Kyosho Optimas - NIB

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CNA75
Approved Member

Kyosho Optimas - NIB

Post by CNA75 »

I've been watching these listings - unfortunately, I don't have the cash to buy any of them:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KYOSHO-TURBO-OPTIMA_W0QQitemZ290343867752QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Vehicles?hash=item4399d7d568&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262#ht_500wt_956

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KYOSHO-TURBO-OPTIMA-MID_W0QQitemZ290343556632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Vehicles?hash=item4399d31618&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262#ht_500wt_956

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KYOSHO-OPTIMA-MID-CUSTOM-SPECIAL_W0QQitemZ290343864622QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Vehicles?hash=item4399d7c92e&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262#ht_500wt_956

However, I'm interested in people's opinions as to which one would be the more sought after from a vintage racer perspective. That is, taking into account which car is best for racing, which is the oldest, which was most popular in its time, which faired best against its competition....

Grateful for any thoughts....

karnivool
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Optimas - NIB

Post by karnivool »

first ill address the age in order, turbo optima, turbo optima mid, optima mid custom special.
from a racers point of view the 2 mids have to be a better choice as the turbo optima is a chain drive buggy
(can be upgraded to belt) and the mids are belt so more reliable/efficent. shocks are the same on all 3,
the mids have the motor in front of the back wheels for better balance, custom special has a longer wheelbase
fibreglass chassis...competition wise not to sure there, they are all great cars though. :wink:

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Thanks for that info. Does anyone know how they compared against their peers in races?

(Mods - feel free to move this thread to the Kyosho section if you prefer - my intention is not to discuss the auctions per se but rather the cars being auctioned.)

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

CNA75 wrote:(Mods - feel free to move this thread to the Kyosho section if you prefer - my intention is not to discuss the auctions per se but rather the cars being auctioned.)
Done did it.

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

if ur looking for a nice vintage kyosho project I have just listed a triumph on ebay check it out http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320422671238&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT the triumph was a great buggy in its time this project would be good for either a shelfer or a runner, if you are interested or have any questions feel free

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

murphy3428 wrote:if ur looking for a nice vintage kyosho project I have just listed a triumph on ebay check it out http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320422671238&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT the triumph was a great buggy in its time this project would be good for either a shelfer or a runner, if you are interested or have any questions feel free
Thanks, but I'm not looking to buy. I'm just interested in tapping into the knowledge of those on this forum who raced Kyosho Optimas back in the day and, more specifically, which of the Optimas referenced in my first email was the most sucessful against its peers...

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I would pick the Mids to race with. The original Optimas are fantastic but I tended to loose screws and the transmission, while beefy, didn't have enough adjustments. I put a belt conversion on mine to eliminate the chain. Not that the chain was bad, it was just so I could go with less maintenance. Lots of disassembly too required for the original to access the transmissions. The Mids were more balanced, easier to maintain and had more adjustable transmissions.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

For racing I would vote for one of the mids also. I have a mid with the streched graphite chassis on it and it is still one of the best handling cars I have driven. I am trying to find come tires so I can drive it with my Castle 5700 in it. Can't wait to see how it will hook up.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS