't running their buggies? or, does everyone have a fat supply of spurs?

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

might be, but the title of your subject is a bit misleading too.
At first I thought: "Oh god, another one who's unaware of their rarity and wants to know where he can find some cheap". I really don't know why I opened up the thread after that.
Anyway, maybe with replies building up it will attract more attention... I hope it does

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

me too. i would like to see some spurs made for both buggies. i love running my buggies at the track once in a while, and off. i love running them with both brushed and brushless. having a back up of spurs, of all sizes, makes you wanna run the rigs every week. this will take away the nervousness of wrecking a spur, and putting the buggies away.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

That's why I 'd rather have the later slipper: it can take modern spurs and is more effective than the small diameter one of the MX-4

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

i hear you on that. the mx-4 slipper is pretty much a joke with it's smaller pad.

let me ask you then, since your the only one. you think a 78t to 84t spurs would be a good starting point for a set of spurs to have? or do you think adding larger spurs up to 87t would be the limit? i personally haven't seen a whole lot of people using carbon chassis' with the milled hole for the larger spurs, much less the plastic ones modified for the larger spurs.i know for the mx-4's this wouldn't be a problem.

if you know of another gang of people that would be interested, let me know.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I guess the smaller spurs would be ok for most: they're a better fit for brushless motors and brushed stock moters.
Not sure if the smaller pinions could reach those spurs though...

Maybe a topshaft for a more efficent slipper system could be machined and use the slipper parts from the madrat for example?

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

that's what i figured. i'll drop him an email for the 78t to 84t spurs for now. i'm pretty sure once everyone sees that their doing yokomo spurs he'll get more demand for the other spurs.

i thought about that too, about a more efficent slipper setup. but if you think about it the zs-670 slipper clutch is pretty much a stout setup. large b4/t4/b44 type slipper pads and all the associated parts. it is a pain in the ass to get to but it does the job very well.

Sasha8066

Post by Sasha8066 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yokomo-ZM-S84-48-Pitch-Spur-Gear-84T-for-MX-4_W0QQitemZ200392226176QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea84eb580

Found this auction this weekend, if you're interested - it's an 84T. Bought one myself (as I too am afraid of shredding the spur) - thought about picking up some of the other slipper bits he was selling, but as you alluded to, the stock slipper pretty much has to be locked out and I figured I could make a rulon/teflon "pad" if needs be out of sheet of it.

And completely agree with the thought of a different layshaft. In a perfect world, the mid bulkhead of an MR-4BX combined with rear bulkhead of an MX-4 - in a simplistic form -the same rear bulkhead as today, with a larger diameter bearing for the nut end of the shaft.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

Sasha8066 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/Yokomo-ZM-S84-48-Pitch-Spur-Gear-84T-for-MX-4_W0QQitemZ200392226176QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea84eb580

Found this auction this weekend, if you're interested - it's an 84T. Bought one myself (as I too am afraid of shredding the spur) - thought about picking up some of the other slipper bits he was selling, but as you alluded to, the stock slipper pretty much has to be locked out and I figured I could make a rulon/teflon "pad" if needs be out of sheet of it.

And completely agree with the thought of a different layshaft. In a perfect world, the mid bulkhead of an MR-4BX combined with rear bulkhead of an MX-4 - in a simplistic form -the same rear bulkhead as today, with a larger diameter bearing for the nut end of the shaft.
yeah, i saw that auction as well. and that's my point of getting some spurs made in abundance. you don't want to be sidelined, and waiting for one/several to pop up. they should be out there so you could race as hard as you want and not fear a broken spur.

i think that's the fun thing about yokomo, you could put a hybrid or a frankenstien yok together from other rigs.