RC10 Factory Works MIP 93' Worlds Racer Restoration

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

Re: RC10 MIP 4-10 Legend Build

Post by GoMachV »

I have a set of nip white losi wheels for 1/4" associated if you don't locate something better

I have a mip battery strap that was loaned to me by a member, if he is cool with it I can copy one for you as well. The black material I have is much shinier tho
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

you can make the shiny fiberglass matte by scuffing it uniformly with a 3m/scotchbrite pad.

yes, the wheels are the rc10 losi disc wheels, those are what I meant, they are the same offset as standard rc10, just use the discs. The other wheels you have are interesting with not much offset, not sure what they fit?

b44 fronts use a 10mm hex, so you could use them, just need to adapt the hex.

as for the modified gear cover, what I would use is thin double sided adhesive tape, roll it around the outside of the 'inner' part and leave the paper backer on until you align the 'outer' half, then remove the liner so it can stick. that's kinda what the picture looks like to me, there is definitely overlap.

BTW, this is an awesome score, and great job so far!

Vintagemishal
Approved Member

Post by Vintagemishal »

vsefiream wrote:The wheels in the vintage photos are probably Losi disc wheels for RC10. I see them in white and yellow on Ebay from time to time. They seem to sell at fairly low prices for NIB sets. I had them on this car in yellow and on my stealth in white:

I believe you correct. Those are definitely them! I was thinking after I posted, why did I say B2/B3. Much too new for this.

Vintagemishal
Approved Member

Post by Vintagemishal »

clm wrote:Above the 4-10 it clearly says 'MIP'

As for the esc, likely one of the 410 line, the 410 m5 was oddly more popular back then over the higher end m1 or mxc with racers even though they tended to go through the trouble of converting from 4 to 3 wire setup.

Chris

Edit: judging by the wide secondary heat sink and the wires exiting from the back instead of the side... I am guessing a later 410 M5 without solder pop fuse.
I was thinking 410 as well. I do not have a 410, only several T4's and a 610. I figured it said MIP, but could not make it out. Getting old and my eyesight isn't what it used to be!

Vintagemishal
Approved Member

Post by Vintagemishal »

gomachv wrote:I have a set of nip white losi wheels for 1/4" associated if you don't locate something better

I have a mip battery strap that was loaned to me by a member, if he is cool with it I can copy one for you as well. The black material I have is much shinier tho
That is cool with me Jeff! If you could make one, I would be happy with a copy! I would not mind the white wheels at all. I don't like the mismatched colors even though is appears this way in the photo. I wish there were more photos of this car!

Vintagemishal
Approved Member

Post by Vintagemishal »

jwscab wrote:you can make the shiny fiberglass matte by scuffing it uniformly with a 3m/scotchbrite pad.

yes, the wheels are the rc10 losi disc wheels, those are what I meant, they are the same offset as standard rc10, just use the discs. The other wheels you have are interesting with not much offset, not sure what they fit?

b44 fronts use a 10mm hex, so you could use them, just need to adapt the hex.

as for the modified gear cover, what I would use is thin double sided adhesive tape, roll it around the outside of the 'inner' part and leave the paper backer on until you align the 'outer' half, then remove the liner so it can stick. that's kinda what the picture looks like to me, there is definitely overlap.

BTW, this is an awesome score, and great job so far!
Thanks, some more excellent advice. I was thinking that even with the white wheels, I could paint the discs fluorescent yellow and they would look the part, only with a white lip. Could look cool. I am pretty sure the front wheels are the MIP wheels that came with the 4-10 kit.

Vintagemishal
Approved Member

Post by Vintagemishal »

If anyone has a MIP decal sheet like this in Yellow, please let me know.

Thanks,

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Vintagemishal wrote:

As for the esc, likely one of the 410 line, the 410 m5 was oddly more popular back then over the higher end m1 or mxc with racers even though they tended to go through the trouble of converting from 4 to 3 wire setup.

Chris

Edit: judging by the wide secondary heat sink and the wires exiting from the back instead of the side... I am guessing a later 410 M5 without solder pop fuse.
I was thinking 410 as well. I do not have a 410, only several T4's and a 610. I figured it said MIP, but could not make it out. Getting old and my eyesight isn't what it used to be!

Here ya go,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-NOVAK-410-M5-SPORT-Model-Hi-Frequency-ESC-Speed-Control-/200979447793?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ecb4efff1

Chris

P.S. Receiver looks to be a Novak NER 3FM
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

Vintagemishal
Approved Member

Post by Vintagemishal »

clm wrote:
Vintagemishal wrote:

Chris

Here ya go,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-NOVAK-410-M5-SPORT-Model-Hi-Frequency-ESC-Speed-Control-/200979447793?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ecb4efff1

Chris

P.S. Receiver looks to be a Novak NER 3FM
Thanks Chris, I am watching that for sure! Will need to find the receiver as well. I only have XXL's and XXTRA's.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

As much as it does look right, it seems odd a driver at that level would have ran the budget entry level esc
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

gomachv wrote:As much as it does look right, it seems odd a driver at that level would have ran the budget entry level esc
It does seem strange.... but they were used by the top drivers as well.

This is from RCCA back in 92 march and april editions, I remember at the time I thought it was odd. Maybe novak did that to sell more m5's?

There were more 410 m5's in the 2wd mod class then any other single type of esc...

Chris
Attachments
91 roar offroad nats.jpg
91 roar offroad nats kyle reeds car.jpg
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

Could it be that the M5 was just as good as any other ESC Novak made at the time?

I remember the story on here about Tekin charging a ton more ($100 extra I think) for gold FETs, which were exactly the same as their "entry level" FETs, according to their designer.
GARBO 1/8

mikea96

Post by mikea96 »

That M5 was a good esc! I have one NIB and cant bring myself to mount it in anything. :lol:

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Joel Johnson's '91 winning RC12LW used a 410-M5.

A caption under one of the pics in the RCCA article on the car called the M5 "the best ESC without a torque limiter."

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Only thing that I think the 410 m5 was missing was a torque adjustment and 3 wire setup as stock. It was normally a 4 wire speedo, the 410 m1 essentially being a 3 wire version of the 410m5... although I don't know if the m1 ever was made without the solder pop fuse.

Chris
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T